Found cat
Tortie tabby, not a feral

• Please log in to reply
1338 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 19/09/2011, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I harrass you with both frequent questions, generalized crybaby hand-holding and unwanted pictures and anecdotes only a cat-lady could possibly care about? 'Cause that would be great. happy.gif

Honestly, she has spent all of today sleeping. Which is a big change from yesterday of...all of it sleeping. She's gotten some intermittant stroking and cuddles for like minute sessions but then goes back to sleep. She's not being very high maintenance at the moment.

She has not peed or pooped at all, unless she stealthed to the box in the middle of the night and peed. We found her Saturday night. Should I be concerned she hasn't? The vet acted like maybe I just haven't found it but she sleeps under the bed and a) we'd smell that and b) I checked under the bed and all she's done is rumple a pillow.

Today after going to the vet and being advised to keep her separate from Grue, we shut her in the 2nd bedroom (which is my husband's office and incidentally his Starcraft computer so not a place she is isolated or alone) and she has really enjoyed being brat-cat free and also sleeping next to DH's foot under his desk. He's given her some cuddles every now and then and she's been passed out by his foot, though she wakes up and rubs and purrs occasionally.

She has a box in the corner with a grotty old towel, but she hasn't set foot in it or really left DH's side.

We have contacted 7 local vets and all were super-nice about putting a gray on the found cat list, but none have one on their missing cat list, except for 1 boy cat.

We're calling her Roswelle now. (DH: "Oh, I guess we're going to call her Roswelle 'cause she's gonna be here a while)

Yes, a creative spelling - DH insists it looks more feminine than just Roswell. rolleyes.gif

I said he can call her anything he wants. But he's being really sweet with her, though he says he'll make fun of me and cast this up to me until the end of time. I was going to put newspapers in her nesting box but he says "that's not comfy, it'd be all scratchy, we'll use this old towel..."

It can be normal for a cat not to wee or poo for a few days especially if their environment changes. I haven't experienced this as my cats never go anywhere but when one of my friends goes away and brings her cats home from the cattery 2 of them don't poo or wee for a couple of days and the vet said it was normal.

Roswelle. I like it original.gif It does look more feminine and almost French like. original.gif

#52 mildred76

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

The best thing for lining a nesting box is newspaper and then a nice soft fleecy blanket. The problem with towels is that tiny claws get caught in the threads which can unfortunatly lead to broken toes.

You can get fleecy blankets really cheap in Go-Lo and places liek that. You would probably need a couple as she will make a big mess during labour.

I can give you my mobile number if you like just incase anything happens that your worried about.. Send me a pm at any time.

Its very normal for pregnant cats not to go to the loo regularly, I find they will do massive wees and poos every few days. After birth she could vey possibly not toilet for a few days aswell, this is all pretty normal.

Before she gives birth you will probably notice her active very restless, and just looking uncomfortable.

Also the best thing to feed Roswelle is a very good quality kitten food. I usually use a Queen food but it can be harder to get. Kitten food has lots of calories and all the good things she needs. Royal Canin Babycat is a very good option.

#53 OscarAndTilly

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

How exciting ... Kittens, although not what you were expecting lol. It sounds like Roswelle chose the right people to adopt.

I would love to have updates original.gif

Renae

#54 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

Lah Di Dah, was the vet able to indicate how many kittens Roswelle might be having?

#55 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

No, just said "about to pop" and "full of kittens" ohmy.gif .

We're currently feeding her Advance Kitten Plus (Growth) Chicken. This is what we already had in the house because of Grue. It says its okay for pregnant cats. Should she be switched to Royal Canin? She definitely does eat what we have but I don't know if its the best thing.

#56 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

I  wub.gif this story.   Between this and the Amber stories we are getting enough for a book.

Excellent naming potential for kittens on "aliens" theme: ET, Spock etc.

#57 *Ker*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

How exciting!!! I'd love to have a house full of kittens!

The advance kitten will be fine.

And tell your DH I think he's a star. And I can put you in touch with a cat rescuer friend Beth if you want. She is in Sydney too.

#58 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 19/09/2011, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent naming potential for kittens on "aliens" theme: ET, Spock etc.

Haha, we're sci-fi and comic geeks, and you've successfully distracted DH into coming up with alien references. So thanks for that.

DH: "Yoda. You seek Yoda..."

He does wish to poll the board for "I do wonder how many of these women would get away with rescuing a pregnant cat and not taking it to the pound?" and has said he's going to hold it over my head but he's actually being really cuddly and good, just talking a good game of being The Sensible Man With The Crazy Cat-Lady Wife.

Edited by la di dah, 19 September 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#59 ikeaqueen

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

I'm lurking. I'm kinda hoping she doesn't have an owner who a) didn't desex her, b) didn't microchip her, c) allowed her to roam and get pregnant so young, d) hasn't reported her missing.  I wouldn't want her going back there if an owner did appear.

She chose the right house to make her home.

#60 mildred76

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (~Ker~ @ 19/09/2011, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How exciting!!! I'd love to have a house full of kittens!

The advance kitten will be fine.

And tell your DH I think he's a star. And I can put you in touch with a cat rescuer friend Beth if you want. She is in Sydney too.

Yep the Advance will be fine.

I know Beth, she is a sucker for a grey cat too : )

#61 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

Most rescues don't have a lot of homes they can foster cats at. Fostering her here is fine. We have plenty of kitten food, after all. original.gif

As far as keeping her, we're still talking about that. We're NOT going to put her back outside or drop her at the shelter.

Kittens should be quite placeable in new places to live. As far as Roswelle herself I know older cats (even young adults) have a harder row to hoe. She's very pretty, though, and very affectionate with people, though I distinctly heard her tell Grue to **** off. I don't even think she's a problem with other cats, just not wanting to play. If Grue were older and more staid I think she'd be fine with her.

#62 Pull Up A Beanbag

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

Mr Cream and Miss Brie took about a month to really get to the stage where we could tell they weren't going to break into real fighting.  She's probably got baby hormones to deal with and just CBF.  Bet the kittens will love using Grue as a stalking horse though!

#63 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

How old is Roswelle? Can't remember if you've mentioned this or not.

#64 *Ker*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

Beth is the coolest. She'd be a good help when Roswelle goes into whelp. And she can help with placing kittens when they're ready.

#65 mildred76

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

"To the world you are just one more rescue person.But to a rescued pet, you are the world."

this was on the bottom of an email I got today, I think its fitting for Roswelle : )

#66 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (sunnycat @ 19/09/2011, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How old is Roswelle? Can't remember if you've mentioned this or not.

Young, the vet said. Like a year-ish. But didn't look at her teeth or anything, just her size. I don't actually know how you date cats. (Cut them down and count their rings? wink.gif ) And she's not very scruffy, she has no scars just a slight splitting of skin on her ears, you know the way cat's ears can look vaguely two-ply from the side?

#67 smudged

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 19/09/2011, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He does wish to poll the board for "I do wonder how many of these women would get away with rescuing a pregnant cat and not taking it to the pound?" and has said he's going to hold it over my head but he's actually being really cuddly and good, just talking a good game of being The Sensible Man With The Crazy Cat-Lady Wife.

I'd probably get away with it.  Lol.  I got away with rescuing two kittens (4months old, no microchip, intact males, ear mites, midwinter mid NSW) and if we hadn't found a home for one we would have had both.  Probably would have to rehome all after they were born/settled/in homes, as we have 3 cats already, but we'd do it up to there.

#68 ~Sorceress~

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Oh I'm so glad Roswelle's found you wub.gif .

And perhaps we'll get kitten updates... biggrin.gif

#69 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

o0o we're going to be kitty aunties!!!

If I was allowed I'd take another, but I can't sad.gif

I know that I would get away with fostering the cat and the kittens until they could go!

I think if you go through all of this with Roswelle, then you should keep her! She clearly has adopted your DH wub.gif

I expect LOTS of pics, LOTS of them and LOTS of updates, LOTS of them!

#70 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

OMG you're going to have little gorgeous kittens in your life!!! I'm so excited for you! Watching kittens grow and develop from birth is such a rewarding and awesome experience.

I have photos of all my kittens milestones - the first time they ate solids, the first time they walked, the first time my ginger boy did a poo after solids (it was an epic event involving the downward dog position!)

I remember the first time my precious baby learned how to swing from the curtains wub.gif It was marvelous! He was about 2 weeks behind the rest of the litter so used to watch them but couldn't do it, and then the day he learned how to climb up and swing and seeing the look of pure glee and joy on his little face was just beautiful. wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif

#71 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Yes, we're in Campbelltown, Ferdinand. That would be great. I have no idea how many kittens to expect. I will be keeping everyone posted on genders, colours, and annoying sci-fi nicknames that can only be changed if you take the cat. wink.gif

I wandered the neighbourhood this afternoon, hoping someone might have put up lost cat signs.

It is now pretty clear most of my neighbours think I am a crazy person. One person across the street showed me his cat - which turned up a month ago and he just feeds and calls Puss. She was as friendly as Roswelle, a real kitten, and living outdoors on our main busy street. "We just feed her, she doesn't have a name."

Another person told me how to deter cats with hot pepper.

Another person responded to "have you lost a cat? I found one Saturday..." with "I don't think so, what colour is it?" huh.gif

Edited by la di dah, 19 September 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#72 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

New post because I can. Also because I can only edit a post so many times before I feel like an idiot.

She DID crap today while I was out. Rather, I am told, massively. But she used the whelping box, not the litter box. We're going to get another big cardboard box to put over the litterbox to make it feel safe, but we're not sure she knows what she's supposed to do in litter, or if its the right kind she's familiar with. It's OzPet the wood pellet stuff. How can we get her to use it?

#73 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

My cats never used the Oz Pet stuff. I also tried the pellets but one of my cats ate them so we switched to the clay (it can go on the garden afterwards if you have a garden). You can get a 10kg or 15L bag from Woolies or Coles for about $5 or $6 or a smaller bag for $3 or $4. I found most of my cats like to dig and like the sound - with the exception of of my cat that sh*ts next to the litter tray and the other cat that refuses to bury his poo.

#74 la di dah

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

Grue likes the OzPet and I like how good it is at containing the smell... better than clay. I'm loathe to go back to clay and thought it wasn't safe for young kittens? One of them isn't but I can't remember which.

We could try paper. Or apparently towels... rolleyes.gif

#75 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

I've never had a problem with clay safety wise or smell wise (again with the exception of when Nicholas poos on the floor). I've got a big tub though (about 20cm deep by 50cm long) so all the wee goes right to the bottom of the tub. I don't know how good clay would be in a normal kitty litter tray because I imagine it would go everywhere when they dig.

I know crystals aren't good for cats and kittens but have never heard anything about clay.

Have you got a separate tray for her? Maybe she doesn't feel comfortable using Grue's toilet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.