When is enough enough? Newborn won't stop cluster feeding.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 biene_maja

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

I'm wondering what to do.
DS cluster feeds from about 2pm-8/9pm every day. By cluster feeding I mean he is constantly attached to me with a few 5-10min breaks here and there. Every time it seems like he is finally finished & we put him down, he'll start crying and act like he wants more. I know I have enough milk. He is gaining well. We've tried dummies but he won't keep them in. He'll suck on my finger but that means I can't put him down.
Do I just keep feeding him? Do I let him grizzle for a while?

Not sure what to do.

#2 scarfie82

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

No solutions here but I can sympathise. DS1 was similar size and would feed like that all afternoon. He did sleep well from quite early on though- maybe yours will be similar original.gif . It's hard with other children though!

#3 TaciturnTurtledove

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

I would certainly be trying distractions...anything...to get the baby to stretch the time between feeds. Start with just small gaps, eg. see if you can get 15 mins consistently between feeds at first, then stretch to half and hour between feeds, etc.

I find that cluster feeding backfires because you don't have enough time to make milk so the baby never gets that full tummy feeling, and is never satisfied.

My baby was also a finger-sucker! We spent so many hours when I was stuck holding my finger up to her mouth and couldn't do anything else! Eventually we found that she would take the cherry-shaped dummies, although not the orthodontic-shaped ones. Once she took dummies I suddenly had so much more time in my day, it was amazing!!

Edited by aleithaki, 22 September 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#4 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Enough is enough IF you're happy with growth and weight gain and you've had enough. In saying that, cluster feeding is totally normal but that seems like a long time every day - how much time do you put into trying something else? I have a 6 week old who screams like a fire engine so I know that five minutes of newborn screaming feels like 2 hours of normal crying, but ultimately if cluster feeding for that long isn't working then the only thing you can do is try something else. The weekends nearly here, can DH spend 15 minutes calming him after you know he's clean, dry and fed?

On the up side, new borns change so quickly that even if you do nothing it'll probably be over in a week.

Good luck, it's hard work when you're tired and have other people wanting you too.

#5 M&Ms

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:52 PM

DS did this for about 2 weeks.  I am sure it will change soon.

#6 Guest_BeachedAsBro_*

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

He's only 8 days old OP. Yep it's a pain in the butt, especially as you have two older children to care for as well (and I'm sure your poor nipples are cracked etc by now) but he's establishing his supply. Evie still cluster feeds, especially in the last week as it's been hot and I mustn't be producing enough for her.

Get some hydrogel breast discs by Rite-Aid, I've bought them in Coles and Big W, to heal your cracked nipples. When mine were really bad in hospital, they still healed in 24-48 hours with the discs.

#7 Jenflea

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

Tried wrapping him up or putting him in something like a Hug a Bub and wearing him?
He's a tiny baby who probably just wants to be with his mum (plus establishing your supply). I remember the loooong days of doing pretty much nothing but sitting on the couch watching TV with a baby attached.
You could try a rocking chair maybe. My baby NEVER took to a dummy, not even the midwife approved (non nipple confusing) cherry shaped dummies.

#8 NotGirly

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

I second the Hug-a-Bub suggestion. And a fitball to bounce on while you're wearing him. That combo was our lifesaver when DD just wanted to suck for hours. Since then the pattern has changed many times and she's not yet 6 months.

#9 peppersmum

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (aleithaki @ 22/09/2011, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find that cluster feeding backfires because you don't have enough time to make milk so the baby never gets that full tummy feeling, and is never satisfied.

Not sure how it can 'backfire'?  Cluster feeding is pretty normal for newborns, they are pretty smart with what they need and the breast is more than food, it is comfort too.

OP my DD2 cluster fed from 7pm - 12am every night for probably the first 10 weeks or so.  Drove me mad as DH worked shift work back then so some evenings he wasn't home, but she eventually grew out of it.  The great thing was I never had to worry about 'supply issues' or weight.  My DD3 hasn't really cluster fed but she did cry a lot in the evenings for the first 8-10 weeks and wouldn't settle as easy as my DD2 who cluster fed and would stop crying if I offered the breast.  With DD3 it was harder as we had to bounce, rock and try and settle her in other ways, now I am thinking the breast for comfort is a lot easier!

Not sure if you have read this article on cluster feeding?  It helped me when I was unsure with DD2: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening

Edited by peppersmum, 23 September 2011 - 11:33 PM.

#10 Majeix

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

My eldest daughter did this and she was tiny, but gained weight really quickly. I just put up with it as much as I could and watched a lot of telivision etc. She just abotu never cried and was a really contented baby she also slept through the night really young. I would have worried about her going that long without milk but I figure she spend 6 + hours constantly feeding before she did it. If you can bear it I say stick it out he is only little yet and it won't last for ever.

#11 Caramel Queen

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

I wonder if part of the problem (from his perspective) is that you're trying to put him down when you stop feeding...? Maybe if when you stop feeding, keep him with you in a sling (I 3rd the suggestion of a hug-a-bub - love that sling!) or in your arms, he might settle but not need to actually suck/feed. Good luck! original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.