UPDATED Post # 66 No idea what I'm doing - breastfeeding, baby sleeping, can't stop crying etc

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cat-O-Holic_*

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Hi All,

DS is only 5 days old. He was weighed on Friday and by Sunday he had put on 150g. His poos are yellow and he's been weeing but he seems to be sleeping more and more and feeding less and less. Is his poo meant to be watery and yellow?

Yesterday he was feeding for about 15 minutes every 2-3 hours. Today he's barely woken up for a feed.

Today, he's literally been asleep  all day and since approx 9am this morning. I had to wake him up  at 1pm to feed him and he only fed for about 15 minutes. He kind of woke  up at 3.30pm so I fed him but he ended up being sick sad.gif He kind of woke up at about 6pm and I fed him for 10 minutes and now he's fallen back asleep. Today he has only been feeding for 10 minutes per time, I've been lucky if it's 15 minutes.

I can't tell if my breasts are full or if they're engorged or if they've been drained or anything. I know people say they should feel heavier etc, but I just can't tell. unsure.gif I don't know if I should use a breast pump to drain it because I don't know if DS is feeding enough etc. I've got a supply because my breasts drip like a tap whenever I put him to one of my breasts.

He hasn't done a proper poo in about 7 hours but has wet the nappy. I don't know if he is regressing. Is it normal for them not to poo all day? He was pooing fine the day before.

How will I know if he is gaining weight? Am I supposed to weigh him?

I am an emotional wreck at the moment. I think it's just hormones. I feel completely overwhelmed and sleep deprived. I can't stop crying at everything. cry1.gif The visiting midwife was fantastic and I am beyond devastated that I will never see her again. Not because I want her for baby advice but because I want her to be my friend. huh.gif Yesterday I cried because there was a giant panda on TV and his habitat was being destroyed.

I have left a message with the CHN and hopefully she calls back tomorrow so I can make an appointment.

I'm sorry this has turned into an essay, I don't really even know what I'm asking. sad.gif Just feel so overwhelmed. cry1.gif  cry1.gif  cry1.gif

Edited by Cat-O-Holic, 29 October 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

It's okay for a breastfed baby not to poo for a while. original.gif yes it's meant to be watery and yellow.

It's also normal for them to feed lots one day and not much the other day.

Here's what to look for:

wet nappies (someone chime in with how many I've forgotten)
wet mouth and inside of cheeks
thigh skin nice and plump not saggy
cheeks nice and rounded, not sunken
eyes not glassy

If he isn't weeing, has little saliva and his skin is starting to sag and cheeks sink it's dehydration. If he's got wet nappies then he's doing okay. If you pump extra milk you risk robbing him of the fatty hindmilk or giving yourself an oversupply - don't do that.

Your crying is normal too. It's the baby blues - 3-5 days you're bang on schedule, sunshine.

It sounds like you are doing great.

Edited by howdo, 24 October 2011 - 08:59 PM.

#3 liveworkplay

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

Sit down, take a deep breath and chocolate will help lol

A lot of babies are very sleepy in the first week or so. If you are concerned, talk to the health nurse (which you are on the way to doing, which is a good thing original.gif ) I would personally be waking him every 4 hours to feed if he has not woken himself. If you have to, undress him, tickle his toes, what ever you can do to get him to suck.
Yellow watery poos are normal.
Going up to 7 days between poos for a BF baby is normal (or anything inbetween)
Crying at anything is totally normal, it will pass (although to a degree you will always be a bit more weepy then pre children original.gif )

When you CHN rings you back they will make an appointment to see them where baby gets checked and weighed. Depending on what state you are in, these get done more or less regularly in the first year. A lot of pharmacies have CHN  in sometime to do free checks and weighing if you want to check weight between official appointments. Also most CHN have drop in sessions. T

The CHN will also organise a mothers group for you to attend. Forget the horror stories you read on EB and give it a try. Mine was a life saver in meeting new mums and forming friendships.

and CONGRATULATIONS biggrin.gif You are doing a fantastic job.

Edited by liveworkplay, 24 October 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#4 Dionysus

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

I agree with howdo, you are doing fine!

Lots of wet nappies is good, watery poos are fine

They only have wee little tummies, they don't need much to fill them up.

Sleep when he sleeps, try and rouse him every 4 hours for a feed.  At this stage his 'routine' is basically sleep, feed, nappy, sleep, feed, nappy... with sleep being the bulk of it.

It will change, though - pretty much once you get the hang of their routine, they change it.  Keeps us on our toes  lol

#5 Gentle Smentle

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

Howdo I think it's six wet nappies minimum per day? Is that right anyone?

I also would be waking bubs regularly to feed. Don't wait for him to wake up. The more he feeds during the day the less he'll feed at night. Make a feeding schedule so that he gets regular feeds throughout the day and a couple overnight.

You are doing great OP! It's not easy is it original.gif

OP if you are interested I followed a really great routine when DD was born, I can PM it to you if you want to look at it, just let me know.  It worked great for me.  original.gif

Edited by Childlike Emporess, 24 October 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#6 VintageEyes

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

My DS always fell asleep at the breast. I had to take all his clothes off, and tickle him behind his ear or stroke his jaw line every now and then to keep him drinking.

They do have days where they will drink like crazy, and then the next day not drink as much.

You may not notice if your breasts are full, but for me they felt "tight" like the skin was being pulled taught. They may also (but not necessarily) leak, especially if you are laying on them etc. You can still have a good supply, and not feel "full." The only real indication is if bubs is putting on weight.

Breastmilk is very efficient, which means that it is possible for bubs to "use up" all the milk, with no excess or waste (poo). This makes sense if your baby is feeding less. The nappy should be wet (but not necessarily full) before every feed (ie 6-8 wet nappies in 24 hrs).

It takes a while for your hormones to sort themselves out, but you will probably be very "sensitive" for months. I just avoided the news alltogether.

Congratulations OP, you are doing well.

#7 liela

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Op,
He should have about 8-10 wet nappies a day. His poo will look like seeded mustard and then progress in time to looking a bit like peanut butter. He will generally poo with each feed at this stage but this isn't absolute.
I also had some BF issues and bub wasn't feeding enough, not putting on enough weight and sleeping a lot. I was told to wake her at least every three hours and feed her. Sometimes she would feed for 15 minutes other times 40 minutes. The three hours starts from the beginning of the feed.

Also, to keep her awake whilst feeding I was told to touch her feet and face in a nice way to get her to feed rather than sleep.
I also expressed one feed a day and DF was giving her that feed in a bottle so I could take a break or if I needed a bit of sleep. Although, there is arguements about using a bottle whilst BFing, and nipple confusion, but for my bub it hasn't been an issue.

Take a deep breath you are doing a great job.

#8 Guest_Cat-O-Holic_*

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Thanks everyone original.gif

I've been trying to wake him, but he's a pretty hardcore sleeper no matter what I do. I usually manage to get a 10 minute feed out of him so I will keep doing that.

I try to sleep when he does but then I can't relax because I worry that he'll stop breathing. It's irrational but I find myself waking myself up to check on him.

I sound like a bloody lunatic.

Edited by Cat-O-Holic, 24 October 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#9 magicbeans

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Congratulations on your new baby!
Poos sound normal to me - and yep babies have small little tummies so they fill up fast.

Maternal Health Nurse will guide you regarding the weight etc, they have checklists and stuff for that.

Dont be afraid to call Tresillian Parent’s Help Line on (02) 9787 0855 or 1800 637 357 (Freecall outside Sydney.  I dont reckon i rang them enough  biggrin.gif

As per PP try and sleep when baby sleeps and dont worry about those tears - perfectly normal  original.gif

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Oh you poor thing sad.gif
Was he jaundiced when you came home from hospital? Does he look jaundiced now? If he is jaundiced it can account for his sleepiness and you should probably take him back to the hospital for a blood test to see the level of his SBR.
If he isn't jaundiced and looks otherwise well and he is having at least 6 wet nappies a day then poo doesn't matter and if he is having short feeds just ensure he does all the feed on one side then give him the other side next feed.
I think it is a good idea for you to visit your CHN and have him weighed to check that his sleepiness isn't causing lack of weight gain.

Please don't be so hard on yourself, all new mothers feel full of doubt to start with. Do you have someone close to you to support you?
Lots of good luck. It does sound as though you are doing a fine job.

#11 TaciturnTurtledove

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

It all sounds normal to me. Newborns are a real shock, and I know the feeling of not knowing what the heck you are doing. You learn, and you find people to help you, and the feeling passes.

Poo sounds fine. Weight gain sounds fine. Feeding sounds fine - I'm one to wake my baby up every 3 hours during the day to feed them, so feel free to do that if you want.

To me, your baby sounds like a normal 5 day old.

Do get as much help as you can though - babies are just so difficult when they're new and you don't know how to look after them yet.

#12 liveworkplay

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

No you don't. you just sound like any new mum!

#13 FeralAndIKnowIt

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

No, you just sound like a normal new Mum. Your emotions are totally out of control but that is totally normal!

#14 rye

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

He may be a very efficient feeder, so don't panic too much if his feeds aren't too long. So long as he is settled and going through the nappies, you're on the right track. I nearly fell over with surprise when I discovered that my 3 day old daughter could fully drain a breast in nine minutes. Compared to her brother, who fed for over an hour at the same age. Some kids just have the right technique from the get-go. Congratulations on your beautiful new addition. original.gif

#15 theladybird

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Cat-o-Holic, saw your post in Breastfeeding section and just wanted to jump over here and give you a cuddle! You're doing fine. My DD was very sleepy for the first 3 weeks, and then had a huge burst of feeding - I'm sure your time for 2hrly sessions will come!! Just keep responding to your baby and try not to worry too much, your DS is getting used to the word and you're both getting used to each other.

If in doubt do whatever LuckyTwo says, worked for me when I was overwhelmed and stressed just like you! The ABA can also be great, don't be afraid to give them a call.

Congratualtions on your new baby, you'll be a breastfeeding pro in no time.

bbighug.gif

#16 me_n_my_kidz

QUOTE (Cat-O-Holic @ 24/10/2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been trying to wake him, but he's a pretty hardcore sleeper no matter what I do. I usually manage to get a 10 minute feed out of him so I will keep doing that.

I try to sleep when he does but then I can't relax because I worry that he'll stop breathing. It's irrational but I find myself waking myself up to check on him.

I was exactly the same with my first - she was a fabulous sleeper but I was always petrified she wasn't going to wake up. So a lunatic? You and me both! lol

#17 me_n_my_kidz

I was exactly the same with my first - she was a fabulous sleeper but I was always petrified she wasn't going to wake up. So a lunatic? You and me both! lol

#18 Eirinn

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

You're doing great OP!

150g is a great weight gain. Check the table out on this page re. newborn stomach size:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/hp-ps/dca-dea/s...ps-cons-eng.php

I personally would let him sleep, the sleepy newborn stage is over so quickly. And I also wouldn't worry about the short feeds - he may just be an efficient sucker. DD2 was exactly like this, and I was really worried because DD1 would take ages to feed. But her weight gain was always great, she was definitely getting what she needed.

I couldn't tell about the state of my breasts either when I was at the stage you are at. You will get to know the differences, like so many things in this motherhood game, it just takes some time. I felt like a failure because I thought I was supposed to instinctively know all these things about my baby straight away. It doesn't happen overnight but believe me it does happen!

Big hugs OP - it is very overwhelming at first.

#19 Zeppelina

Oh OP, my heart goes out to you. I have been there (you could've been describing me and my son a few months ago), and the first thing I want to say is that you will one day wake up and realise that you've gotten through those confusing first days/weeks and you kind of have an idea of what you are doing. So hang in there.

I think the PPs have given you some great advice re feeding etc. I just wanted to say that while the teariness is definitely normal, if you're still feeling like that in a few days (and even now), make sure you keep talking talking talking to someone about how you're going (even if it's just us in EB land!) Don't pretend that you're all fine and dandy if you're not, even (or perhaps especially!) to your partner/husband/whoever.

Don't forget you can call the pregnancy, birth and baby helpline (1800 882 436) if you can't get an appointment with your CHN. If you're in Victoria, there's also the Maternal and Child Health Line (13 22 29).

You are doing great, and I'm sure your baby knows how lucky he is to have you as a mum! Wishing you the best of luck and massive hugs  bbighug.gif

#20 bunnee

No you don't. You sound like a new mum. We've all been there. You're doing a great job.

And congratulations on your new baby. biggrin.gif

#21 Dionysus

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Cat-O-Holic @ 24/10/2011, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You sound like a perfectly good new mum.  You will very quickly get much more confident about all of it, yes there will be sleepless nights and endless crying, but a lot of it will become second nature quite quickly.

As for sleeping, I used to put DD in a moses style basket on the floor next to the couch and lie down for a rest.  Never really fell asleep, but was able to easily just look over at her to see she was ok, then go back to resting.

#22 ~Jot~

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

You've got all the best advice here already. He sounds just like DD2 was, I regularly rang my MCHN asking if she was supposed to sleep so much! It was just her. But if you're ever concerned about anything don't be afraid to take him to the doctor for a check up.

Also, with both my DDs I cried RIVERS of tears from about day 5 to day 10. I can't believe how much I cried! It does pass, just keep doing what you're doing. Ask for help when you need it, and don't worry about anything except looking after yourself and the baby. Best wishes, and congrats on your beautiful new baby.

#23 ChickenortheEgg?

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

You're little one sounds  very much like a newborn. bbighug.gif

#24 karablue

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 24/10/2011, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh you poor thing sad.gif
Was he jaundiced when you came home from hospital? Does he look jaundiced now? If he is jaundiced it can account for his sleepiness and you should probably take him back to the hospital for a blood test to see the level of his SBR.
If he isn't jaundiced and looks otherwise well and he is having at least 6 wet nappies a day then poo doesn't matter and if he is having short feeds just ensure he does all the feed on one side then give him the other side next feed.
I think it is a good idea for you to visit your CHN and have him weighed to check that his sleepiness isn't causing lack of weight gain.

Please don't be so hard on yourself, all new mothers feel full of doubt to start with. Do you have someone close to you to support you?
Lots of good luck. It does sound as though you are doing a fine job.

I thought of this as well.  My DS2 was jaundice and while we were cleared to leave hospital on Day 5 (he was under lights for 2 days) he was very sleepy and didn't feed well at all in the beginning.  I was going through the same emotions you are right now and I should have been an expert as it was my second child original.gif

Given that he is putting on weight, things are looking okay. However, as STBG suggests definitely see your CHN.  Also, make use of the various state and national hotlines.  I've done that with my DS3 and feeding.  They are always wonderful and so supportive and if you are like me you will start crying just because someone is caring.  Drat those hormones.

Have confidence in yourself that you are doing a wonderful job. You are seeing to all his needs (feeding, changing him and cuddling him) and most of all loving him.

#25 lucky 2

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

I've got to say how wonderful you all are with your support and advice for a new (and understandably overwhelmed) mum.
You guys absolutely rock (or should I say EB rocks wink.gif).

OP, calling a 24 hour line is a good idea if you remain concerned about your lovely baby after reading all of the posts. Are you in NSW? Did pp's give you the right numbers?

A long awaited baby has arrived, it is an awesome thing but can be very frightening, the anxiety, the love and the responsibility.
I'm wondering what would happen if you ring the Hosp where you gave birth, do you think you could do that? Do you think it would calm you to have a chat to a MW there, ie in Emergency Dept (if they have one), someone with some time to talk?
Wishing you all the best and I hope posting has been helpful for you.

eta, I saw your other post in the thread in Bfing, you are in WA. It seems the 24 hour phone line to ring with questions concerning babies (and for any age) is Health Direct 1800 022 222.

Edited by luckytwo, 24 October 2011 - 10:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.