• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Siouxie

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

Previous book club discussion thread here

#2 71Cath

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

oops, I killed the last thread  blush.gif

Hurry up November, I want to talk about "High Noon"!

#3 unicorn

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Are you the book club thread killer Cath?

Off to find the said dead thread...

#4 71Cath

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

I often kill threads..it is a sort of gift I guess  biggrin.gif

#5 loubee

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

What exactly did you say Cath? Looking forward to High Noon if you are that keen to talk about it.

What books have you planned for Jan, Feb & March book club?

#6 dorkalicious

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hi All I'd love to join if possible? I love Book Clubs for introducing me to new authors/genres so keen for any books suggested.  Seems I'm a bit late for October so I will start reading the Nov book- High
Noon by Nora Roberts - is that correct?

#7 Newbie2010

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (mymockingbirdboy @ 19/10/2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All I'd love to join if possible? I love Book Clubs for introducing me to new authors/genres so keen for any books suggested.  Seems I'm a bit late for October so I will start reading the Nov book- High
Noon by Nora Roberts - is that correct?

I agree with this,loved to get back into reading! I've been so slcak lately.

#8 71Cath

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

Yes MMBB, "High Noon" is the book for November and if you are keen (like me  original.gif ) "I came to say goodbye" is the book for December.

As for the new year... I have some suggestions
"Lola's Secret" or anything by Monica Mcinerney really
"The Help" - the movie was fabulous so I really want to read the book

Or maybe we could reread something that everyone has read (Harry Potter, something by Jodi Picoult etc) but look at it from a more critical perspective?

11 days to go!

#9 MagsJee

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (71Cath @ 20/10/2011, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or maybe we could reread something that everyone has read (Harry Potter, something by Jodi Picoult etc) but look at it from a more critical perspective?

That would be interesting, I love getting a completely different perspective on a book that I've read and understood one way, seeing how other people have understood it.

And I've been meaning to re-read Harry for a while.

eta:  sorry, is this thread to discuss the book club books (ie. for picking the next book) or is it for discussion of the book club book?

Edited by MagsJee, 20 October 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#10 kidwrangler

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (MagsJee @ 20/10/2011, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eta:  sorry, is this thread to discuss the book club books (ie. for picking the next book) or is it for discussion of the book club book?

I think it's both original.gif

#11 RogerRabbit

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

I just read High Noon, and love it! Any suggestions of which other books of her's are really good original.gif

#12 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

Just thought I would add this thread in here as it kept the two threads together for those who are looking for the October book discussion.  October Book Discussion

I have really enjoyed the Three Sisters Island Trilogy, The Bride Quartet, Dream Trilogy and Chesapeake Bay Series.  I keep returning to them.  I admit they are more of the romance books.  Nora Roberts also writes as J.D. Robb and writes the In Death series.

#13 71Cath

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

So are we ready to talk about High Noon yet???  tongue.gif

#14 kidwrangler

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

I know, where's the November book chat? Or do we start it ourselves? unsure.gif

For those who have read High Noon: I'm up to chapter 3 and wondering if I keep going? I'm actually finding it a bit ho-hum so far unfortunately sad.gif I am in the middle of reading through Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta Series, so maybe it's just a bit too much of the same genre?

I don't like to give up on a book, but am wondering if I'm wasting my time. I have a few other books on the hold shelf at the library to collect and am tempted to drop this one back when I go collect them... shrug.gif

#15 71Cath

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hi kidwrangler  waves.gif

I actually found it a very easy read, maybe perservere for a couple more chapters?

#16 RogerRabbit

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Keep reading! I think I might have to read again, I read another one of hers straight after. I actually have a Patricia Cornwell at the moment that I can not get into.

#17 kidwrangler

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Oh dear, we've sunk to page two and all has gone quiet  unsure.gif

Would this be a good time to start discussing the list for 2012? original.gif

#18 71Cath

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

Good idea kidwrangler.  I read mostly junk, so if we want some highbrow suggestions, best not look at me!

#19 Guest_- beach_baby -_*

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (71Cath @ 20/10/2011, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes MMBB, "High Noon" is the book for November and if you are keen (like me original.gif ) "I came to say goodbye" is the book for December.

As for the new year... I have some suggestions
"Lola's Secret" or anything by Monica Mcinerney really
"The Help" - the movie was fabulous so I really want to read the book

11 days to go!

I loved the help - great book! You ladies sound like you have good taste, can I joing your bookclub?

#20 71Cath

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

Of course beach baby, the more the merrier.  have you read "I came to say goodbye"?

#21 Guest_- beach_baby -_*

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (71Cath @ 23/11/2011, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course beach baby, the more the merrier. have you read "I came to say goodbye"?

No but I will, I love reading and the Capel library.

First of all its FREE, very few things are free in this life! I love how I can put DS down in the kids corner and he will play with his toys while I look for books and across the road there is a really nice but cheap cafe.

We make a day of it original.gif I go through a book every couple of days if its a good cant put it down kind of book or a week if its a bit meh.

I have just read Water For Elephants and I loved it - heaps better than the movie!

#22 Guest_- beach_baby -_*

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (71Cath @ 23/11/2011, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good idea kidwrangler. I read mostly junk, so if we want some highbrow suggestions, best not look at me!

Ha ha me too! I always seem to gravitate to the fictional "girly" type books rolleyes.gif

#23 kidwrangler

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (71Cath @ 23/11/2011, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good idea kidwrangler.  I read mostly junk, so if we want some highbrow suggestions, best not look at me!

Me too - well, I alternate between reading my mountain of books I've bought and collected through bookcrossing and reading what someone else suggests and is current (usually from the library rather than my bookshelves LOL).

Love a good biography, chick lit, good sci-fi, thrillers... OK, it's rare for me to find a book I don't like  rolleyes.gif

I think we are the people who pick the books, so what if we try to suggest something each? Then we'll have a few months in advance sorted and can add suggestions as we go.

I have on my bookshelf, but am yet to read, the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' trilogy. That will be back in the media and quite current again soon as the new english language version of the movie is under production for release in 2012.

71Cath suggested: "Lola's Secret" or anything by Monica Mcinerney really
"The Help" - the movie was fabulous so I really want to read the book. Or maybe we could reread something that everyone has read (Harry Potter, something by Jodi Picoult etc) but look at it from a more critical perspective?

It seems a few of us have read 'The Help' and already read 'I Came to Say Goodbye' (which is the December pick). Maybe we can combine the Dec discussion to cover both? There's usually a bit more reading time over summer for those that haven't read either.

Jan we could go for a light chick lit - 'Lola's Secret' by Monica McInerney (it is a light read isn't it?)
Feb ? original.gif

#24 Guest_- beach_baby -_*

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

Feb ? original.gif
[/quote]

Water for Elephants?

#25 71Cath

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

Awesome, I have read "the Help" and "Water for Elephants" and "Lola's Secret", and the Millenium series.  Hmmm...should probably suggest a book I haven't read!

So the order is:
December: "I came to say Goodbye" and "The Help"
January: "Water for Elephants" and "Lola's Secret"

Can someone suggest something I haven't read yet for the February book?

Yippee I love talking about books!  blush.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.