Please help! Is there a numbing cream that can be used on nipples? In sooo much pain!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 biene_maja

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

I've got nipple trush and I'm doing everything to treat it. Vinegar baths, changing pads, Daktarin for me & bubs & Diflucan. The pain while feeding is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad right now. I was wondering if there is a numbing cream I can get over the counter that's safe while bfing (even if I have to wipe it off before feeding)???

And how long does the pain last before things get better???

#2 biene_maja

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

Oh, I can't use nipple shields just in case someone thinks of those.

#3 greenthumbs

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

God that sounds awful!

Have you tried hydragel pads - I think that's what they're called anyway. Not sure if they'd help with thrush pain, but I used them for cracks and blisters and so on. Get them at the supermarket and stick in the fridge. Lovely and cool.

#4 mrs maple

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

sorry to hear that. never heard of someone else to have it but me (6y ago).

i had to stop BF at 7weeks, i thought im losing my mind... PND too and with this i felt suicidal. they couldnt give me anything, the shields wont work, the GP said keep on doing it it will pass.

not for me sad.gif
i hope someone will have more information and you will find some help. good luck, i feel for you

#5 biene_maja

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

I just took two panadeine that I had left over from my c/s. Funny... I left hospital only 2 days after c/s and barely needed any painkillers but nipple trush causes enough pain to need them now.

My LC told me the gel pads can actually cause trush because they keep the nipples moist all the time which helps it to grow.

#6 hmmph

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Once I was on diflucan, it started to get better. I also made sure I washed towels daily in hot water, and made sure my nipples were dry. I even sat in the backyard with my boobs out on sunny days so they could get some sun! I don't think the neighbours saw, but I really didn't care at that point! Hope you heal soon.

#7 Pooks Combusted

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

ohhh sweetie i hope the painkillers help! thrush is just the most horrible thing, you have my sympathy. i was about to suggest painkillers might be the way to go, while you wait for the other treatments to work, but i see you're using them. keep yourself nice and dry and let some air in when you can. did you say you took a tablet to kill the thrush? sometimes they take a couple of days to work. GL.

#8 Sasha Jensen

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

You should be able to buy lignocaine gel over the counter. I'm sure it's fine as long as you don't let your baby's mouth come into contact with it, but I am no pharmacist.

#9 namie

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

A friend of mine was told to take Inner Health Plus capsules until the thrush was gone, perhaps this could help you too? I think she 'only' had thrush for a week or two.

I second a PP who suggested going bra- and top-less as much as possible, but I don't know how much that will help with the internal pain of thrush?

Wishing you well, b_m!

#10 Fluster

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (hmmph @ 28/10/2011, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I even sat in the backyard with my boobs out on sunny days so they could get some sun! I don't think the neighbours saw, but I really didn't care at that point!

Well, if the men of the neighbourhood ever run a 'favourite neighbour' vote and you win, you'll know they saw you happy.gif

OP, I have no advice but my commiserations. It sounds like a bloody nightmre.

#11 Golfing widow

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (greenthumbs @ 28/10/2011, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried hydragel pads - I think that's what they're called anyway. Not sure if they'd help with thrush pain, but I used them for cracks and blisters and so on. Get them at the supermarket and stick in the fridge. Lovely and cool.

These were my godsend! they are brilliant!

#12 Amberlina21

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Appologies if my assumption than vaginal thrush is the same kind of thrush your nipples have.

I know this is going in a different direction, but have you thought about a homeopathic remedy?
My mum studied/used homeopathics, personally I'm a fan off combining it and western medicine, but, in the early days of my pregnancy when I wasn't sure if I could use normal thrush creams, my mum gave me a homeopathic remedy.
It made a massive difference within hrs and cleared it up within 2 days.
Also really cold yogurt on your nipples? Another thought, that inner health plus stuff is supposed to be good for clearing up thrush?

I really hope you get some releif, it sounds positively horrid!

#13 rachb81

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:48 PM

Mine lasted about 2 weeks & was using the same as you (cream & drops). I was told by 2 pharmacists there is nothing you can use to numb the area & you just have to put up with it. I found biting down on something when latching on & during the initial stages of feeding very helpful!!! Sounds stupid but it was either that or my hand around my DS would get tighter with the pain.

Good luck, it will get better.

#14 mummaorange

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:56 PM

Oh you poor thing! It's awful isn't it! I had it about 20 months ago!

Now things you need to know are

boobs not covered unless they need to be... At home i was topless.

Sunlight does wonders! I did 10 mins ever hour!

Apply daktarin and or nilstat as regularly as possible

wash your breasts in cool soapy water after a feed THEN apply gel

And diflucan tablets are excellent BUT you need atleast a 10 day treatment which unless you get prescribed through a hospital is VERY expensive... I'm pretty sure it's $11 just for 2 at the chemist... You will need 2 daily for 10 days minimum

Oh and for the pain I would ice my breasts before feeds :0)
Goodluck and pm me if I can help

#15 lucky 2

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

I'd say you may need to see a Dr who is experienced in thrush in lactation, I know you are in Melb so send me a pm if you would like the name of a GP who is also a LC, but I think you may know of this Dr already (ie when you had bfing problems last time), this Dr has been involved in research on thrush and bfing.
There are other antifungal preparations to put on your nipples, perhaps talk to the pharmacist about using a cream with miconazole instead of the daktarin?
Take a look at the RWH link below and it covers all possible treatments, including Gential Violet.
Take painkillers but avoid putting lignocaine on your nipples, try to treat the cause.I hope you feel better soon.
http://www.thewomens.org.au/Breastandnipplethrush
http://www.thewomens.org.au/ThrushinLactation
http://www.thewomens.org.au/GentianVioletforNippleThrush

#16 mrs maple

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

where were you girls 6y ago?...i had nothing to do but give up eventually sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.