Found cat
Tortie tabby, not a feral

• Please log in to reply
1338 replies to this topic

#26 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:13 PM

kerri76, thanks for that link. I'm glad vets don't typicall charge for the chip check. That rescue has low-cost desexing this month, too, which might be very handy.

I've never had an un-fixed female... how do the vets know if they are pregnant? I'm getting an image of it laying on the table being jellied for an ultrasound but I suspect that's not how anything works.

Maybe she's just a pudge. hands.gif

#27 kerri76

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

They will just prod at her stomach a bit to tell if she's pregnant or not. She may just be full of worms....

#28 joanne76

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

I work with Catrescue so hopefullly I can give you some helpful advise.

The law is that all stray animals be scanned for a microchip, if the owners cant be contacted by the microchip details the cat will be impounded at you nearest councils pound. If she is microchipped she will be held for 14 days before euthanisia, if she is not microchipped they will hold her for 7 days.
during the impound period you can put you name on her, meaning if her owners dont claim her you can adopt her. By law they have to keep her for this period.

If I were you I would take her to the vet for  chip scanning and find out if she is pregnant. If she isnt chipped I wouldnt take her to the pound. The chances are very high that in the pound she will contract Catflu, this would be ok for an adult cat but if she gave birth in the pound her kittens stand very little chance of surviving cat flu without hands on medical help from an experienced group of carers (most vets would euthanise them).
If you take her to the pound you will have no choice but to leave her as it is the law, this is why i would go to a vet clinic instead.

The catrescue website has some good information on what to do if you find a stray cat. If you decide to keep her we are running a subsidised desexing programme at the moment, desexing will cost you only $40.

Unfortunatly we have no available foster carers to take this cat (assuming she isnt microchipped) but we are always happy to work with members of the public who are willing to work on a one off foster carer basis.
Have a look at the website www.catrescue.com.au there is lots of info there as well as our contact details.
Good Luck, Jo

#29 Tecopa

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

Another vote for keeping Roswell! I have been adopted by many cats while I was growing up and it was always wonderful. One original cat though didn't like the other cats that adopted us so walked down the street and adopted another family - who came to us to tell us it was love and they wanted Jezebel for themselves so I firmly believe cats have a way of allocating families to themselves.

#30 twilexis

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

My kitteh dusty was a rescue pet. She was 2 and a half when we adopted her, and the pound could give us a little insight into her past (almost starving when they got hold of her).

She's now almost 6 and is the most affectionate little thing. We have small children and she has never raised a claw to them, regardless of how rough they've been.

But yes, it sounds like you've been adopted, m'dear. wub.gif

#31 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:22 PM

Some pics of her. I have some more but these are pretty indicative. She has pretty eyes and a soft face but she would NOT look at the camera for love or money. She is under my bed, let's all pretend the mess under there isn't totally shocking.

Edited by la di dah, 18 September 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#32 missy78

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

from what I can see, she does have beautiful eyes. Poor girl, I hope things work out for her.

#33 Jupiter123

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

I think she has moved in and made herself quite comfortable. Looks like you have a new family member.

#34 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

Lexi and Syd both hid under our bed for a couple of weeks when we first got them. Bert and Oscar did it for a day or so, but it was crowded under there! They all still like playing under there and it's a random collection of socks, the odd slipper, some undies... all the stuff the cats like, and they drag it under the bed wink.gif

#35 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

That's a tortoiseshell-dilute tabby, right? I'm trying to make sure I describe the pattern correctly, especially if I'm going to be making fliers. She is like a light gray tabby that's had rust sponge-painting.

#36 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

Maybe just Tortoiseshell (mainly grey) tabby ???

#37 missy78

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

grey tortoiseshell/tabby colouring?

#38 la di dah

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:47 PM

Okayyy... Full on cuddle session, wherein she even let DH *give her tummy rubs* with much purring and flopping on people.

Felt her stomach a bit. She doesn't really have what I shall inelegantly call "drag-gut" you know the cats that just have a fat pouchy thing down to their ankles - even boy cats have that. Her stomach is sort of blown out to the sides.

What could that mean? Is that parasites, kittens, me being insane, just how some cats get fat?

DH was really blown away by how sweet she was and is even saying her colouring is pretty.

#39 Pull Up A Beanbag

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:53 PM

Sounds like your DH is coming around to being adopted LOL

#40 2_shoes

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:02 PM

FWIW, our kitty has a sizeable pouch and she is desexed. We don't think she is actually fat, just slightly chubby, as she has been a hungry girl since she was a baby. Your cat might not be pregant.

#41 *Ker*

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:24 PM

Umm, your new little miss does look pregnant.

I think the correct name is a torbie. She is VERY pretty!

#42 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

o0o you might have lots of new kitties!! :/

#43 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Just got back from the very nice and highly sympathetic vet.

No chip. Very pregnant. unsure.gif

Was not thrilled to be in the cat carrier (followed some food in, she'd follow food anywhere...) and cried in the car. But was very good at the vet - and hopped right back into the crate when they were done chip-checking her there, using it as a place to nest.

They had a gray cat on their lost cat registry but called and the owner had already got it back.

We're calling other vets now.

I love cats but I DON'T WANT TO BE A GRANDMOTHER. cry1.gif

We always had our cats fixed growing up so I've never cared for kittens or raised them or anything and the instructions are long and boggling.

DH says the only silver lining is I am going to shut the **** up about dogs for the forseeable future. blush.gif

I wanted to rescue !1! cat.

#44 mildred76

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Edited as i just read your last post. Im going to send you a pm.

Edited by mildred76, 19 September 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#45 MoonPie

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Woohooo, we're having kitties!!!

(Are you in Perth?)

#46 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

I'm just outside Sydney, unfortunately.

FFFFFFFFFF. That is all have to say right now FFFFFF.

Why don't people spay their cats? I would think in just costs and aggravation it would be in your own self interest.

The vet says she's very young and "actually quite small, under the tummy. Not big really, just full of kittens. Probably not even a year old." rant.gif

#47 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Poor sweet little thing, no wonder she's hungry.

Congrats on becoming a grand-cat-mother!

#48 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Poor Roswell but she is lucky to have found you.

I'm in Perth but if you need any help with costs or anything let me know.

Also, I've raised mother cats and kittens (through fostering, not through being an irresponsible cat owner), and it is pretty easy as the mother does ALL the work. The only problem I ever encountered was when one of the mother's rejected one of the young (who is now my precious baby) and I had to feed him with a dropper. He was nearly onto solids though so it wasn't too bad.

Let me know if I can help in any way?

#49 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Can I harrass you with both frequent questions, generalized crybaby hand-holding and unwanted pictures and anecdotes only a cat-lady could possibly care about? 'Cause that would be great. happy.gif

Honestly, she has spent all of today sleeping. Which is a big change from yesterday of...all of it sleeping. She's gotten some intermittant stroking and cuddles for like minute sessions but then goes back to sleep. She's not being very high maintenance at the moment.

She has not peed or pooped at all, unless she stealthed to the box in the middle of the night and peed. We found her Saturday night. Should I be concerned she hasn't? The vet acted like maybe I just haven't found it but she sleeps under the bed and a) we'd smell that and b) I checked under the bed and all she's done is rumple a pillow.

Today after going to the vet and being advised to keep her separate from Grue, we shut her in the 2nd bedroom (which is my husband's office and incidentally his Starcraft computer so not a place she is isolated or alone) and she has really enjoyed being brat-cat free and also sleeping next to DH's foot under his desk. He's given her some cuddles every now and then and she's been passed out by his foot, though she wakes up and rubs and purrs occasionally.

She has a box in the corner with a grotty old towel, but she hasn't set foot in it or really left DH's side.

We have contacted 7 local vets and all were super-nice about putting a gray on the found cat list, but none have one on their missing cat list, except for 1 boy cat.

We're calling her Roswelle now. (DH: "Oh, I guess we're going to call her Roswelle 'cause she's gonna be here a while)

Yes, a creative spelling - DH insists it looks more feminine than just Roswell. rolleyes.gif

I said he can call her anything he wants. But he's being really sweet with her, though he says he'll make fun of me and cast this up to me until the end of time. I was going to put newspapers in her nesting box but he says "that's not comfy, it'd be all scratchy, we'll use this old towel..."

Edited by la di dah, 19 September 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#50 smudged

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

Poor girl.  I'm glad she found a nice home.  She sounds like a sweetheart.

I shall be on the look out for kitten pictures when they do arrive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.