Why are blueberries so expensive in Australia?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Jenflea

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

I bought mulberries a few weeks ago at Coles and gave one to my 1 yr old. OMG she looked like I'd beaten her up! I had to explain to everyone it was mulberry juice, not bruising on her face.
Never again in public!

#52 MotherClucker

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Just double checking but... there are no huckleberries in Australia are there? I spose you would need a forest for them hehe.

#53 angelam pacificae

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

What I miss are Cape Gooseberries.  My parents used to grow them, but then they moved, and I haven't eaten one since...never seen them for sale here.  

Anyone know if they're available at all?

#54 *LucyE*

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

I've seen gooseberries at our local green grocer occassionally but they tasted awful.  I remember Mum used to have a bush when I was growing up.

I've seen the plants for sale at good nurseries as well as online at places like Diggers.

#55 unicycle

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

are the cape gooseberries the ones which grow in papery lanterns?

the coles 1kg bags are frozen. obtainable at the opposition, too. we like them heaps more than the fresh ones,

#56 mummymore

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (*LucyE* @ 21/11/2011, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have blueberry bushes that are fruiting right now.  The fruit straight off the bush tastes so amazing compared to the soapy flavourless blue things in shops.

Me to.  I am in Sydney on the north shore.  They are spectacular when home grown.

#57 Curly Wurly

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

In Sweden I use to sit myself in the forest and devour blueberries. Raspberries straight from the canes grown naturally in the forest are DIVINE over there.  Yum, yum.

I love the IKEA blueberry jam. On a fresh scone with cream  or a teaspoon mixed in natural yoghurt. Blueberry cordial also from IKEA - might just have to make a trip that I am thinking of it.

#58 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 21/11/2011, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Slightly off topic - but where my Mum comes from they are called 'Wurtleberries' - isn't that a fabulous name!

Mmmmmm...... wurtleberries.

Isn't it actually 'whortleberry' ? Blueberry are the same genus, but a different section (so very similar, but not the same plant).

My parents just put a mulberry tree in. What are they like? All I know about mulberry trees, is that you go round them early in the morning.

Fresh mulberries are delicious! I love the big fat black ones (can't remember name), not a fan of the weeping ones.
If you are on a bird flight path (cockatoos or parrots) be warned that they will decimate your tree ever time it fruits sad.gif

I quite like Midyim berries. Lovely aniseed flavour.

Anyway, I noticed that at the shops today, Bluberries prices have dropped to $3.10 a punnet.

All store bought berries are pretty tasteless compared to fresh ones. This is all to do with them not being sun ripened - as the sun develops the sweetness and flavours.

What I miss are Cape Gooseberries.

I have 2 in my garden and 2 at my mums house. LOVE them!
I have actually seen them for sale occasionally at Bunnings. I got mine from my uncle. My mums just appeared by themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.