People keep saying my baby is an 'old soul'

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 lilsunniegirl

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

People keep saying my baby is an 'old soul', that he has been here before..

Do they mean like reincarnation?

How and why do they come to this?

Its happened quite a bit..

He does stare intently at people and things around him, and 90% of the time is comfortable in others presence (except of late)

Just curious why people keep saying it

Ta!

#2 Fourteenyears

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

It's just something some people say about babies.  

I had it said about both of mine, a lot.  Quite often it was said by people who I know don't really believe in this sort of stuff.  

It seems to be a comment made when babies are quietly looking around and taking in the world rather than when they're behaving like typical babies in a Huggies ad.

#3 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

My babies got this too. It doesn't necessarily refer to anything spiritual such as reincarnation etc.

It kinda just means they seem like wise little things who seem more alert and aware of their surroundings than say a sleepy baby.

#4 Barefoot

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

People said this about my DS, I thought they didnt think he was cute and that was their politically correct way of not saying "what a cutie" biggrin.gif

#5 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

I got a similar comment when DS was first born. The midwife said to me before I had even seen him "oh he has been here before". I think because he was lying there looking around rather than screaming his head off.

#6 BadCat

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Yeah I think it's just one of those things people say about babies who are content to look around.  I got it for both of mine.

#7 BlueUnicorn

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

It's the knowing and wise look that babies get in their eyes. Plus, most of us have been here before, many many times. original.gif
You baby is gorgeous OP, with lovely intense eyes- I can see why he gets those comments.

#8 BadgerBasher

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

Apparently I used to get it a lot.
Someone once commented to me (about Bean) "she's never been here before- look how excited she is about being alive!"

I would just smile and take it as reassurance that my baby is indeed the best baby in the world.

#9 Lulu Pumpkin

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Agree with PPs its just a comment and meant in a nice way.

Someone said that to me a few years ago and I replied..... Actually we are all old souls and I'm not too sure if there are actually any new souls so to speak but I've not really looked into it.

Yes, I got the weirdo look and he walked off. Realised then, I was just meant to smile and agree not share my views on reincarnation unsure.gif

#10 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (BadgerBasher @ 26/11/2011, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would just smile and take it as reassurance that my baby is indeed the best baby in the world.

Hehe Yes I agree - oh but about my baby tongue.gif

#11 lilsunniegirl

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the replies!!!

He is intent and a starer, and I think he's pretty gorgeous, as do all mums think their babies are!!

It would make sense if he's been here before I reckon.. He seems to do things quickly, like he knows what to do.. hope that doesnt come to bite me in the bum when he's older!! lol "Muuuuuumm, I know what Im doing!!"

#12 FormallyMe

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

OP, it's funny you should bring this up as a week ago I was going to ask something similar. From the moment my daughter was born (she's 13 weeks now) I've had many comments about her being special. She is so zen and people instantly warm to her. She's not an overly happy baby and she often looks like she is staring intently. I am not sure whether this is a result of my near-silent birth?! Just the other day I was in a waiting room and a lady came up to look at her and said that there is something "extra special" about her.

#13 BadgerBasher

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

Or maybe she has and she loved it then too. Not all of us have difficult lives

I don't mind either way, really original.gif I just love how she's so excited about everything- even getting swiped at by my cantankerous cat. I hope the shine never wears off for her.

OP, your boy is gorgeous. Just saying, in case you hadn't noticed Tounge1.gif

#14 Jingleflea

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

My daughter got that right from birth as well. I could HEAR her cry sounded somehow 'older' than the other babies in the maternity ward as well. Less kitteny and more baby if that makes sense.
She also is one to sit and watch (and judge and find lacking lol) a lot as well.

#15 lilsunniegirl

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

Thankyou for the compliments for Kai wub.gif  i think hes pretty special.. i think all bubbas are pretty special, theres something wonderful about bubs and the promise and excitement of everything that lies ahead,, and the imagination and play of children.. theyre just so special  happy.gif

#16 Sayerley

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

I have had people say that about Audrey before. I think it is because she has big deep brown eyes original.gif

#17 CallMeFeral

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

I think it's just a feeling you sometimes get about a baby - like they are unsurprised by their world, they seem like they've been there before.

I'm not sure if I believe in reincarnation or not, but I've believed it more since DD's birth. She's one of those 'old soul' types - when she was born it was like she was looking around to see "where am I this time?". You'd think her first sight of light and sound and stuff would be kind of surprising, but she seemed quite unperturbed. She also had a way of looking at people like she was looking straight through them - she seemed really bright and cluey. Even know she is almost 3 and seems old beyond her years - I always joke that she's 3 going on 40. She also has ways about her that I can't see where she'd have picked up. And she's very much a watcher. I know it sounds weird, but there's a part of me that does believe she's been here before, and has some ideas of what sort of life she might have had.

DS, on the other hand, always just seemed like a normal baby, and still does. I wouldn't make the old soul comment about him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.