January 07 Parents # 543

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
185 replies to this topic

#26 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

Now that would be one formidable couple!

#27 cheekymonkey

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:33 AM

Awwww, I'm loving seeing these pics. Does make me very clucky though!

Adam at less than a day old having his first (of many) cuddles with his biggest brother.

At his first birthday party. Poor darling had a sore under his left eye - a blister from sunburn. sad.gif

Age 2yr 3mth.

Age 3. Ready for his first day of skiing at Whistler, Canada.

Age 4, with Lucas on his first day of school and Rhiannon.

And I am so very slack. I really don't take enough pics of my kids. Not only that, but I rarely download them. I may have others in FB, but I can't access that from work. I'll have to try remember to look later.

ETA the rest of the pics. Will put a new post in as well so those who've already read past here get to see them (again).

Edited by cheekymonkey, 31 October 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#28 mokeydoke

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

I take too many photos of my kids, and put a lot of them onto facebook or email them away. It's like an insurance against my hardrive losing all of my photos, I would be devastated if that happened (but the thought of it isn't enough to actually, you know, back them up wink.gif ).

Peter's playing in a golf comp this weekend so I'm on my own again. I used the morning productively though and did the weekly shop ($220  rolleyes.gif ) and went for a run. I like how that sounds, but it doesn't accurately describe what I did - the bush walk shuffle. I didn't even have enough energy to jump over the logs, pretending I was a horse with the wind in my mane (does anyone else do that? laughing2.gif). I'm trying to run every day, in preparation for the Sussan fun run.

I have to mow the lawn this afternoon. The weather is bizarre. It's coldish and windy. I'm going to have a look at the forecast in a minute to see if it's going to get any better this week.

The kids are off to an animal park 1.5hours away (I think?) on Tuesday for a school excursion. I was worried about Kimbal, especially since they have said the kids can have $10 to spend in the souvenir shop and he is notoriously BAD at making decisions like which toy to get. We keep talking about it, trying to prepare him and he came up with getting the teacher to write down the names of the toys he wants but can't get so that he can get them for his birthday/Christmas but I still worry. I was thinking of just not giving them money, but that's hardly fair for Olivia, even with the promise of a present when they get home...I'm still thinking about this one. I'll prepare the teachers, but if he can't decide he will refuse to get on the bus and it will get very messy.

I'd love to see more photos, yours too Laura (on the other board).

Better go, lunch is done and cleaning up must begin

#29 donthavetv

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

Mandy, I'd be inclined to not talk about it, and not make a fuss, and let the teachers deal with it, they are after all trained to do it, and I'm sure they have seen it all before. If he's anxious, talking about it before hand would surely make him worse ?.

The only FB photos O have of Scarlett are from October 2007 onwards, as that is when I joined FB, I can't get into the old photobucket site so I'll have to get them off the portable hard drives, Ill do that soon.
I'm enjoying the pics so much.

Scarlett and Byron would make a good couple, I think he's the only one that could handle her, he's so patient and lovely with her. They hardly every fight.
Harry at school drives her crazy, he is a pedantic only child, so I'll have to cross those types out for the furture  roll2.gif

#30 donthavetv

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

Ok, so I have decided to do Scarlett's 4 years by her travels
here : 8 weeks (2 weeks in Queensland) Lying on the beach in Noosa

Here, 18 months ; Melbourne/Thredbo/Sydney/Queensland for one month.
in Brisbane's Toohey forest.

at 2 on a south pacific cruise

at nearly 3 in America

and now...

Just seemed appropriate to chronicle her life this way, it is the recurring theme of her short life, and it blows my mind.

#31 mesaana

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

My goodness Mel - look at all that hair now  biggrin.gif  !!!

#32 mamaknits

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

LOL Mel, look at how much she has grown. i know I have a Jan07 kid myself but it amazes me to see how much all the other kids have grown too. yes, I know, I don't make sense! Alex and Scarlett together would be a disaster. i think he is like Harry at her school Tounge1.gif

Mandy, I would be inclined to have a quiet word with the teacher about what *MAY* come up but leave it at that - the teachers at preschool appreciate teh warning so they can keep an eye on him. Often it is not needed, but they have said they prefer to know anyway. With situations like these, I tend to have a discussion with Alex if he feels like it (sometimes he initiates it) and then leave it and hope for the best. Usually the small chat seems to do the trick and there is no major issue after that. The little discussion just seems to help centre him and help him work things out in his head. That said, different child, different strategies, so you know what would work best with Kimbal.

#33 Mulan

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

Mandy it's highly probable he will just buy what the other kids are buying. I've seen it time and again on school excursions. One child is brave enough to be the first to make a purchase and then everyone ends up wanting the same thing. even more common with the anxious kids. The confident extroverts announce that their parents will take them back to get other things.

Loving the pics. With them together like that it's making me more clucky again

I'm hunting down a router to borrow. Ive been trying to find a coffee table to suit the lounge room and I don't want to spend a fortune, so I'm going to reshape the edges of an old coffee table we have that was used as a train table and doll house to sit on table. Then I'll just paint it. I'm going to restore an old mirror into a magnetic blackboard too. Something to get all the notes and bills off the front of the fridge. Probably cheaper to just buy both things at ikea but this way I get a newroject to work on.

#34 mokeydoke

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

Ooh interesting projects Mulan! I value home made/altered things so much more than store bought stuff. My stepdad is making me a hat rack for Christmas. I could buy one, but he's pretty handy with making stuff and he hasn't worked a lot since he got that cancer so he's happy to be doing something!

Yeh, I don't know what to say about Kimbal. I guess it's just one of those things you may need to see to believe wink.gif Imagine a 2 or 3 year old in a toy shop and that would probably give you the best idea of how he is, and in a wildlife toy shop! That's HIS thing. There's no way he's going to be able to decide. Now imagine a 2 or 3 year old being dragged out of the shop without everything they want, and imagine putting and keeping them on a bus. It's not going to be pretty.

#35 mokeydoke

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

She's had an amazing travelling life Mel! Gorgeous photos. Such a happy girl

#36 azalia

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Love seeing all the pics, my they have grown so much!! Scarletts travels blows my mind too! Even my kids who have had a few overseas trips blows my mind, I think they are so privlidged, my first trip was to Bali when I was 17 and paid for it myself!

Mandy - do you think his behaviour is different for you and Peter than other people? I would imagine he would put it on a lot more for you than teachers. But even if he does behave like a two year old, and does chuck a tantie, Im sure they have the skills to sort it out. My way would be a threat of 'fine you can stay behind in the wildlife shop' or 'if you behave like that you will not get anything'.  I do think you shouldnt draw attention to it, you know they say that kids are like dogs, they can sense fear. I can 'hear' the fear in your typed post, and while I do understand your worry, I imagine that is being passed onto Kimbal, and almost giving him allowance to behave like that because you sort of expect it.  Think positive, perhaps he will be fine, and if not they will deal with it. If he is fine great, praise him:)

Sam - thanks for that, Ill try to get in and look, I really only post in this group still and not the other one.

Lovely day down at the river today, beautiful weather. Im knackered though, too exhausted to do anything, but I have editing to at least start sorting, as I need to clear my cards for another session tomorrow. Dh is supposed to be on a flight tomorrow. I will believe it when I see him at the airport.  wink.gif

#37 thebell

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

#38 thebell

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

And since I'm in photobucket:

with Annabell

with Adam

with Byron and Poppy

#39 cheekymonkey

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

How about that. I had the 2 missing ages of pics in fb. So I have actually uploaded pics of AJ at every year of his life thus far. That makes me feel better. So here is:

Age 2yr 3mth.

Age 4yr, with Lucas (first day at big school) and Rhiannon.

And I put them in the original pics post I made. Just thought I'd put them here too so those who've read past there don't have to go back. wink.gif  Being bugged by AJ to play the triplezero website so better let him have his turn (the other boys have had their computer time this arvo so is only fair).

#40 cuddlymumof4

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

I will have to come back & add Lateesha's pics soon.

Am loving looking at them all though. Can't believe they are all about to start school.

Anna

Edited by cuddlymumof4, 02 November 2011 - 12:15 PM.

#41 cuddlymumof4

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

Lateesha a couple of days old

day before 1st Birthday

2nd Birthday

3rd Birthday

4th Birthday

#42 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

Gosh, Lateesha hasn't changed a bit, has she?  Always gorgeous!

#43 lissiloo

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

Hi everyone

I'll come back later and post properly, but just wanted to remind everyone in the Secret Santa to make sure you go over to our proboards site and post your likes and dislikes. I have sent reminders through FB too. If you are having problems accessing the Proboards site, you can send your likes/dislikes to me and I will post for you.

Cheers
Lissiloo

#44 mesaana

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

Alinta and other people with science obsessed kids - check this site out:  here .  

I love the meat eating plants kit ... but unfortunately wouldn't be able to bring it into the country with the seeds...

#45 mesaana

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

Celia:

Construction t-shirt

#46 azalia

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for that link Messana, I really like the star projector and a few other things, especially bug wise, Byron is bug mad atm, the amount of slaters and things he keeps bringing in the house rolleyes.gif

#47 codex

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

Well, bugs are very cool.

#48 Mulan

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

Great site thanks Laura. I've done my Christmas shopping.

Codex how are you? Update please

Jill I'm thinking the same is needed from you. I've been thinking a lot about you lately.

Alinta is G home yet? Did he like the house?

Celia how is Chris?

Janet what about you?

Anna how have you been? Have you had your follow up?

Ange I love seeing how much Adam has grown but oh my gosh R has grown and changed so much too.

#49 lissiloo

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Hi everyone

Been busy busy busy here -- anyone else feel like the year is accelerating? I think we have something on every weekend now til Christmas  ohmy.gif

So today at least was a day with nothing on, slept in (well, I got up first for 1.5 hrs and then went back to bed when DH got up), faffed around for much of the day. Yesterday we had a super busy day with friends and their kids over for lunch and an afternoon of hanging out in the garden with us, plus running Poppy to and from a party, and then once our guests left went to my parents' house for dinner as my Dad's birthday is this week and he is going to be away. It was a gorgeous day yesterday, 30C and really felt like summer was coming. Today, well it's been a bit cooler and muggy/drizzling. Typical Melbourne!

Oh, went to see the movie "I don't know how she does it" on Friday night too, it was a fundraiser for Poppy's kinder. Quite a fun movie, and certainly some things that we'll all recognize as mums. I read the book it was based on and while they changed quite a bit of it (things like setting etc), I think they did a good job. So if you're looking for a film to see with some mum-friends, it's a good choice. And man, I don't know how Sarah Jessica Parker manages to run in those heels she wears but she's darn good at it!

Had some really sad news this weekend, my cousin lost her baby at 19 weeks and had to deliver it today. It was a little girl (she has 2 boys already), apparently got tangled up in the cord. My heart is breaking for them, my cousin has difficult pregnancies anyway with both her boys born at 31 weeks. I hope she goes back for another go.

Poppy had her first day doing transition to prep last week, had a great time. She wore her (Ella's) school dress ALL day, so proud of herself! She has 3 more sessions, one each week. Ella's got her school concert this week -- the whole school has been working with a circus school and they put on their show on Wednesday. Hopefully Ella will do OK as she hates performing, but she's getting better at it. As for Jack, "he's so cute at the moment. Today he came out with his second "sentence" -- "Got you!" He was playing chasey with Poppy. He's adding new words daily now and understands so much.

Anyway, that's all from me for now. Talk to you all soon!

Cheers
Lissiloo

#50 codex

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

I'm fine, thanks Mulan.  Nothing really to report, I had a lower back spasm on Friday and haven't been able to sit for any length of time since then so I can't type long.  Work is still yuck, but it brings in the money.  I've had a couple of other job offers but nothing as stable, flexible or well paying as this one so I'll suck it up.
The kids are wonderful, to a point, and life is just getting easier with them as they grow older.

I promise to update better on the other forum when I can, censored updates are difficult  laugh.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.