Not quite Nigella Rainbow cake

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 blackcat20

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

If you want all the rainbow colours but dont want to pay $6 per tub, you can buy sets of smaller tubs on eBay. I got mine here.

#27 newkie

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

I just used the food colouring dyes, the kids didn't care, even though it was much less vibrant than it would have been with the gels:

#28 sunshine_days

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Wow they look fantastic and thinking this cake will do for DD's 5th birthday next month

#29 skylark

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

It might be just me, but I think the gel colours look more striking, but the food dye colours that newkie used look much more edible iykwim. They look a bit more like food!  All the cakes look great, but I think I'd be inclined to go with the food colouring option.

#30 aussierach

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

my firend mad eone th eoter day with the queen coloring and I was really surprised how vibarnt it cam eout

#31 =R2=

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

I made DD2's rainbow cake a couple of months ago with gel colors. I already had some of the colors so only bought a couple more. I made the outside as plain as possible and surprised everyone by the inside of the cake. All the kids (and adults) loved it. i just used a couple of boxes of Greens Buttercake from the supermarket.

#32 ~Catherine~

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

Loving the box one from Ebay ... does the gel have a use by date?

#33 aussierach

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:24 AM

my wilton one has till dec 2013 on it I purchased it in july this year.... it says manufactured dec 2010 so a decent amount of time...

the gels I bought from a cake supplier their own brand have nothing original.gif

#34 sunshine_days

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

I started making these cakes this week... made 4 2 to go... (layers l mean)... I went to our local cake shop and they had little tubs of food dye there so got them.. about 6 for $30 and l know they will be used later on for other cakes etc...

Just have to think what icing to put on top as DH hates buttercrema icing.. any ideas.. he usually uses marshmallow but don't think that will work this time

#35 imamumto3

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

how about the tub frosting in coles or woolies, or packet soft icing?

#36 ~*Marti*~

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

What awesome looking cakes! I know what my kids are having for their birthdays!!

#37 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

I tried to make it for my DD1's birthday a couple of years ago and it was a total disaster. The colours were all mixed together and murky. I think the secret to success is the stiffer cake mix. Mine was quite runny and I think that was the issue.

I didn't have the gels so just used the regular food colouring. The colours were great, but they all mixed in the bowl. I used gels for the last cake I made and didn't find them to be particularly brilliant.

#38 BeYOUtiful

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

You can also buy colours that are natural - and they are quite vibrant.

Rainbow cake using Wilton gel colours (excuse the boring icing, it was just a trial cake)
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...05/100_2147.jpg

Cupcakes
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...05/100_2095.jpg

Cake pop balls (another trial wink.gif  )
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...05/100_2142.jpg

CO, I have found the trick is to gently place each colour on top of each other.  The last colour added can dominate the rest, as each colour placed on pushes the others out, to give a thinner affect of those colours.
If that makes sense lol.

Regarding red colours - I also find Carolines liquid gel (from cake dec stores) one of the best - better than Wilton.  Especially for fondant.

Edited by ~Jane05~, 07 March 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#39 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (~Jane05~ @ 07/03/2012, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can also buy colours that are natural - and they are quite vibrant.

Rainbow cake using Wilton gel colours (excuse the boring icing, it was just a trial cake)
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...05/100_2147.jpg

Cupcakes
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...05/100_2095.jpg

Cake pop balls (another trial wink.gif  )
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...05/100_2142.jpg

CO, I have found the trick is to gently place each colour on top of each other.  The last colour added can dominate the rest, as each colour placed on pushes the others out, to give a thinner affect of those colours.
If that makes sense lol.

Regarding red colours - I also find Carolines liquid gel (from cake dec stores) one of the best - better than Wilton.  Especially for fondant.

The mix I made was quite runny. You have to pour it in and I think that is what wrecked it. I'll try again and gently place them in (with a thicker mix) and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip. I was devastated when it didn't work.

#40 toadflax

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

I made a rainbow cake for my daughter's birthday last weekend. Like some previous posters, I sourced the Wilton gels off Ebay (8 pack for $23 including postage, from Melbourne). I rang Spotlight (Spartys) and their Wilton 8 pack was $48. This was my first time using the gel colours - they are amazing and a little goes a long way.

#41 tickledpink72

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

This is the rainbow layer cake I made for my sons 2nd birthday.  I used powdered colouring:

#42 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

one of DD's birthdays will be a rainbow party - I adore this idea of the edible ink pens and getting her to help decorate....

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/rainbow-do...-birthday-cake/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.