73 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

New thread time ladies

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=905167

#2 ~*Lou*~

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

GOLD!!

No news here, was wondering how everyone else is?

SJM - how are you recoverying, and how are you coping with 2, hope you're doing ok, feeding ok etc, getting reasonable amount of sleep ...

Lou original.gif

#3 sjm218

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

Silver!!

Quie in here.

Lou - I am recovering really well, and actually feel great. I am still not allowed to lif Charlie which I hate, but otherwise I am able to do most things.

Sleep wise I am doing well. Amelia is sleeping well, 3 -4 hours at a time. She seems to sleep all day too. I really don't remember Charlie sleeping this much. She eats and sleeps and hardly has any wake time (so it seems).

Charlie is doing well with her, lotsvof kisses (licks really) and sharing of snacks and drinks ( scary). He doesn't seem jealous, and is pretty ok with us tending to her. Dh is home at the moment though, so it might change when he goes back to work.

Charlie finally learned how to say yes this week!! He is stringing words together a lot now too. 2-3 words.

#4 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Bronze original.gif

Hope everyone is well this week.

#5 flyingkiwi

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hi everyone,

Boobie prize!

Just a quick one. Had our morphology scan today - 19w2d. I was a bit worried because I've hardly been feeling any movement (blame the anterior placenta) and then I got food poisoning on Friday from some smoked salmon (I know, what was I thinking - I made sure it was hot though!) and spent most of the weekend throwing up.

Anyway, all is good, didn't get very good pics, baby is a bit squirmy. Only concern is a small (1.3mm) hole in the heart, which apparently often will heal on its own. I need another scan in a couple of months to see what's happened, and we'll go from there.

And we didn't find out the sex - was slightly tempted, but we had agreed not to.

#6 meljb

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

so we finally have a new thread original.gif
Not much to report here. Annabelle had a shocker last night and would only sleep with her head right up against mine, concequently I ended up sleeping on a tiny sliver of bed and now have a sore back/hip sad.gif Nothing a good night's sleep tonight wont fix (I hope!). We seen the ECHN on Thursday morning so we'll see what she says about the lack of speech.
QQ - those of you who have had the 18mth needles done, have you received the maternity immunisation payment and how long, about, did it take to come through? I have received the 4yr payment for Matthew but nothing for Annabelle and their needles were done on the same day so im a bit puzzled.

flying kiwi - hope the hole heals itself and hope you are feeling better sad.gif

sjm - older siblings do tend to "share" a lot with the baby  wink.gif Annabelle was exposed to peanut butter very early in her life via peanut butter covered kisses and hugs. Im pleased she's sleeping so well for you, long may it last original.gif

Lou - thinking of you, as always. Hope everything is going ok.

#7 emily~and~girls

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hi All

Just back from the beach - beautiful weather the day we arrived, rained the next 4 days ..... hmmmm.... stilll got to the beach with rugged up kids and they ran around in the fresh air and knakered themselves biggrin.gif

Feeling rather snotty myself now though

meljb- i havent had the payment through yet either, will let you know

need to get back to unpacking  huh.gif

Emily

#8 sjm218

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Emily - sorry younhad bad weather at the beach, here's hoping you don't get sick.

Meljb - have you had annabelle's hearing tested recently? Charlie stopped making sounds and it turned out he had ear infections which were affecting his hearing. We fixed the ears and the taking etc came back....

Flying kiwi - your morphology scan sounds a bit scary, although it sounds like a minor problem. Any problem is a worry isn't it? Here's hoping you next check is perfect.

As for not finding out the gender, did you find out with max??  I loved not knowing what we were having, it was so exciting!!

All going well here. Dh went out on Sunday, so I had both kids for the whole day! It didn't start well. Dh's brother lef the bathroom door open (while I was feeding), and then left. Needless to say Charlie bolted straight to the bathroom, bil left toilet setup too, so he splashed around in the toilet. I got up to stop him and of course he ran off, but since his feet were wet, he slipped and put his tooth through his lip ( not all the way thank goodness!). While I was sorting this out, dd must have got shaken up too much and threw up everywhere, so I had blood all over one baby and vomit on the other......great start. I almost called dh back at this stage!

After I got them both calmed down, we had a pretty good day. Dinner and bath time was a bit tricky, especially since I am not supposed to lift Charlie for another three weeks!!

All in all, I think I did ok, but it is tricky juggling it all, I am sure I will get better at it especially when Amelia starts feeding less.

Charlie had his Halloween parade at daycare yesterday, it was soooooooo cute. He went as a dinosaur. I love costumes, and they are cheap here! We had a fair number of trickle treaters last night, but not as many as usual, maybe because it was a Monday!!!

On the talking topic, so exciting, Charlie has finally learnt how to say yes!! Thank goodness! He has also started to add all these weird endings to words, eg instead of book, he will say book- kkkssss, kind of like the noise Germans make. It is very odd. He is a bit snotty at the moment, but I am getting his hearing checked again soon just in case (he is due for grommets follow up check up anyway).

Not much else going on here.

#9 meljb

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

sjm - no hearing checks yet, if they send her for an assessment by the speech therapist then the first thing they do is a hearing test. She responds when you talk to her so im fairly sure her hearing is ok, but i guess only a test will show for sure.
You do get much better at juggling the needs of both kids  biggrin.gif Hope Charlie's lip heals quickly.

emily - pity about the weather for your beach trip.

#10 ~*Lou*~

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hi ladies

Toby got his second hair cut, and first shoes (pre walkers) yesterday, screamed through both activities, thought he was having a dreadful afternoon! He can walk unassisted when he forgets to hold on, as far as across the living room, more than once, but mostly he thinks he needs to hold on to a finger or a piece of furniture. So a pre-walker is for when we take him to the park or wherever, otherwise he is bare foot most of the time.

DH got gastro on Tuesday afternoon, MIL (who was with us looking after DS as usual for a Wednesday) and DD got sick last night (48 hrs after DH). Fingers tightly crossed neither DS, my mum who was with me yesterday afternoon when DD got ill, or myself get it – I think we have another 24 hrs before we are really in the clear (48 hrs from when DD got ill). This is second time in 7 weeks, since I started chemo, that DH has got ill to the stomach, I am over it! (wondering if there is something missing in our hygiene or cleaning at home, tbh). We do a lot of handwashing but there must be more I can do!

SJM - sounds like you coped very well on your first day solo, it IS hard, one big juggling act, I'm still not great at it and DD is 4 yrs and DS is 18 mths old now!

Lou original.gif

#11 sjm218

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:57 PM

Lou - I hope you avoided the gastro - the last thing you need right now! Funny about Toby and his haircut and shoes. Charlie is vain and loves looking at himself in the mirror, so that is easy! As for shoes, he hates getting them fitted, but he loves shoes. It is cold here, so we bought some slippers and he loves them! We couldn't keep socks on him, but his slippers never come off!

Dh had a frightening experience on Sunday when I was out with dd. He was eating a snack and started choking, it took a few hits to the back to get the food out, but he cleared it, it frightened dh though. We had been gettn pretty relaxed with food since he is older, so it was a timely reminder to keep an eye out!

We are also getting more teeth here, Charlie only has 7 teeth, but he seems to have three coming up at the same time. Poor baby, dribbling everywhere, chewing on everything, not affecting his sleep.....yet!

Hope everyone is well, talk soon!

#12 ~*Lou*~

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

SJM- your poor DH, would have had a fright! Poor Charlie and his teething, Toby brought thru several teeth in one go as well, at least the pain was over sooner than later, and not endless months of teething!

Yep, fortunately I avoided the gastro, only DH, DD and MIL got it (phew).

Lou original.gif

#13 ~*Lou*~

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

Arrgghhh, Claudia has been ill again - seriously, she has vomitted once a week for last 3 weeks - always couple of hours after falling asleep in the evening, wakes, throws up once and then is fine the next day (but we always keep her home from child care per the 48 hr rule). What am I doing wrong that she's getting ill so often??

Toby saying more words - broom broom when playing with cars, toot toot when playing with trains, door (which means he actually wants to go out of, he is mad for going out and not staying home!). Says shush at bedtime. Can say shoes. Think we're getting some yes and no too.

Lou original.gif

#14 mccarro

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

Hi all. Sorry it's been awhile. I've been reading along though. Hope everyone and your littlies are all doing well.

Things have been so hectic for us. Work is incredibly busy, and this time of year always gets so crazy. By the time I get home, prepare dinner, get the boy to bed, and wash up - I will note that I do have DH's help for most of that - I just crash on the lounge.

We think Atticus has Roseola last week. We had a weekend of really high temps - 40 degrees - with no other symptoms, and then on Tuesday he came up with a rash on his chest and back that spread to his neck and ears, but it went almost as soon as it came, so we didn't even make it to the doctor to confirm, but given his up to date with all his immunisations it's unlikely to be the other nasty things that cause spots.

We also had our appointment at the hospital last week and got Leo's post-mortem results. I can't believe how unlucky I am. I posted my whole story in the miscarriage thread, but here's the gist of it. It turns out that a bacterial influenza infection normally associated with upper respiratory tract infections had gotten into my bloodstream and then my uterus, inflaming the membranes and uterine lining. The chemical response of the body, designed to fight the infection, is very similar to that which starts labour, and my uterus was essentially tricked into thinking is was time go. The doctor emphasised that this kind of infection presenting in this way is extraordinarily rare - his exact words were "there have been a couple cases of this documented in the literature". He explained that the outcome was probably predetermined as soon as the infection got into my bloodstream, which would have been weeks before the loss, and that it was highly unlikely that antibiotics at that time would have made any difference.

This outcome made me feel a lot better. I know now that there was nothing I could have done, and I know that it's unlikely to happen again. This news couldn't have come at a better time, as I got a BFP on Monday. My last period was all over the place, so my dates are a bit unclear, but considering DH and I didn't do the deed for a month before the 21 October, I must be somewhere between 4 and 5 weeks, due mid-July. Despite the fact that the rarity of what happened with Leo means I'm not considered high-risk for this one, I'm incredibly nervous, and my counselling for losing Leo has turned into anxiety management for this pregnancy. Hopefully mentioning it on here hasn't jinxed me. My psych has recommended I stay away from pregnancy forums, but I'll make sure I'm disciplined enough to only read this thread so I can at least stay in contact with you all.

Speaking of crashing on the lounge, I feel a bit off tonight, so I think I'll head that way and watch the episode of crownies I couldn't stay up for last night.

x Heidi

#15 sjm218

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

Mccarro - I read your other post, I am so glad you got an answer about Leo. Congratulations on your BFP!! pregnancy anxiety is so hard - I hope your psych helps you with that. Good luck!! We will keep you in our prayers.

Lou - I am so sorry Claudia has been sick again. I am sure it isn't anything you are doing wrong, but there is a lot going on in your lives, perhaps she is reflecting all that in her health. I really hope she gets well soon and stays well!

Afm - well we had our own share of drama here. Charlie has ha a cold and kindly shared it with dd. On Wednesday night she felt a little warm, I took her temp and it was ok. She woke at 11pm and was warmer again, but temp was not bad, she woke again at 2 and temp was too high. I called the paediatrician's office and they told me to take her to hospital to be assessed. So I got dh home from work to stay with Charlie and took dd to hospital.

As she was only 27 days, they have this whole protocol they follow for a high temp, they took blood, urine (catheter put in to get sample - poor thing), and then they did a spinal tap (horrifying!!). She was then admitted and we had to stay minimum 48 hours until all the test results were back. So I have been in hospital with her for the past two days. Her temp came down by itself and stayed down on our first day in hospital. She was out of sorts and fed heaps and heaps and didn't sleep very well. So it was a tiring two days.

Charlie came in to visit with dh morning and night, but I felt bad not being with him.

Test results all came back normal and we are finally home!! Thankfully, the hospital had a private room for us, there was a hospital bed for me and she was in the newborn crib thing. They provided all my meals, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

So glad to be home though. She has slept almost the whole time we have been home. I had a great two hour nap....bliss!

#16 meljb

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

Lou - im sure you're not doing anything wrong, it's just bad luck.

sjm - how scary for you. Hope you are all recovering well now.

mccarro -  hhugs.gif im so pelased you got an answer for why you lost Leo, it must be a relief to have an answer. Congratulations on your bfp, hope it all continues to go smoothly.

as for us - we have been put on the waiting list for Annabelle to see a speech pathologist, it could be 3 or 4 months before we get in. In the meantime I've been given a list of places to take her to get a hearing test, not many of them do under 4s, so im going to start phoning on Monday. I've also been given something to read with some strategies we can use in the meantime, from the quick look i've had a lot of it seems to be what we're already doing, but i'll have a proper read and see what elese we can do. Annabelle has had bad poos over the last few days, so bad her poor little bum is so sore she screams at every nappy change sad.gif I thought it was teething causing it, because that's what normally happens, but i've woken up with an upset tummy today so now im thinking she might be sick even though she's happy, no temp and eating normally. Hopefully she comes good in the next 24 hours, otherwise it's more time off work for me.

#17 ~*Lou*~

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

SJM - wow that must have been stressful with poor Amelia being ill, high temp, I shudder at the idea of the tests they did for her! thank goodness you're now all home and recoverying

MELJ - good luck with the phone calls on Monday, finding a speechie for Annabelle, its hard work sometimes!

MACCRO - all the very very very best for this BFP, I have everything crossed for you. I'm so glad you got answers about darling Leo.

Lou original.gif

#18 flyingkiwi

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

mccarro, I couldn't read and not post - congratulations on the BFP and I hope you have a smooth 9 months! Of course you will be anxious to get past 14 weeks, even though you know your risk isn't increased - just take it one day at a time. Glad you got some answers about Leo too - how very unlucky.

meljb, poor Annabelle with her bottom, hope it clears up. And I hope you've managed to track down a speech pathologist for her.

sjm218, oh my goodness, that must have been quite scary with Amelia! Did you get any results from all those tests? Hope she's back to her normal self now.

~*Lou*~ toot toot is one of Max's latest words too. I swear his most frequent words are car, truck, motorbike and mower. Obsessed! He's also just started mooing (but without opening his mouth) for cows, and this morning repeated "Oh dear" twice.

AFM, so tired, don't know how I'm going to manage the next 18 weeks or so! Napped yesterday while Max had his nap, and then had a really horrible night last night, just couldn't get comfortable and felt like I was looking at the clock every hour. So this morning I took Max into childcare, did some errands, then came home and slept for 3 hours! So I'm having a semi-sick day, just doing a little bit of work from home. It's so peaceful without DS and DH here! I might have to take a mattress into work so I can nap at lunchtimes... Other than that is all is good, starting to feel a lot more movement. Max now points at my tummy when I ask him where the baby is, although he did point at himself once.

And we still haven't weaned. Every so often he'll go without, but most mornings he'll still climb into bed with me for a feed. Starting to think he's not going to stop of his own accord...

#19 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi Everyone

Mccarro Congratulations, I do hope all goes well for you.  I call both my girls my rainbow babies as they both followed miscarriages.  Feel free to PM if you want to chat or need anything.  I am sorry to hear about little Leo but I am glad that you have some answers.

Lou I hope that all is going well and you have avoided the gastro, I hope your family manage to keep it contained to themselves or get rid of it soon.

Meljb we had Rhiannon's hearing tested when she was about 3-4 months old last year here, Taralye, our GP referred us.  We were originally going to get both girls tested together but they rushed Rhiannon through and we waited several months for Elizabeth.  Both girls had follow up visits with tests and all went well.  The staff were lovely and seemed to know what they were doing.  Don't know if this helps at all and it is based in Melbourne.

Flyingkiwi good luck and rest as much as you.  I still have sleeps at times when Rhiannon does or else I couldn't manage keeping up with both of them.  I also found that I slept more while pregnant with Rhiannon than I ever slept while pregnant with Elizabeth.

Sjm glad that both your babies are going well despite the scares.

afm Rhiannon is very much her own person, she indicates no by shaking her head, and can say yes, I think within the last day she has started saying no as well but I am not paying attention to that.  She loves her books and you get lead by the fingers to come and sit on the floor and she gets a book and then sits in you lap.  One day my mum read her over 2 hours worth of stories while I was out with Elizabeth.  Rhiannon will lead you to what ever she wants.  She is getting more assertive with Elizabeth, still screams when she doesn't get her own way but adores her big sister so will follow for a little while before doing her own thing.  I have a water and climbing baby here, I can't turn around without her either climbing as high as she can or finding her sitting down with water.  I am trying to be so careful but I never had either of these issues with Elizabeth.

My work decision is being reassessed by me as we have just had some issues with Elizabeth and I am back to wondering if I should stay home or go part time.  Elizabeth's 3 monthly pin prick blood test showed that she was running too high even though it seems like all we are doing is treating her hypos.  It could explain why her behaviour has seemed worse than normal but I don't know.

I have had some issues with the change over that happened with EB but it seems to be working now, I wasn't able to get on for about a week.  It was strange, I could log on on one computer but not the laptop and then I couldn't get on on either computer.  

Hope everyone stays well in the lead up to the really busy time of the year.

Sarah

#20 ~*Lou*~

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

HI ladies

Toby's operation to remove his dermoid cyst (lump between eyebrows) was this morning - all went well. Getting him up and to hospital by 6.30am, without food or drink, was not fun, but he did ok. First on the theatre list at 8am, and by 8.45am both anaesthetist and surgeon had been out to tell me it all went fine and he was in recovery, minutes later the nurse came to get me as he was waaing up - woke very grumpy and unhappy, basically cried for an hour, exactly like after the GA when he had his MRI back in July, so no surprise to me, but I did want him to quieten down to not disturb other patients! Anyway he eventually fell asleep in my arms for few mins and woke tiny bit cheerier, and we started offering food - 6 water crackers, fistful of sultanas and quarter of vegemite sandwich later, they said we could go - home by 11am!!! Panadol as needed, antiobiotics for 5 days, have nurse remove dressing in 10 days (dissolvable stitches) and see surgeon for post-op review in a month. Oddly the thing that got me most emotional, aside from holding him while they put him under the GA and having to leave him in theatre when he was out, was that they never even had to take his clothes off and put theatre gown on - he stayed in top and track pants whole time, and as aneasthetist explained to me, they wrapped him in a warm blanket for the procedure.

Claudia has nasty streaming head cold and cough so fortunately Mum has her for the day, couldn't go to child care.

Hope everyone else having slightly less exciting time!

Lou original.gif

#21 meljb

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

Lou - im so glad everything went well this morning. Hope the rest of his recovery is uneventful and all Toby's problems are resolved original.gif

we have Annabelle's hearing test booked for Wed, i'll post properly after that. Im not anticipating any problems.

#22 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Lou great news about Toby, hope that Claudia is better for you soon.

Good luck with Annabelle's hearing test Meljb

#23 sjm218

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Thought I would share some photos, from our recent photo session, I am thrilled with them.

Shy boy:

Brotherly love:

The family:

My little elf, love her tongue:

Lou - so glad Toby's surgery went well, it sounds like he was a little trooper.

Fiesty cat - I hope your work decision becomes easier. It is hard to make these decisions, and put yourself and your family first. I am sure you will make the best decision.

flying kiwi - I found pregnancy with a toddler exhausting. A newborn and toddler is sooooooo much easier, believe it or not. Be kind to yourself and try to get as much rest as possible.

meljb - good luck with the hearing test I hope it goes well.

AFM - we are starting to get into a pretty good routine. Charlie is definitely pushing his boundaries more and more, especially when I am breastfeeding. He has figured out I am pretty tied down then, so tends to play up. Thank goodness Amelia is a fast feeder - 8-10 minutes!!!

He is talking more and and more. Yesterday he got home and said:

Bye bye truck
Bye bye dogs

Walked in the house and said

Shoes (then took his shoes off)
pointed to his coat and said coat
pointed to the hats and said hat

Walked into the loungeroom and said Hi Mama

Walked into the kitchen and said Eat

Chatterbox here, he has really taken off in the last week, 2-3 words strung together now.

I have almost finished christmas shopping, we bought Charlie a little kitchen, he loves cooking / watching us cook, so we thought we would buy his own. I can't wait for him to see it.

I took out the double pram the other day. I bought a twin Maclaren and went to Walmart with my sister. Both babies were asleep in 10 minutes - I think it was a hit!!!!

#24 sjm218

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

Thought I would share some photos, from our recent photo session, I am thrilled with them.

Shy boy:

Brotherly love:

The family:

My little elf, love her tongue:

Lou - so glad Toby's surgery went well, it sounds like he was a little trooper.

Fiesty cat - I hope your work decision becomes easier. It is hard to make these decisions, and put yourself and your family first. I am sure you will make the best decision.

flying kiwi - I found pregnancy with a toddler exhausting. A newborn and toddler is sooooooo much easier, believe it or not. Be kind to yourself and try to get as much rest as possible.

meljb - good luck with the hearing test I hope it goes well.

AFM - we are starting to get into a pretty good routine. Charlie is definitely pushing his boundaries more and more, especially when I am breastfeeding. He has figured out I am pretty tied down then, so tends to play up. Thank goodness Amelia is a fast feeder - 8-10 minutes!!!

He is talking more and and more. Yesterday he got home and said:

Bye bye truck
Bye bye dogs

Walked in the house and said

Shoes (then took his shoes off)
pointed to his coat and said coat
pointed to the hats and said hat

Walked into the loungeroom and said Hi Mama

Walked into the kitchen and said Eat

Chatterbox here, he has really taken off in the last week, 2-3 words strung together now.

I have almost finished christmas shopping, we bought Charlie a little kitchen, he loves cooking / watching us cook, so we thought we would buy his own. I can't wait for him to see it.

I took out the double pram the other day. I bought a twin Maclaren and went to Walmart with my sister. Both babies were asleep in 10 minutes - I think it was a hit!!!!

#25 meljb

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

sjm - those photos are beautiful  wub.gif

we had Annabelle's hearing test today, and as expected her hearing is fine. So I am relieved but not surprised. Now we just have to wait until speech pathology contacts us with an appointment. Hopefulyl by then she'll be chattering away anyway, but im glad she's on the waiting list just in case she's not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.