Give me twists! (book recommendations please!)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 antiskeptic87

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm after some book recommendations! It seems my favourites are ones with twists in them, or with "Ooooooh...I get it now!" moments.

Recently read My Sister's Keeper and loved it.. and my all-time favourite is Jessica by Bryce Courtenay. Not really a fan of murder mysteries, horror or Sci fi.

So hit me with recommendations!

Which book/s blew you away?

#2 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

Most of Jodi Picoults other books have twists in them.

#3 antiskeptic87

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Rainbow original.gif
I've heard that elsewhere too, so I'm currently reading 'The Pact' - very intriguing so far!

#4 Kya

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

"Before I Go to Sleep" by SJ Watson. I could not put it down. It is a psychological thriller and has some amazing plot twists.

#5 petalpotamus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Kya @ 02/11/2011, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Before I Go to Sleep" by SJ Watson. I could not put it down. It is a psychological thriller and has some amazing plot twists.

i just stayed up till 2am to fnish that.  totally agree, it's a fantastic book.

#6 Mose

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Another vote for "Before I go to Sleep".

In a similar genre "Sister" by Rosamund Lupton.  Just as page-turning as "Before I go to Sleep".

Will definitely be stalking this thread for other ideas!

#7 nellista

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters.

There is is BBC (I think) adaptation of this which is really good too.

#8 Lyra

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

The best plot twist ever was in 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks. However, it really is not a book for the faint hearted LOL

#9 s-m

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

x

Edited by s-m, 17 August 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#10 ducks-on-the-dam

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

John Grisham  'The Partner'.

Charles Dickens ' Great Expectations'.

#11 mokeydoke

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

Lionel Shriver - we need to talk about Kevin.

First twist is the author is female wink.gif

#12 Just green apples

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

'A Fraction of the Whole' by Steve Toltz. Absolutely amazing. Oh and has a good handful of twists.

#13 ~iMum~

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

I've not long finished reading Sarah's Key (awesome!) and The Help (great).

Also, have you read any of Judy Nunn's books?

#14 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

oops! wrong bookthread!

Edited by Writing With Cats, 13 November 2011 - 08:32 AM.

#15 ~Nic~

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Resurrecting an old thread (Thanks OP wink.gif)...

Like the OP, I am after books that have a twist in them... I want something that I will get completley sucked into and don't want to put down and have that moment where everything you thought was going to happen gets turned around and you wind up with the opposite to what you were expecting. I know Jodi Piccoult's name gets mentioned a lot, but I'm not a huge fan  - I did really like Plain Truth and Second Glance but haven't been fussed on most of her other ones and outright hated some of them (I think The Pact is still behind the lounge... I hated it about as much as I hated 50 Shades of Sh*t and tossed it. Lone Wolf and Sing you Home got given back to the friend who loaned them to me before I was half way through either of them). I used to really love Stephen King, but after Insomnia, I kind of lost interest...

I am trying to get my hands on a copy of Before I Go To Sleep as mentioned by a couple of PP's above, but as there are hardly any actual bookshops around here, it's a bit tricky (I found it on the Book Depository, but was hoping to get a copy before I go away early next week). So, any other suggestions? To be honest, I normally read a lot of chick lit (Marian Keyes / Jane Green / Jill Mansell / Sheila O'Flanagan etc) but I really feel like something a bit more substantial at the moment.

Any suggestions?

#16 skylark

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Gone Girl is one that I reckon you would love. huge twist, well written. Generally awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Girl-Novel-Gill...n/dp/030758836X

#17 sad small umbrella

Gone Girl is getting lots of recommendations--I haven't read it because I am all WUT?  YOU WANT HOW MUCH FOR THE EBOOK?

Fingersmith is fantastic.  Jodi Picoult sucks.  You'd have to be brain dead not to figure out her 'twists'.

#18 CallMeFeral

Any short stories by Roald Dahl (yes he does write adult books). His short stories have amazing twists. And while I'm at it, Theodore Sturgeon and Isaac Asimov.
Yes I guess you weren't after short stories, but you really can't beat the above for twists.

#19 paod

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Love a good twist so will be watching

#20 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 15/11/2012, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any short stories by Roald Dahl (yes he does write adult books).

Agree. Switch b**ch is one of my all time faves, the twist at the end of the Visitor is one hell of a twist!

#21 two_ones

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 15/11/2012, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any short stories by Roald Dahl (yes he does write adult books). His short stories have amazing twists. And while I'm at it, Theodore Sturgeon and Isaac Asimov.
Yes I guess you weren't after short stories, but you really can't beat the above for twists.

+1 for Roald Dahl..."Tales of the Unexpected".

Adding lots of these suggestions to my Kindle Wishlist!

#22 FiveAus

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

My very, very favourite book "with a twist" is Jeffrey Archers Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less.

#23 Feral Becky

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Great rec's guys.

I would say anything by Jo Nesbo.

#24 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Nicholas Sparks the author??

Some of his books have twists I guess you could say. Or endings you didn't exactly see coming.

Although this one doesn't have a massive twist at the end, Safe Haven is quite the page turner. I read it when DD was a newborn and even when I put her down to sleep during the night I had to keep reading. It is being made into a movie coming out next year. You can watch the clip on youtube if you are interested. It does have a few twists and surprises along the way.

I am off to buy Before I go to sleep. That sounds interesting

Edited by I*Love*Christmas, 15 November 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#25 TinyTeddys

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (skylark @ 15/11/2012, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gone Girl is one that I reckon you would love. huge twist, well written. Generally awesome.

Another coming in to recommend Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.