You know you're middle aged when....

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 ms flib

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

...the most exciting thing that happened on the weekend was the plumbing in of the new Miele dishwasher....bliss...

And you?

#2 BetteBoop

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

You go to try some clothes on in a jeans shop and have to leave because of the aggressively loud musak that is blasting your eardrums into submission.

#3 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

When you discover that one of your stray chin hairs is grey ffear.gif - not that it has ever happened to me.

BetteBoop - that "music" is designed purely to keep us oldies out.

#4 not-surprised

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

x

Edited by s-m, 17 August 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#5 BetteBoop

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Cranky Old Woman @ 10/10/2011, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BetteBoop - that "music" is designed purely to keep us oldies out.

Like those electronic pest repellants?

#6 not-surprised

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

x

Edited by s-m, 17 August 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#7 not-surprised

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

x

Edited by s-m, 17 August 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#8 ComradeBob

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Possible TMI but anyway, here it goes. Grey pubes. 'Nuff said  ph34r.gif

#9 kee

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

... when I am shocked at the blackness of my hair colour and then realise it just looks so dark when compared to the grey regrowth I had been sporting long enough to get used to it.

And when my gorgeous heels are now museum exhibits in my wardrobe rather than staple items I would constantly wear. What was once "fashion over comfort" is now "can I get away with wearing my slippers out today??"  unsure.gif

ETA: Sorry, don't belong here but saw this in recent topics and I'm having an "I'm old" day so I wanted to share original.gif

Edited by kee, 10 October 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#10 Marley&Me

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

When you leave the house with sheet creases still on your face sad.gif

#11 PurpleNess

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

When you can justify spending $100's on a new vacuum! And then pronounce to the world how much you love it! sad sad times

#12 daisydo

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (Marley&Me @ 10/10/2011, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you leave the house with sheet creases still on your face sad.gif

roll2.gif

So true!

#13 Golfing widow

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

When you look at all the cops and go "did they just graduate from high school?"

#14 Azadel

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

When "lovely" replaces "cool" in your vocabulary.

When I see cops on the street these days I goggle at how young they seem.

Edited by Azadel, 10 October 2011 - 02:51 PM.

#15 wallofdodo

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

I have nodded too many times in this thread.

Mysterious hairs - gottem
Expensive vac - check
Grumpy at shop music - a-ha.
Said 'lovely' to a workmate
Always laughing at how young cops seem.

arrrrggghhh. I am middle aged, this may take some time to come to terms with.

#16 alilypad

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

...when one of the Mum's in your parent's group says "I'd love to get some books that I had as a child for my baby.  You know, like Pocahontis and Little Mermaid"...and you were reading these books to your neices when you were 20+

#17 Z-girls rock

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (ms flib @ 10/10/2011, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...the most exciting thing that happened on the weekend was the plumbing in of the new Miele dishwasher....bliss...

And you?

I am sorry but that IS exciting!! Is it your first dishwasher??  If so you should have a party! I did when our dishwasher came into our lives... Oh happy days : )

So maybe my answer can be "you know you are middle aged when" you get super excited at the thought of Ms Flib getting a dishwasher and suggest she has a party to celebrate, LOL.

#18 bronzzeAngel

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (s-m @ 10/10/2011, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't stand the current fashions because you can remember the last time they were "in".

I've given up buying jeans in jeans shops not just because of the awful muzak, but because none of the jeans there come up past my difficult to shift post-baby spare tyre.

Steph

** Note to Gen Y: Muffin top rolls of fat hanging over the top of your trousers is NOT a good look!!!

nor are the stained streaked undies hanging out. NOONE wants to see the leftovers of last night tea as a skiddy in your jocks...

#19 Lulu Pumpkin

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

The music in shops was the first time I noticed I was "older" and does it really have to be that loud!

Getting excited about the sunshine because you know all the laundry will get done
Discussing the weather with your friends
Saying Dude is old fashioned...apparently
Mentioning a band like Crowded House and the 20ish person I'm talking to has no idea
Realising that said person was probably born in the 90s and not being able to fathom that
Disliking the current fashion (ie; leopard print) because you did that the last time it was in
Someone in a shop calling high waisted jeans retro
Sniggering at young guys showing off their undies
Cringing when someone on TV or wherever uses the expression 'that was dope'

#20 Lulu Pumpkin

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

The music in shops was the first time I noticed I was "older" and does it really have to be that loud!
Getting excited about the sunshine because you know all the laundry will get done<BR>
Discussing the weather with your friends<BR>
Saying Dude is old fashioned...apparently<BR>
Mentioning a band like Crowded House and the 20ish person I'm talking to has no idea<BR>
Realising that said person was probably born in the 90s and not being able to fathom that<BR>
Disliking the current fashion (ie; leopard print) because you did that the last time it was in<BR>
Someone in a shop calling high waisted jeans retro<BR
>Sniggering at young guys showing off their undies<BR>
Cringing when someone on TV or wherever uses the expression 'that was dope'

Not caring about double posts........ biggrin.gif

#21 Guest_mariokart_*

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Azadel @ 10/10/2011, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I see cops on the street these days I goggle at how young they seem.

And the doctors. sad.gif

And, just as of this year, I actually work with nurses younger than my daughter- double sad.gif  sad.gif

#22 knittingkitten

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

New dishwasher...****, I was excited about the new slotted spoon I bought... blush.gif

Maybe I'm middle aged AND cheap!

#23 noisyhouse

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

When you hear the radio host having to explain to the audience who Mick Jagger is. ( I heard it this morning)

#24 Wut??

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

They start re-making the movies of your yoof (Footloose anyone?)

#25 PurpleNess

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Srsly?? @ 10/10/2011, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They start re-making the movies of your yoof (Footloose anyone?)

yes so completely unnecessary...why is all I want to know, nothing wrong with the original. Remaking it will lose all it's 80's cool :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.