Terminating Values? Reducing Twin Pregnancies to Singles.

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#126 BetteBoop

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Nicely said Kylie. Things got heated as they always do when this sort of topic is raised.

But I agree with you. Debate is always a good thing.

#127 ~Sorceress~

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

I think this debate is making me think more about what "choice" really means. In some ways, I think "pro-choice" in this context actually reduces choice for some women.

We know that having amnio is a woman's "choice", but how often is it a true choice? For many women, not having an amnio (with a higher risk pregnancy) is seen as saying "I'm choosing to risk having a baby that will take more resources from my family when I have other options".

I worry that the increasing availability of selective reduction means a reduction in social support for the woman who says "I CHOOSE to carry and raise all of my babies, no matter how they are conceived".

The responsibility of raising a harder-to-raise family is devolved from a community activity to an individual woman's activity because she CHOSE that option.

Does that make sense?

#128 Up the Ante

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

[quote name='la di dah' date='18/10/2011, 02:23 PM' post='13863401']
I don't have to be comfortable with every choice. My not being able to do it is not a reason to say no one should.

I can think a reason is gross or lacking or yucky and still support their right to do it. I will defend womens' rights to pregnancy reduction, whether they are reducing to 6 or 0 or anywhere in between.

I don't have to DO it myself because I support their right to.

I don't think fetuses have any rights.
[/quote

fetuses means offspring, are you saying our offspring or descendants have no rights?

#129 4kidlets

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Thats silly Up the ante - was obvious from the context that she didnt meant that

#130 Sugaraddict

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

Is it really the case that we must never judge the actions of anyone else? Would not most of us judge a serial killer, who was perfectly sane and the product of an unremarkable upbringing, as a nasty piece of work? Is there some magic line in the sand beyond which, if the actions in question are at least morally ambiguous, they should not be called into question at all?

I find the idea of selective reductions, at least in the absence of any health risk to the mother, utterly repugnant. That's my gut reaction to them. Am I just being judgmental, failing properly to appreciate the position of parents who face potentially enormous challenges if they choose to carry to term all the foetuses in a multiple pregnancy? Or is my conscience telling me something? How many people have that gut feeling "selective reduction is WRONG" but then worry that they are appointing themselves God and betraying the sisterhood?

#131 reng

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

This is a really interesting topic.  I'm not sure what I'd do; probably keep them and hope, but then I'm a bit baby mad!

In horses, crushing twins is very common.  However, in horses, less than 1% of twins survive if left alone, so a vet crushing a twin gives the mare the safest chance to have a live foal.  The process is also done very very early in the pregnancy, at around 30-42 days.  Vets say that the foetus is about the size of a grape at this time.  

In humans, a lost baby before 20 weeks is called a miscarriage and after 20 weeks is stillborn.  To do a twin reduction at 14 weeks seems a bit close to still born for me.  I prefer the horse timing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.