Any older mums pregnant and want to share the ride?
Looking for buddy group mums that are in first trimester.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 ka7

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:32 AM

Hi everyone
Well busy, busy here - had my 12wk scans and bloods which came back with a 1:17 risk of Downs so, off to Perth for an amnio.   Thank goodness for the fast track results which came back as normal the next day.  This was my 3rd amnio out of 4 pregnancies, they do not get any easier.  
Feeling really good at the moment, over the tiredness and no where near as 'off' feeling as the last few months so hoping I  am at the end of 'all day' sickness.  
Hope everyone else is going well.    biggrin.gif

#27 krissy73

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hi there Im interested in saying hi also, Im 38 1/2 and am 8 weeks pregnant with no 3.  I have DD3 and DS1 and the morning sickness has kicked in as it has with all the others, although maybe I dont have time to deal with it like the last two times cause it doesnt seem as bad.  Fingers crossed it will disappear around 20 weeks like it has before.  happy.gif

#28 Hairy Maclary

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hi all, count me in too original.gif
Got a surprise bfp last night.  Am currently 38 and will be 6 weeks on Thurs.
Will read up tonight, as dd2 has just woken
original.gif

#29 MrsWidget

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Wow great to see so many pg older mums. I'm now just over 12 weeks. I have an amnio booked in 3 weeks time. It will be my 3rd. I'm naturally anxious but am feeling very positive that everything is fine.

I'm on my iPhone so will do personals after.

#30 Bibendum

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

Welcome to all the new folks :-)

QUOTE (ka7 @ 29/11/2011, 01:32 AM)
14024518[/url]']
Hi everyone
Well busy, busy here - had my 12wk scans and bloods which came back with a 1:17 risk of Downs so, off to Perth for an amnio.   Thank goodness for the fast track results which came back as normal the next day.  This was my 3rd amnio out of 4 pregnancies, they do not get any easier.  
Feeling really good at the moment, over the tiredness and no where near as 'off' feeling as the last few months so hoping I  am at the end of 'all day' sickness.  
Hope everyone else is going well.    biggrin.gif

That's fantastic news!

#31 Feral2202

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hi Ladies,

I'm 38 (39 in February) and have just found out that I am pregnant with my second child, due in early August.

My daughter is 10 months old so I'll be looking at about an 18 months gap (I must be crazy!).

Looking forward to chatting with some other older mums, I'll be hanging out for an early scan in a few weeks because I have had a blighted ovum in the past and can't wait for the 12 week scan to see our little peanut.

Donna

#32 bronzzeAngel

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hi all

just wanted to pop in as even though I am not currently pregnant, my son is 12 weeks old. I had him 6 days after my 46th birthday

I have 4 children in total now and the eldest is 15. I started late having kids anyway.

Of all my pregnancies my issues was for low iron. I never even suffered morning sickness  and had no issues giving birth or any other problems relating to being old.

I have also been back at the gym for the last 4 weeks getting back into shape.

Good luck everyone and I wanted to show you that many who "worried" about me being so old, realised I never had a problem and it was good to get them to shut up about me being so "old"

#33 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

Hi all, I am about 10 weeks, and bub will be due when I'm 40.

I have 6 & 8 dd's, so a big gap. I'm glad I found this thread, as I have been stressing alot this time....

I'm feeling better reading some posts. Anyone else have a big gap??

#34 LucidDream

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:59 AM

Hi, I'm 41 and am about 5w with baby number 3.  I have 2 DSs (nearly 5 and nearly 2).  I work full time, but am doing okay with the tiredness.  Actually I have been awake since 3am, and can't get back to sleep, so by tonight I will undoubtedly be zonked!  Anyway, I am really looking forward to having baby #3.  Sleep is overrated!

It's nice to read all your stories.  Wishing everyone a good pregnancy with a lovely baby to cuddle at the end!

#35 Kemma

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

Hi everyone

Hope you're all feeling stress free and well.
After a rough week or so everything is going well now but I forgot how paranoid I can feel when pg.
I'm constantly worrying something is wrong and trying to think of ways to chill out!
I've got an OB appt on 14/12 so hoping that is reassuring enough to last me over Christmas wink.gif

I'm 15 weeks on Sunday & it's def getting harder and harder to get up in the morning! But apart from tiredness and lethargy I don't have a huge amount of symptoms now. My lower back is pretty sore by bedtime but that's all really.

As part of the testing we had done we found out we're having another baby girl! We're so thrilled & I hope DD1 loves having her as much as I think she will.

I'm typing from my phone so can't do any personals at the minute but suffice to day I hope everything is going smoothly!
Kym

#36 Klinkalink

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hi everyone, I'd love to join your group  original.gif

I'm 39 and 21 weeks with baby No. 2 (will be 40 when baby is born). It's been a long road for us, having had 2 ectopics, 5 miscarriages, a bout of ovarian cancer and 13 IVF cycles. Our DS was born juist over 2 years ago (IVF) and this was our last attempt. We live in the NE suburbs of Adelaide, and will be delivering sometime in April (due 19 Apr) at Northeast Community.

My pregnancy with DS was nice and smooth, but this one has been up and down. My thyroid has packed it in, adding to the exhaustion, and I feel like I'm on the wrong side of 70. 19 weeks to go and I can't wait!!

I hope everyone's pregnancy goes really smoothly, and that we 'ladies of advanced yearage' as the midwives in my first prenatal class called us, stay happy and healthy.

#37 Bibendum

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hey folks - long gap in posting as not much has been happening around here - but we did have a follow-up scan yesterday, since the ultrasound tech had been so unhappy my GP sent me for the very early one .  Result: just on seven weeks yesterday, which is right based on when I think we conceived, and strong heartbeat, so we're thrilled.  :-)

We told my husband's parents last night - with a little trepidation, particularly unsure how his mother might react (she has a well-suppressed, but still visible, negative reaction to her son having gotten together with someone who is divorced and has a child, so we weren't completely confident of her reaction; we expected his dad to be pleased).  But both of them were over-the-moon ecstatic - his dad could hardly string intelligible sentences together - it was really cute.   Tonight he'll call his brother (everyone in his family is overseas), and that'll complete the family rounds (I was a foster kid, and my main foster family were elderly and passed away a long time ago, so no one for me to notify).  

I'm getting a little more confident that this is really going to happen, but still very anxious.  I'm realizing that, while it's great to have the sort of support and information that's available online, the net also hyper-concentrates examples of situations where things have gone wrong, so I'm just much more aware of possible problems than I was in my first pregnancy...

Welcome to all the new folks, and thank you bronzzeAngel - now if I can just get that inner voice to shut up about my being old :-)

#38 little bird

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

hello ladies, i'd love to join in the chat!

i turned 38 in september and am now 4.5 weeks pregnant with #2.

daughter is now 16, nearly 17 so the gap between the two is huge!

everything seems to be going ok at the moment, but i'm really looking forward to finding out the little nugget is healthy, strong and *fingers crossed* staying where it's meant to be.

good luck on your journey!

#39 Jadey73

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hi ladies, I would love to join in too!

I'm about 4.5 weeks pg with bub #2 and due mid to late August. I turn 39 in less than a month and am hoping all goes well with this pg.

I just wanted to wish everyone all the best with their pregnancies  original.gif

#40 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

hi,

I had my 12w scan yesterday, but I'm actually only 11 weeks!

I have to go back after new years. I feel like I get an extra week of morning sickness now!

it was good to see a heartbeat. but we were hoping christmas day would be 12 weeks. we are thinking we will still tell everyone though...

hope everyone has a nice christmas.

#41 Catirving

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'm 42 - about 6 weeks with my first pregnancy, and after 7 years of trying, I had actually given up and was looking at a future without children, so this is a pleasant surprise and somewhat of a shock. The due date calculators tell me Sept 4th.

I did a home test on Monday 3rd Jan - two blue lines. Did another - still blue lines. Saw my GP the next day and she was filled with such doom and gloom about Downs and M/C that it kind of took the initial joy out of it, but I understand her caution. I have done the blood test and called the GP for results - they said she would ring me back because the urine test and iron had "discuss" written next to it - now, I know I'm low in iron, but since the GP failed to call me on Friday, I have been freaking out all weekend about that the urine test may have revealed. I know it isn't anything terrible; as the nurse said, she would have called me straight away if that was so, but this being my first time, I don't even know what they are looking for.

Dying for the next six weeks to pass in a rush so I can be a bit more confident of it sticking, and a nucal test and amnio will relieve my anxiety a great deal. I just to get on with it!

#42 zaza5

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi Catirving - I was 39 when pg with the first and was utterly worried the entire time particularly during the first few months.  This was due to my age which I now know was ridiculous.  But in the beginning the thought that kept me going was that I was pregnant and therefore it was possible.  Nothing would change the fact that I did fall pregnant.  I can tell you from other medical experiences that if there is something seriously wrong then immediate action is taken.  You are not waiting for phone calls.

Hope all goes well for you - Congratulations  biggrin.gif

#43 Catirving

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks, zaza5. Did eventually get the call and all is well, just a little low in iron, not enough for suppliments, and the urine test was contaminated, so I need to do another, but nothing sinister.

I feel good, just slightly "off" of normal. After trying to get duffed for so long, we had our fertility checked out - I was fine but my partner had low motility sperm, the doctor gave him a zero chance of us conceiving naturally, so now that we have, it is even more surprising, given our ages! He's 44. We decided we couldn't afford IVF and had seen how it had affected some friends, so it was ruled out. We are joking that this is a Christmas miracle!

#44 PlasticineAlly

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hi all,

I'm 39 & pg with my first, will be 40 when bubs is due.

It's been a pretty stressful time so, I'm finding most Docs are all doom & gloom regarding the possible risks associated with an older mum, sure, we need to be aware, but to focus exclusively on the possible bad outcomes and ignore the fact that most likely the outcomes will be good is pretty pessimistic.

I was even given a 1:2 chance of T21 & 1:36 of T18 3 weeks ago. Finally had amnio on Monday & got my FISH results yesterday and there are no chromosomal problems, thank goodness.

There are some placental issues which will need careful management, I see the Obstetrician about those next week. Then I can finally relax and enjoy the ride!

Here's wishing everyone the very best for this exciting journey!

#45 ~ky~

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:28 AM

I just wanted to pop in and say that I hope all is going well with each and every one of your pregnancies ... I'm at the pointy end now, 42yo and having my 4th caesar on tuesday.

The only complications I have had this pregnancy have had nothing to do with my age, rather to do with the fact that I'm a type 1 diabetic! My previous sucessful pregnancy was my best ever at 38yo, so age doesn't have to be a huge issue.

Take care and I'll be lurking to see how everyone progresses and looking for excited birth stories!

#46 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

I'm now 14weeks, and all went ok with mys scan. But just as I was getting over the morning sickness, I got appendicitis!

I had it out a week ago, and have been struggling a bit with the pain,as I'm just on panadol. I don't want to take anything stronger.

It is getting better though. Baby is fine at this stage, but I do wonder what the long term effects will be. It also brings back memories of my cs. I will be having one this time too....

Sometimes I wonder about my decision to go back for a third.... It's been a bit stressful.

#47 YeOldeMumma

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hi Lovely Ladies, I am not pregnant but wanted to share the fact that I had two children in my 40's who are now aged 4 and 9. I  have gorgeous kids (no bias here!) and while both were conceived naturally, the last one was definitely a shock to the system as I was 46 and thinking my body changes were due to peri-menopause.  

I'm sorry for those who have negative, nay-saying doctors - I'd look for a more supportive practitioner if it were me. My Ob/Gyn treated my pregnancy as normal, and told me from the outset that unless I  had any adverse health symptoms, then there was no reason to treat me any differently to younger patients. He quietly kept an eye on me for any problems, but he never passed any of that anxiety on to me. While I had a lot of morning sickness with both pregnancies, they progressed quite normally and each of the labours took less than an hour from the onset of contractions.  Not bad for an old chook!  

I know it's important to be aware of risks and potential health problems (as anyone should be, regardless of age), but once that 'talk' is over you have every right to a doctor who helps you feel good and positive for the remainder of your pregnancy. My doctor was very experienced (nearing retirement age and was also a lecturer in obstetrics at UQ), and after all his years of experience,  his philosophy was not to stress unless there was a reason to do so.  I wish more doctors were like that!

#48 Jadey73

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hi all, just wanted to let you know I lost my bub at just over 8wks.  I'd had a bit of pink/brown spotting on & off after the 8wk dating scan (no other symptoms). Then 5 days later had another u/s with the OB which showed no heartbeat, etc. It was a shock as this is my first mc, but things didn't feel right from the start somehow with this pg, I just had an intuition.  ddown.gif

I had a D&C last night (didn't want to leave it too long), I'm fine physically, but it will take time to heal emotionally..  but at least I have a beautiful 2yo daughter..  and things happen for a reason I believe.  Will go off for a good sleep this arvo I think!  yyawn.gif  ssleep.gif  

All the very best to everyone with their pgs, sending positive thoughts to all the lovely older mummies here  original.gif

#49 Duechristmasday

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

H i everyone.

I am 38 and am 35 weeks pregnant with my 5th baby.  I have a 9YO, 6 YO, 5 YO and a 12 month baby boy.  This was a bit of a surprise for us, as I was very done after my 4th.

We had 6 M/C in between my 5 YO and my 12 month old, so I fully understand how heartbreaking the journey can be.  I found that dosing up on High potency Vitamin B, and also eating super healthy did help a little but.

I have not done any CVS testing but my results were very low so it was not necessary.  

I must say though that the first 2 trimesters were a breeze but this 3rd trimester is killing me.  I am so exhausted and feel like I am 90 years of age.......

#50 Bibendum

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi everyone - just dropping back in for an update...

Jadey73 - I'm so sorry for your loss...  

Welcome to the new folks!

I had my combined screen ultrasound last Friday, and the results came back with a greatly reduced risk, so we're now out of the range in which they recommend invasive testing.  The baby wasn't terribly cooperative with the ultrasound, which meant the scan was very long, and I came away with a sore belly from the ultrasound tech prodding, pushing, and shaking me, in order to try to get the baby to turn the right direction... ;-P.  They did a DVD of the scan, and I swear that half of it is just images of my insides being jiggled...

We had had a bout of pessimism going into the scan - my symptoms just vanished about a week before and, although I know that can happen when the placenta takes over, I was still afraid it would be bad news.  My husband apparently was as well - he said afterwards that, once he saw that the baby was still "there", he no longer cared what the results of he actual testing were... :-)

So now, assuming everything keeps going okay, we're not scheduled for another scan until our 20-week morphology scan, which is booked for the first week of March.

Now I'm trying to decide when the tell work - I'm in a weird situation, since I won a grant last year, which allows me to work from home on a book I'm writing.  As a result, work isn't expecting me to be back in the office until mid-June, which would be about a week before they'd normally expect staff to go on maternity leave...  Contractually, I need to tell them eight weeks before I plan to go on maternity leave - which would be in mid-April.  It would make life easier for them, though, to know earlier...  On the other hand, this workplace has... issues with women who have children...  And I'm a bit worried that, if I tell them too far in advance, they might try to cancel the arrangement that's letting me work from home on the book (they are being paid to let me do this, but they still have to grant permission).  I went in for a series of meetings a couple days ago - the last time they expect me to be in the office until June - and I didn't tell anyone then.  At the moment, just trying to balance my own interests (I really need to finish the book before the baby comes, and it's not going to get finished if I can't take this time away from the office now), against their general anti-maternity sentiment and how that might get exacerbated by their realizing that I must have known, and not told them, about the pregnancy for some weeks...

But part is me just happy that the pregnancy has hung on long enough for me to need to worry about how to manage work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.