Mistaken song lyrics

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#51 Loretta27

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hmmmm....I had a few:

Metal as anything - correct words "the nips are getting bigger". I tnought it was "you're lips are getting bigger"

Depeche Mode - correct words "I just can't get enough". I thought "I just can't get it up"  ohmy.gif ohmy.gif  

Wendy Matthews - correct words "Friday's Child". I thought "My name is John". What was I thinking??

#52 starseed

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

My Nana has always sung "Ohhhh werewolf, I would do anything just to be like him"

Instead of Errol- I believe the song is about Errol Flynn. But no to my nana it's about werewolves!  biggrin.gif

While we're on the topic- does anyone know the right lyrics to "Remember me"
Remember me, I'm the one that had your blah blah blah....???
I've never known and it kills me?

#53 newkie

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (broncosbabe @ 21/10/2011, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surprised no one has mentioned "Long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll" It usually always comes us early

DS1 has a tee with this on it, makes me giggle a little every time he wears it original.gif

There are heaps that I get wrong, but a recent-ish one that comes to mind is "let that record play" instead of "spin that record babe" which is not too different, but is made a little cringe worthy when coupled with the fact that I told DD1 she was singing it wrong for about 2 months, before I twigged that it was in fact me that had it wrong cool.gif

My other fave is one from Pearl Jam - it's supposed to be "don't go on me", however my then 13 year old friend thought he was pretty sh*t hot singing "stomp the wombat" until I dissolved into giggles and informed him they don't have wombat's in Seattle Tounge1.gif

I love threads like these biggrin.gif

#54 Sloane Peterson

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

^^ baby...

cant remember for the life of me who sings it... Oh was it blue boy or something like that???

#55 Leah Maree

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:32 PM

driving home the other night the song i need a dollar came on, hubby thought he was singing i need a daughter

christmas a few years ago FIL was singing along to poker face by lady gaga. but was singing p-p-pump up the base.

#56 *-*

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

I was another for...

"Another turnip boy, a fork stuck in the road" - I remember the finale for Seinfield and was thinking WTF is a Turnip boy??

Edited by *~Katrina~*, 21 October 2011 - 11:53 PM.

#57 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

These are hilarious to read!

Ok mine are

Amazing grapes how sweet and sour - amazing grace how sweet the sound

and one that I hear the kids at school song all the time

"with golden soil and wealth for toys" - from the Australian anthem

#58 BetteBoop

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

I only just found out the song I thought was Valerie is actually Out of Reach.

blush.gif

QUOTE (motomoto @ 21/10/2011, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kiss This Guy - an archive of misheard song lyrics  biggrin.gif

I also defy anyone to know the correct lyrics to REM's The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight.. I swear it's "Call-a me Jamaica, call-a me Jamaicaaaa"

Comin in to wake her up - according to the book of lyrics. I could never hear it myself.

#59 Bigmum

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (Sloane Peterson @ 21/10/2011, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Smooth Operator - Sade!

thanks!

Remember me, I'm the one who had your baby/ies

#60 BadgerBasher

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

I have been informed that as a very young girl I sang
Away in a manger
No crib for a bed
The little lord Jesus
Lay down asleep dead.

also Skyhooks "women in uniform" I thought was Women are Beautiful. Mum never corrected it because she thought it was good for my self esteem

#61 *Arno*

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:30 AM

These are hilarious!

A friend used to sing "Eye of the tiger, he's the king of the crop" instead of "Eye of the tiger, he's the king of the fight"

"Cheap wine and it's three days old"

The Macy Grey song where it goes "My world crumbles when you are not near" my friend used to sing "I wear goggles when you are not near"!

#62 delli

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

As kids we would sing The Spice Girls - Stop! as
"Stop right now, spank your hairy croutch'
rather than
Stop right now, thank you very much.

#63 Ange

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

I thought it was 'Raise your hands up' instead of 'Where's your head at?' - boy did I look like a dork in the club raising my hands up each time laughing2.gif

A friend of mine thought 'it's too late to appologise' was 'its too late to go to johnny's' laughing2.gif

#64 greengoddess

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:53 AM

I'm sitting here all smugly thinking where did you bumpkins come from with your misheard lyrics, until DP pointed out a few of my own.... oh the shame!

"Celebrate good times" forever more in my mind will remain "Celebration times".

"The final countdown"........ "The final downtown" (I know, it makes no sense. Perhaps I thought it was a footy grand final).

There are tonnes more but I can't remember them all!

His was the aforementioned "Dress for some sex" by Roxette.

I remember a girl on the radio asking about the Eurythmics "and I want you, and I want you, and I want you so it's an obsession".... she could only hear "and I want you something circumcision".... listen to it, it sounds EXACTLY like this!!

#65 _audrey_

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (**Xena** @ 21/10/2011, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heaps- I suck at lyrics laughing2.gif

Don't Go For Second Best I thought was "Don't Choke on Sex"

Like a G6, Like a G6 I thought was "Like Jesus, Like Jesus"

Unleash the Dragon I thought was "Punish the Dragon"

I don't Want to Get Bitter I thought was "I don't wwant to get thinner"

I'm sure there's more but that's what I can remember off the top of my head

I used to think G6 was 'Like a cheese stick'.  I don't sing out loud in public much anymore laugh.gif

#66 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

When I first started dating my DH he told me about his fav song Gypsies Girl. After about 6 months I told him that I had no idea what that song was so he played it for me.

And on came Jessie's Girl  rolleyes.gif  One of the best known songs.

#67 beakie

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Madonna"dress you up in my love" to "dress you up in Milo, in Milo"

#68 geishagirl

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

Ha ha, love this thread. Incorrect lyrics are better than the real one in some cases!

I do this all the time but most recently it was the Elbow song 'Lippy Kids' (not sure how well known Elbow are here?) which has the line 'Build a Rocket, Boys'. I thought it was 'Build a Rocking Horse' which had no connection whatsoever to the song so I did think it was a little odd!

#69 hollysmama

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

One of James Blunt's songs sounds like he says "standing with a semi beside the sea"  I laugh every time and I still don't know what the right lyrics are!

#70 happynow

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

my youngest son sings all the cigarettes  all the cigarettes  instead of all the single ladies all the single ladies by beyonce and his newest one is  come and take a ride on my disco bits   instead of disco stick   by lady gaga

Edited by happynow, 22 October 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#71 childless_stepmum

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Ange @ 22/10/2011, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was 'Raise your hands up' instead of 'Where's your head at?' - boy did I look like a dork in the club raising my hands up each time laughing2.gif

A friend of mine thought 'it's too late to appologise' was 'its too late to go to johnny's' laughing2.gif

roll2.gif Me too! Oh the shame...

#72 kylielouise

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

mamma mia's 'how can i resist you?'

sung.... 'sunna munna jista'

'An old man turned and he ate, he won the lottery and died the next day.'

'I saw the sun, i opened up my eyes and saw the sun'

and the list goes on...

#73 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

Last night I dreamt of lumbago...

Which should be -

Last night I dreamt of San Pedro

(La Isla Bonita by Madonna)

#74 kylielouise

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

oh and i forgot, at school the other day a little boy in kindy sang

'Australians all eat sausages' for the national anthem

and Macy Gray's ' my dog grumbles when you are not here'

#75 Mintjelly

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

blinded by the light! wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night!

I still don't know what the real words are blush.gif .

Me too....so I looked them up and it is ..
Blinded by the light,
revved up like a deuce,   I was questioning if I knew what the word Douche meant roll2.gif

Mine are;

Brian McFadden - Just say so.....was Potatoes (I could not work out why anyone but the wiggles would write a song about potatoes  unsure.gif )

Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit - Some Potatoes, More Potatoes etc   should be
A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay

Yeah obviously I have a thing for potatoes  blush.gif To be honest my words sound better to me LOL

My DD1 would sing to Away in a manger - the cattle are mooing (so very cute original.gif )

With giggle and hoot blaring in the background I cannot think of anymore, but being partially deaf make sure I stuff up often  blink.gif

Edited by Mintjelly, 22 October 2011 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.