Parent Group #1

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hi ladies

Congrats on  your new babies.  Please feel free to start any new threads that you wish in the forum, it is set up just for the October ladies original.gif

Regards

#2 KatieAh

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hi ladies! My bub was born at 47+2 on 8 October. Getting to know each other has been amazing so far! Keen to chat with any other October mummies.

Katie cool.gif

#3 sjm218

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hi Katie - I am pretty sure you made a typo - please tell me bub was not born at 47 + 2!!!!

Our gorgeous girl was born at 39 +2 on October 13 via Caesar. She is doing ver well feeding like nobody's business (bf) and putting on weight. She is pretty settled and sleeping pretty well.

We had a pediatrician check up today and all went well.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone's buns too!

#4 KatieAh

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Haha thanks SJM - YES 37 + 2! I finished work on the Friday and my waters broke midnight that night. At least I didn;t go in to labour on the trian which was my big fear!
Congrats on your little princess and glad to hear all is going well! biggrin.gif

#5 EmilyStrange

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

KatieAh - congrats on the birth of your bub!  Did you update the Oct 2011 DIG with details?

My little guy came at 39+6, so pretty much on time!  The OB manually broke the sac as his head appeared, but he was still in his amniotic sac when he came out, which was removed after he was born.

Lots of adjusting to life with bub to be had now!

#6 sjm218

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:37 AM

Hi ladies,

For those of you breastfeeding, are you feeding on any sort of frequency or just as demanded?

With ds I was religiously feeding him every two hours in the day time and letting him do his own thing at night. With dd I am just feeding when she seems hungry and this can vary from 1-4 hours ( awesome to get four hours at night). she is putting on weight and has lots of wet and pooey nappies, so she is getting enough, just wondering what you guys have been advised. Our paed said to keep doing what we are doing, so I am just curious.

She is a very settled bub and thankfully not very windy or vomity, she is very similar to ds right now which is good, he was a pretty cruisey.

We had a newborn photo shoot today, she was really good and I think the pics will be fabulous. We also got some family photos and some of ds too. We used the same photographer for our wedding and for ds, she is awesome.

Not much else going on here. Hope all the other mummies are well.

#7 Baire

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Wow our parenting group, so exciting!

sjm218 I am feeding Hunter on demand, he is great during the day with 3 hourly plus feeds. We are often out and about and he naps so well in his pram. at night time, things are not so good.

We had a photo-shoot on Monday also. New borns photograph so well. I am sure that you will have some lovely images.

Gee katieah, you cut it fine with finishing work! no rest!

Lots of adjusting, thats for sure, Emily. It is a new and exciting adventure though tough at times.

PinkNBlue85 it is so great that your baby came home, I can not imagine how you would feel

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a delay with being able to join a mothers group, through their local council? Is there an alternative as to how I might be able to meet other new mums in person?
My MCHN told me today that I would not be able to be a part of a group until January, with an initial meet up, potentially at the end of December.

Baire original.gif

#8 Miss Kitty-Cat

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

Wow - Georgie finally managed to settle so I have a bit of time up my sleeve for posting!

It's amazing how quickly you adapt to having a baby. I can now catnap anywhere anytime. I had 30 minutes to myself the other day and managed to have a shower, make a cake and a sandwich for lunch, do a load of washing, the dishes and send 4 emails. Crazy how efficient you can get! Lord knows what I would do with  whole hour!

I am so grateful Mr K works from home. He has been absolutely awesome with Georgie. She's going through a real phase at the moment where I can't settle her. My milk has finally come in so anytime she comes near me she opens her mouth like a baby bird and squeals if I don't offer her the boob. She eventually settles for Mr K though. He doesn't make milk you see wink.gif

We had our newborn photos done yesterday and poor G - she behaved so badly. She refused to settle and spent most of the shoot feeding. Like two whole hours. And the rest of the time she pooed and weeed everywhere. By the end of the shoot I was covered in vomit, excrement, sweat and breast milk. So glam. At least my hair was still clean. But funnily enough it didn't bother me at all. Luckily she fell asleep for the last half an hour so hopefully we'll get a few good shots from the session. You only need a few, right?

The photographer was awesome though - she was so patient with us! I might try and get her back for more pics when Georgie is a little older. If she'll come back that is!

I'm not sure about our Mother's group locally. I have an appointment with the MCHN nurse on Monday so I'll ask her then. She did say they were flat out so am assuming that there won't be a huge delay in joining one, but I could be wrong!

Oh, we also had a great appointment with a lactation consultant on Monday. She was absolutely awesome. She has a fantastic DVD which goes through breastfeeding, settling, dressing etc. which is just brilliant. Well worth getting: http://happymumshappybubs.com.au/

Should really get on with the day! I think I have another round of washing to get done. It's neverending...

K xx

#9 Miss Kitty-Cat

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

sjm - forgot to mention, we are trying to do three hourly feeds but at the moment it's really not working. She just wants to be fed all the time. And then sleeps for three hours. She was awake from 7am until 12:30 this morning, for example and fed for about 3 hours or so of that time. So now it's 3 and she's been asleep for 2 1/2 hours I am loathed to wake her as she needs to catch up on missed sleep. But she slept well overnight. Meh. We keep trying to satrt again wit the routine but on demand seems to be working better for the moment. I know it's not workable long term though - hence the desire to get into a routine so there's an outside chance we might be able to get out of the house at some stage.

#10 EmilyStrange

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

I finally made it back here - I just automatically go to the October DIG whenever I log on here, so never have time to post here!

sjm218 - initially, I was waking DS for feeds every four hours, which worked for a few days.  After that, he was actually waking me for feeds every four hours, which I thought was absolutely amazing!  It didn't last long though, and he started cluster feeding last week. It didn't bother me too much, because the cluster feeding was mainly after the sun rose and he slept quite well through the night, and I would only wake him once in the early morning so he wasn't going 8 hours without a feed.  Thankfully, we've gone back to him waking up on his own every 3-4 hours on his own for a feed.

My mum said I probably should wake the baby up for feeds every 4 hours or so in the first month, because they would otherwise sleep through... but I don't know what baby she's talking about...!  Hahaha.  The MCHN advised me that I should never let a baby go for longer than 5 hours without a feed, because it's just a bit too long for a baby.  But otherwise, she was all for demand feeding.

PinkNBlue85 - so sorry to hear about the loss of your DD, but so happy to hear that you now have a little DS!  These online forums are so great for support - I'm glad you feel comfortable joining the parent group to share your experiences with DS!

Baire - I'll be joining a mother's group through the MCHC in December-ish.  The MCHN said that generally, you don't join a group until bub is about 8 weeks, and of course with Christmas and New Year, it could be later than that.  DH has already said to the MCHN that he will be coming along to everyone of these meets, even if it means having to take time off work!  She was supportive of him attending, so all good.

Miss Kitty-Cat - wow, you are very, very efficient!  I was happy that I'd managed to eat dinner in 20 minutes yesterday, and all I had to do was put the food on a plate...  I didn't even wash the plate afterwards - DH has taken onboard all the household chores I used to do, including the dishes and laundry!

Newborn photo shoot - seems like I'm the only person not having a photo shoot with DS.  Just wasn't something I ever thought about doing, and not something DH is into either.  We're taking lots of candid photos and video at home though - have to love the fact that the camera on smart phones take really decent shots now, just for when you don't have the digital camera handy, or the battery is dead.

Breastfeeding paraphaenalia - I went in search of nursing tops today, and didn't really find anything I liked.  I did order this Top Secret Nursing singlet through a bricks and mortar shop, so we'll see how that works.  Pretty expensive if you ask me...  It's just a singlet top afterall...!

I'm going to be ordering this nursing poncho from directly from Mothers En Vogue (so much cheaper ordering from Singapore, than buying from stockists online here in Australia), because I'm finding breastfeeding in public with a swaddle wrap sooo difficult!  I wish they had more summer tops available on the MEV website at the moment, but I'm sure they'll have more things in the next few months.

Slings - I bought a Mini Monkey sling the other day, because DS loves being cuddled and generally wakes when I leave him with DH or put him down for a sleep.  When I tried a few slings on at Baby Bunting, DS seemed to fit in the Mini Monkey really well, but I tried popping him in the sling yesterday, and it didn't seem at all comfortable to me - his back was all curled up, and his face was curled into his chest, and I wasn't going to carry him around and suffocate him!  So I'm thinking I made a bad choice and wasted $80 odd buying that sling.  I know you bought a sling, Baire... what has your experience with the sling been?

There was something else I was going to write about, but I have baby brain - can't remember what it was.  I'm sure it'll come back to me later!

#11 sjm218

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hi all,

It sounds like you are all settling into motherhood now!!

Emily - nursing covers are totally unworkable in my opinion - I am yet to have a baby that would feed with something on it's head, I just feed as is. I do have some excellent breastfeeding tops that mean you can feed discretely. My favorite brands are pea in the pod / motherhood and gap. Another favourite for me is a singlet under a t- shirt. Singlet gets pulled down and shirt goes up, this keeps tummy and top pretty much covered. I never found any breastfeeding singlets that went anywhere close to fitting, they were a weird fit on me.

Slings - I have a sling but find the same as you Emily. I use it to help me hold ds, but I still support her in it.

Miss kitty kat - our photo shoot involved about 45 minutes of feeding. 15 minutes of pooing and about an hour of photos!!!! I know we have some gorgeous photos, our photographer gets excited and shows the pictures as she goes.

As far as settling goes, dd will settle for either of us, but is better forme. She also will self settle too which is great.

Baire - no mothers groups over here, just an overall group that anyone could go to, which I didn't enjoy much, so no plans to go this time. I go back to work January 3 anyway.

Pink blue - so pleased you had a healthy baby, it must have been a scary pregnancy for you, so pleased it ended well this time.

AFM - feed wise, it seems like Missy has her day and nights flipped, she is sleeping a lot in the day and napping at night. To switch this around I am feeding 2 hourly in the daytime and letting her go as long as she likes at night. This worked yesterday, so hopefully it will sort her out.

I had my hair done last night, and took dd with me, she wasn't too bad, a feed in the middle. Dh and I also went furniture shopping. We picked out two new couches a a new recliner for me to feed in. The recliner is soooooo comfortable and best of all it doesn't look like a recliner. The only problem is that it is 6-8 week shipping! Oh well, it will be worth it.

Recovery wise for me, I am feeling great, almost 100%, much faster overall recovery compared with my first caesar - it is awesome.

Only other news is dh's surgery - he is getting a vasectomy, my ob gave us a doctors name so now we just have to book him in. I am so pleased he isn't putting it off!!

Not much else going on.

hugs to all the bubs!!!

#12 Miss Kitty-Cat

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Just a quick one from me: did anyone else have a really unsettled baby when their milk came in? I think mine started to come in on Wednesday and came in properly yesterday and Georgie has been all over the place with her feeding and sleeping ever since. She slept from 11pm until 7am this morning without waking but barely got a wink yesterday and refused to settle in her cot. And all she wants to do is eat!!

Please tell me this is normal and settles after a while!!

Edited by Miss Kitty-Cat, 28 October 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#13 sjm218

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

Miss kitty cat - Amelia was cluster feeding for about two days when my milk came in, she is now much more settled. Except for the day after I ate baked beans!! Poor bubby was very windy!!!

As I mentioned above I am doing 2 hourly feeds in the day trying to get her to sleep longer at night, so far this is helping.

This is a phase and like all phases "this too will pass". This is my other parents group mantra, and it is very true!!

#14 Miss Kitty-Cat

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

Thanks sjm. I kind of thought that might be the case. She spent the entire day yesterday feeding and refused to shut her eyes. She just wanted to be cuddled and to eat and occasionally scream blue murder. And then I let her sleep through because she was so overtired last night.

She's gone down for her sleep this morning though which is nice. Hopefully that means she's getting back to the usual baby routine of eating and sleeping during the day!

#15 Baire

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi Everyone

I am not sure about the timing with feeding, I am feeding on demand, there is no structure or routine at the moment though.

I do not want to wake Hunter, though his sleepiness during the day can last over 4 hours and I am very lucky if he sleeps that long  at once, during the night!

I have been advised that until 6 weeks, there can be no real routine, really.

Miss Kitty, I too have become very efficient using my time when Hunter is sleeping, I no longer put things off, I rush about trying to do all the things I want to do!
I am sure that you have some lovely photos and no doubt the photographer is very used to all sorts of differently behaved babies.
I would not have the patience!
Oh and yes, Hunter was very unsettled when my milk came in, I had such full breasts, he could not latch properly. Even now, at 2 weeks he is feeding so much better. It was hard at first, we are both learning though.
Emily sounds like it is normal to have to wait for a mothers group, then. I had thought that at this early stage, it would be useful. Being on here will be great, instead, though.
The soft sling that I have, will not be suitable until Hunter can hold his head up more, at the moment he has his chin on his chest and a curved back, which is not ideal. I think he needs to be bigger. I also have a baby bjorn. I have not tried this yet. We have been out and about with the pram, only at this stage.
sjm I hope that you love your hair. January does not seem very far away to be back at work! I am not sure what I am doing get, I finished a contracted role at the end of September. I have four months paid parental leave, after that I will see what our situation is.
Take Care
Baire original.gif

#16 EmilyStrange

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

Miss Kitty-Cat - my milk came in 4 days after Edgar's birth, and I can't say whether he was more or less settled because of it...  He goes through phases where he won't settle with DH, and will fall asleep in my arms, and currently, he'll only go to sleep when DH settles him.

Back when he only wanted mum (because the smell of milk was the only thing that would comfort him) and wouldn't stop crying when DH was holding him, we tried sticking a couple of used nursing pads on DH's tee, and that worked for all of 2 minutes, then the little guy worked out that it wasn't mummy...!

sjm218 - wow, your DH is brave!  Good on him though!  I don't think my DH could go through with a vasectomy... and I don't think I could ask him to either!  I guess after the two surgeries you've been through, a little snip is the least he could do though!

Glad to hear that you're recovering well from the c-section!  My recovery was amazingly fast...  I've been very lucky.  I honestly wasn't expecting to look the way I do now for at least the next three years!

Baire - we took the Bugaboo for a spin yesterday - first time we actually used the pram.  We've been out and about with the little guy a few times, but never far and not for long.  Generally, we've just popped him in the car, and if he's asleep, one of us will stay in the car with him while the other rushes out for a bit!  If he's awake, then we'd just carry him in our arms.

Slings - thanks sjm218 and Baire for your comments.  It wasn't until I tried using the sling at home that I realised the whole chin-to-chest, curved back thing... which makes me wonder how they can market these slings as something you can use from birth?!  Nevermind, I'm sure it'll be useful later.

AFM - we went to a shopping centre yesterday, and took the pram to push DS around whilst we were there.  It was his first time in the pram, and he didn't like it much... so while DH was having lunch, I was in BigW trying to juggle buying pillows, while pushing the pram with one hand and carrying DS in the other arm!

DH carried DS most of the time while were at the shopping centre, and boy, babies are such chick magnets!  I swear, every woman we walked past was staring at DH and DS!  Some women would say to their children "oh, look at that baby, he's like a little doll!".  I guess DS is pretty small, and he does look like a doll... he's only 3 weeks old, afterall!  DH's brother asked if he could borrow DS to get hooked-up!  Hahaha!

#17 queeney

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hey ladies!
finally had my laptop fixed, so hopefully I can post here with a little more frequency! Hate typing on my phone!

Twin boys born 30th Sept, 37+3.
Rhys 6pd 8 and Hayden 7pd 14.

Hayden had a rough start, was born with the aid of vacum to ensure he didn't flip breech after Rhys was born and he just came to quickly and retained fluid on the lungs. He was raced off by ambulance the night he was born (Fri) and returned to us on Wednesday lunch time, he needed the help of a breathing machine called c-pap.

Anyway a month on today and things are great. Life with out them is hard to remember!!

They feed 4 hrly (formula) and go longer some night, both windy and hard to settle at times, but thats just part and parcel of newborns I suppose!

Will check back later, glad to hear your all doing well and so many of you are successfully breastfeeding!

#18 Miss Kitty-Cat

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Yay! Great to see you queeney!

We had our visit with the MCHN today. Poor Georgie hasn't regained her birthweight - she is still almost 140g off sad.gif

We're putting it down to my milk taking almost 10 days to come in and have booked in a review for 2 weeks. I feel dreadful - like such a bad mother.

sad.gif

#19 queeney

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

aww miss kitty cat, dont blame yourself! My first son did this and worried me sick, one of the main reasons why i put him on formula after some ill advice from the health nurse, please dont make any drastic decisions like that, I regretted it so much, you are doing amazing im sure.

At the end of the day if they were worried they wouldn't be waiting 2 weeks to review, its obviouslly 'of concern' but not urgent.

I've heard of it happening to many, so your not alone.

Its so hard with all our emotions to boot! but take it easy on yourself.

#20 EmilyStrange

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

queeney - hi!  Glad to hear that your boys are doing well!  It's amazing how the time just flies, isn't it?!  I can't believe my DS is almost a month old...  And I don't even remember what it felt like to be pregnant - seems like a distant memory!

Miss Kitty-Cat - don't blame yourself, you're not a bad mum!  I "forgot" to wake up for one of the night feeds early on, and felt sooo terrible that I'd let DS go for 5 hours without a change and feed... but he was happily sleeping and was in fact grumpy when I woke him up!

I read somewhere (can't remember where now) about foremilk and hindmilk... foremilk is the low-calorie milk that comes in first during a feed, and hindmilk is the fatty, nutritious milk - perhaps you need to feed Baby G a little longer on each breast so she gets more of the hindmilk per feed?

I thought it was standard to have a visit to the MCHN at 2 weeks, then 4 weeks, then monthly after that...?  I can't remember, have to check my blue book.

AFM - not much new in my world.  We had some naked time today, because I'm using disposable nappies and wanted DS's gorgeous lilttle bottom to have some air.  He didn't like naked time too much. He did stop crying after he did a wee over the vinyl mat though, so that was good.  We'll try naked time again when it's a bit warmer.

#21 ~plg~

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Hi everyone.  Hope you're all enjoying your new babies.  original.gif

I haven't had bubs yet, but I just popped over to have a read and saw Emily's post about her MiniMonkey and thought I might be able to help.

We bought one for DD, probably when she was about 4-6 weeks old, so not newborn.  But I might be able to offer some tips so you can get it working for you.

At first I found it a bit too big, the pouch part, so had to play around with it and figured out how to make it work better by making the pouch smaller.  You basically turn the pouch inside out.  I just went to the website and they now have instructions on how to do this.  Click on the YouTube videos for "Banana Position" and they tell you how to do it at the end.

http://minimonkey.com/english/banana-posit...ips/263/19/269/

See how you go with that.  I did do it a little differently (the website didn't have these instructions at the time) but basically the same.  If you're still having trouble, I can take some photos to try and explain how I did it.  Once I figured this out I absolutely loved the MiniMonkey, so I hope you will to.  I'll be taking mine to the hospital and will hopefully carry bubs in it from very early.

HTH original.gif

Looking forward to joining you ladies VERY soon.  Hopefully.

Edited by ~plg~, 01 November 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#22 ~plg~

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Miss Kitty-Cat @ 31/10/2011, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay! Great to see you queeney!

We had our visit with the MCHN today. Poor Georgie hasn't regained her birthweight - she is still almost 140g off sad.gif

We're putting it down to my milk taking almost 10 days to come in and have booked in a review for 2 weeks. I feel dreadful - like such a bad mother.

sad.gif

Miss Kitty-Cat, please don't feel like a bad mother for your DDs weight loss.  She will get there.  Don't focus on her birth weight, just think about weekly gains.  

When I had DD my milk came in on day 4.  She lost more than 10% in the first 3 days, so the hospital wouldn't let us go home.  Then on day 4 she lost again, so we had to stay another night.  I felt so awful and that I was letting her down.  Then on day 5, after my milk came in, she gained more than 100 grams.  

With your milk not coming in for 10 days, it might just take longer to get back to her birth weight.  Try to take it day by day.  And like Emily said, completely drain one breast before offering the other during a feed, that way she is getting all the lovely fatty hindmilk.  Don't worry, you'll both get there.  original.gif

ETA:  Just checked our arrivals list and saw that bubs is only 2 weeks old.  It's still early days, and I wouldn't worry yet.  If the professionals are saying that most bubs have regained to their birth weight, who cares.  Your baby isn't "most babies".  She is your baby and an individual.  Just like with birth weights, there has to be some babies outside of "average", we can't all be the same.

Edited by ~plg~, 01 November 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#23 EmilyStrange

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Thanks plg.  Seems I had put DS in the inside out side, but he was still too curved in it.  I might try again when he's a bit bigger.

That said, when awake, DS has a very strong neck and has been rolling on to his tummy on his own, putting his neck up to look around, and already trying to push himself up with his arms, but they're not quite strong enough just yet.  His legs are incredibly strong already too - when I sit him on my lap to burp him, he'll sometimes push himself up onto his feet on the chair beneath me.  I don't want to encourage him to stand yet though, because his bones are still too weak.

#24 ~plg~

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

Emily, with the sling you could also unthread the strap from the buckle and give it a half or full twist before rethreading it, which will make it smaller.  That's the way that I did it with DD.  And make sure you put bubs head nice and close to the shoulder pad and pull the sling nice and tight so he is up high rather than hanging low, iykwim.  This might be useless advice, but worth a try.

Just keep playing around with it, I think it just takes a bit to figure out how to position it so it works for you as an individual.

Edited by ~plg~, 01 November 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#25 MintyBiscuit

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hi ladies,
I didn't post much in the DIG because I was quite new to EB when I got my BFP so a little nervous, but I've been reading through for the last little while and loved seeing everyone's babies arrive safe and sound - congratulations to you all biggrin.gif

We welcomed Caleb Joseph into the world at 40+5 on 27/10/2011. He was 4.055kg and 52cm long and I was lucky enough to get the drug free birth I wanted (thanks in part to a very well used TENS machine - that thing was awesome!). Came home yesterday and we're settling in well at this stage.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and your babies - seems like the DIG was a great support network so no doubt this will be too original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.