What are you reading ATM #14

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
155 replies to this topic

#51 mamacantik

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

Aria: I  LOVED Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Such a beautiful book. Been disappointed to read that reviews for the film aren't that great.

I have recently finished 'The Corrections' by Jonathan Franzen. Enjoyed it, but liked some sections much better than others.

Now in for the long haul over the Christmas hols with the 900+ pages of IQ84 by Haruki Murakami. I am a huge fan, so very excited and expecting to enjoy it. I am about 80 pages in and so far so good - only problem I'm having is actually holding it upright in bed. First time EVER I've thought a kindle might be nice ;-).

Hope everyone has some lovely Christmas reading time ahead!

#52 Molondy

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

Now in for the long haul over the Christmas hols with the 900+ pages of IQ84 by Haruki Murakami.

mamacantik - is it  1 & 2 or 3 that you are reading? I've been meaing to download it but am a bit chicken...

I finished the Magicians and RPM today and am planning on reading EITHER: The Children's Book by AS Byatt, Autum Laing by Alex Miller or A Common Loss by Kirsten Tranter. Have yet to decide but they are all ready and waiting on my ereader.....

#53 Tomate1910

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

Reading the children's book atm and love it. Very good stories and i love how it is intertwined. She has a great writing style.

Will be moving on to the the new murakami afterwards but getting it for the kindle. No way I am carrying around the doorstopper. I am ahuge fan too and wanted to start at a time where I could read for hours on end.. Bring it on...

Molondy how was magicians?

#54 unicorn

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Look Me In The Eye, loving it.

#55 Sassenach2

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

I am on the last book of the trilogy - "The Bronze Horseman", "Tatiana and Alexander" "The Summer Garden". I find I like the way Paullina Simons writes and I think I will stay with her books for a while, as she has written quite a few, which are on e books at Amazon.

#56 Ianthe

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

I am reading another Jill Mansell-To The Moon and Back.

#57 TeachmeMum

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Just finished "The Gift" by Cecilia Ahern

Now I'm reading 'One Summer' by David Baldacci

#58 pollyputthekettleon

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

I've just finished 'The Sense of an Ending' and am about to start 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm also reading Mindy Kaling's book 'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?', which is good fun biggrin.gif

#59 Ianthe

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson and again thank you to blondiebear for the recommendation!

#60 mamacantik

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Molondy, I borrowed a book from the library that has all 3 books in it (each one is about 300 pages). I am almost finished book 1. I am enjoying it...but it's far from my fave Murakami so far sad.gif.

Just picked up The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides from library reserve too. DH is on hols this week, so I am hoping to have some quality reading time to finish the Murakami and get started on this.

Also, my sister gave me 'Chi Running' for Christmas. Looking forward to dipping into that. NY resolution is to ramp up my running regime  original.gif

#61 Molondy

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

Reading the children's book atm and love it. Very good stories and i love how it is intertwined. She has a great writing style

I'm about a third of the way through this as well. Its terrific - so engaging with so many interesting and challenging characters. Its very tantalising too....

Molondy how was magicians?

superfruity - it was good. A bit up and down but I'm looking forward to reading the second one. Its up for $15.99 on the Borders online site but I'm going to wait a while. The book has its challenges but definately worth a read....

#62 meljbau

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

I'm reading The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund De Waal

#63 loubee

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

I am finally out of my reading funk. Finished Before I Go To Sleep which lived up to the hype I'm pleased to say. Now reading The Art of Fielding, Chad Harbach which I am loving.

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 21/12/2011, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Juliet Naked by Nick Hornby

let us know how you enjoy this, I have it ready to go on the kindle but keep choosing other novels.

QUOTE (mamacantik @ 01/01/2012, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Molondy, I borrowed a book from the library that has all 3 books in it (each one is about 300 pages). I am almost finished book 1. I am enjoying it...but it's far from my fave Murakami so far sad.gif.

Just picked up The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides from library reserve too.

Bummer about 1Q84, have been saving it for summer holidays but might fit another in before I start this. Will be interested to hear how you enjoy The Marriage Plot. Oh, and the Kindle is the greatest thing for my reading ever, keep an open mind  original.gif. Come back and join is in the running thread.

Sam how did you enjoy The Children's Book? It was my favorite book in 2010.

#64 Tomate1910

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

I was also looking forward to the new murakami but found they are two kinds of MUrakami fans... the ones that like NOrwegian wood and those that don't... I found that those who like it also like the other slower (and more depressing) books like south of the border... those who dont like norwegian wood are more into the kooky stuff like wind up bird or kafka... I need my talking cat or sitting at the bottom of a well for a murakami book to be good... Molondy & loubee what is your fave murakami book? mine is hardboiled wonderland...
so I'm wondering is 1q84 kooky or depressing???

hehe halfway through the children's book and I let myself get distracted...

I just started reading an incredible book last night on the guy who found a "cure" for puerperal fever (childbed fever) i.e. washing your hands before doing internal examinations... It is crazy to think that they never bothered washing their hands... in some hospitals in Vienna medical students would go straight from dissecting bodies to examining women in labour without washing their hands... the book is called The Doctor's Plague

I am a bit of a nut for medical stuff and really like books on medical history.. I have also read a book about Henrietta Lacks whose cervical cancer cells are "immortal" and have helped to develop vaccines for polio and in research of heaps of other diseases...

and I have just bought a book on lemons and scurvey... I know I'm weird  unsure.gif

#65 1plus3

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

kill me if you can
james patterson

#66 RealityBites

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Just finished Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, which was brilliant.

Now reading Tim Bonyhady's family memoir Good Living Street, which is interesting but a bit slooooow.

#67 Sassenach2

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

I am on the last book of "The Bronze Horseman" trilogy. The other two are: "Tatiana and Alexander" and "The Summer Garden" which I have nearly finished. This is a great trilogy and very interesting regarding the displaced persons during the Second World War. I will have to start looking for something else and I would like something in the "Russian" vein, but I prefer to read about the peasants and not the upper crust, so "Anna Karenina" is out. sad.gif

#68 mamacantik

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Superfruity, I like most Murakami, but definitely more of a fan of the kooky - though I wasn't that thrilled by Kafka on the Shore. Like you, my fave is Hardboiled Wonderland (with A Wild Sheep Chase and Wind Up Bird Chronicle as equal second favourites). IQ84 is definitely kooky and the story is intriguing, the great bits are great ..... BUT......

Hhhmm, I don't really want to go on there until some others have read it too - I hate to read reviews of a book until I've read it myself so won't offer mine here in case of spoiling the book for other Murakami fans  wink.gif wink.gif  

Instead, I'll look forward to a discussion about it later on when others have read it too (and hey, I'm only half way through, so might be removing my 'BUT' before I finish!).

Loubee, definitely will drop by the Running Thread. Thanks for the reminder!  biggrin.gif

#69 loubee

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Superfruity my favorite Murakami is 'What I talk about when I talk about running' but that's because I love to run biggrin.gif, followed by Sputnik Sweetheart. Im relatively new to him and haven't got to the kookier books yet, will do 1Q84 then Wind Up. I suspect I'll prefer the kookier, NW was very depressing.

#70 Ianthe

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (loubee @ 02/01/2012, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
let us know how you enjoy this, I have it ready to go on the kindle but keep choosing other novels.

Juliet Naked was ok-not his best but I always enjoy his books. I felt it dragged a little.

I have just finished Strip Jack by Ian Rankin and I'm not reading Indelible Ink by Fiona McGregor. It is set in Sydney and I am enjoying her descriptions of it.

#71 ~*Debbie*~

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

I just finished reading Destined, it's the 9th book in the House of Night Novel.

#72 Party of 5

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm reading one that my best friend gave me to read it's called A Friend Like Henry. Like Nuala Gard she has two children with autism.

#73 Molondy

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Sam how did you enjoy The Children's Book? It was my favorite book in 2010.

I'm loving it so far. I'm about 3/4 of the way through and really revelling in every element.

what is your fave murakami book? mine is hardboiled wonderland...

Well I've only read NW, What i talk about and Kafka and so far I think I enjoyed WITAWITAR but then I love running too! I enjoyed the other two but probably preferred Kafka because NW was so sad and a touch "what's all the fuss about". I have borrowed a Wild Sheep Chase from the library twice and gotten no = where but may try it again...

#74 OscarAndTilly

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

i just finished 'Room' by Emma Donaghue

#75 hmmm...

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

halfway through scarecrow and the army of thieves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.