January 07 Parents # 544

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

#26 nadya

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

As I am only a rare poster, I would like to say:

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL OUR KIDDIES THAT ARE TURNING 5, A WHOLE HAND.

Edited by nadya, 08 January 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#27 nadya

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

OH, and to those who have already had their birthdays and to the others also celebrating birthdays this month too.

#28 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hi all!! Still around, just busy & getting very lax at posting here. Have to head out but hope to get back in here later today. xxx

#29 Onemorebub

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

HI all!  I agree with the big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Still feel like holiday mode here love it!! been very busy having fun!! lots of swimming, skiing and good friends! Hope you are all doing the same!

I got a iphone for chrissy so any apps you think I need? anyone know how to stop it from going mute everytime I charge it? and if I can get amazon books on it?? like an ereader? dh got a kindle that thing is amazing but I would prefer an apple touch version of it and I suppose that is a ipad?

Kids are good J has staff back in his leg so I suppose it never actually left, loving there new toys! T loves his duplo and megablock sets and we are getting him a proper 2 wheel scooter for his birthday.

Im hoping b is having a nap now although I prefer him not too for ease of late nights he needs one every now and again we have been so busy lately.

Weather is cool today?

Thats all I can muster for now ! Bye!

#30 Mulan

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

BLR there is a kindle app for iphone. Its annoying as the print is too small to realy get the best use out of it.
There is also ibooks and goodreader and kobo textndrive is good (voice txting)
kids apps include dr suess, cat in the hat etc, uno, imazeing, talking lila, talking dinosaur, toilet buster, math bingo, tanagrams,
Other favourites are
Angry birds, mancala, scan2list, distant suns, ihandy level, facebook

Busy busy here as usual too. Just about to go for a bike ride though

#31 mamaknits

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hi everyone.

We're back from our road trip now. Well, we got home last week on Thursday but we've felt like we have needed to recover. It was a fantastic trip but it's just taken us a few days to get back into a routine.

Alex is back at daycare till school starts and Chris and I are back at work.

We're getting sorted for the new school year. We have most things sorted but still need a pair of sports shoes. Any recommendations? At the moment I am liking the look of the new balance ones at our local Athlete's Foot.

Finally got my act together and organised a trial day at Chinese school for Alex. Hopefully he will take to it like a duck to water. If not.. well, we tried.

#32 Mulan

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Celia, I think Alex will definately take to Chinese school like a duck to water or in the very least like Peking and duck from what I've seen and read about him
the athletes foot shoes, school and sports were my top pick through experience until my kids needed orthotics. The do fit orthotics but not quite as good as the lynx for wide feet. You will find one parent recommend a brand of shoes that y think are crap, next parent recommends a pair of shoes that might be borderline for yur child and the next might be the perfect fit for your child also. The you think that the third parent is full of the best wisdom. However their child feet just happen to be most similar to your child's. I've got three kids each with different shape feet, 2 so far needing orthotics. I have appreciated the advice of our podiatrist of which brands would suit the foot and the orthotic. I followed advice from grandmothers, aunts and friends. I should have just sought the professional advise though

#33 thebell

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Celia- What is Chinese school? When will you have time? LOL

Mulan- How is the new bike? Glad you have it so you don't crash anymore! Have you started your new job yet? I have forgotten.

BLR- I think you would need an iPad, the writing is too small on the iPhone. My boys got an iPod touch each for Christmas (best gift ever!) Apps I love are instagram for photos, pinterest, simply being meditation, radio stations, ebay, facebook, facebook messenger, proboards for the serial killer forum, my fitness pal.
Boys love sound effects, stupid ninjas, sonic 1, race penguin, road trip, fruit ninja lite, smurfs.
Brad has jailbroken the phone so they have lots more. Browse the free ones first!!

Jules- Well done to getting it up! That is awesome.

Pep has just banged her head on the table and needs a cuddle. We are all ok, surviving the holidays, but only just!

#34 mamaknits

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Sel, my secret Santa!! thank you! Alex is still at daycare. Just popping in to say thanks. Busy day today so he's having a long day at daycare. He has not opened his present yet, but I will be sure to give it to him when he gets home.

Chinese school = chinese/mandarin classes. It's 1/2 a day on Sunday mornings if we decide to attend the one near us, or 1 hour a week if we go to Chatswood. I prefer the one near our house but we'll see. 3 hours on Sunday may be a bit much for a little one.

I am keen for him to learn a second/third language and I don't think one hour a  week is enough at all.

Mulan, do the lynx shoes last? I remember having a pair in yr 12 and they were great but I am not hard on my shoes.

#35 mokeydoke

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

My phone is dying and Internet is the second casualty (after the off button).

Geez louise Kimbal has a friend over today and the others just wouldn't leave them alone so Peter has taken the boys to the river with the dogs (after the girls said they didn't want to go - we first tried to get them out of the house!). Lu is now screaming at the injustice of the boys going without her rolleyes.gif the visitor is literally walking around inside holding his nose saying something smells laughing2.gif but if anything smells it could only be eucalyptus scrub or floor cleaner, or the vanilla scented candle that was burning until we tried to eliminate potential smells. The house is actually very clean! Peter's even high pressure hosed the outside of the house so that it is sparkling.

Celia - I bought the kids all new running shoes from endless for christmas. The new balance were about half price from there than they are here! Kimbal had a pair last year so i knew what their sizing was like. School shoe wise I've gone the big w grosby brand again, after olivia's $20 ones lasted all last year to match her $100 clarkes from the year before! I figured I could buy a new pair each term if needed, but I didn't. Kimbal wears the grosby boots, and I had to replace his term 4 but again for $20 I'm not complaining.

#36 Corrie_lyn78

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:53 AM

Argh that reminds me I need to get new shoes for my boys too! Harrison is being difficult wanting labels only now. I can understand it I remember the feeling when I was at school and everyone had the brand names but my family couldn't afford them. I hate the emphasis put on them and $60 is a bit of a stretch for something that doesn't last long. He puts so much stock into these things lately though so I have been going around in circles about the simplest things!

Things have been good and bad around here. Harrison is handeling the holidays well, usually he doesn't. Lachie is not! I think Lachie is really anxious about school and I am really annoyed with them. They called me several times in the last week and I asked them every time when he was having a transition day as all the other kids had theirs and he had to wait for the special ed unit individualised one. It never happened mad.gif . They kept saying they would get back to me and I kept saying that a day's notice would help in regards to organising the day off work. Then I hear that the special ed teacher has told the kindy teacher that she doubts Lachie's diagnosis. She spent five minutes with him doing a so called "intelligence test". All of the other kids going into prep and all of the older grades know who their teachers are. I will be calling the Dep. Principal as soon as she steps foot into that office next week and having harsh words. I am sort of hoping he melts down on the first day (he probably will any way) I don't want him to have a bad day but I want them to see that he needs support.

Mandy- I am a scrooge when it comes to the boys having friends over lol. There is always too much drama.

Bonnie- Hope the staf heals! Harrison had a Staf infection in a sore on his face when he was little and it took months for it to clear up.

Sel- Thanks again for the knitted bunny for Lachie, you wouldn't believe that he is now calling the bunny you made him a mouse rolleyes.gif . He has not put it down since he got it in the mail yesterday original.gif .

Celia- Chinese school sounds fun. I used to work in a Chinese long day care centre. I learnt some Mandarin while I was there but unfortunately for me it was a skill I didn't retain when I left. I would sing songs and read stories in English and my assistant would translate them into Mandarin. We used to have the best Chinese New Year celebrations.

#37 Onemorebub

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Mulan!

#38 mamaknits

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, Mandy. i forgot about endless. How do the US sizes translate? I know Alex needs an Aussie 12 in the NB shoes I think. He needed a 13 in teh Ascent ones as he needed growing room but the NB seemed bigger.

#39 mokeydoke

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Just try a pair on and order that size wink.gif
I think they are about right. Lu has a 13.5 NB and 13 school shoes, the others have size 1 for both.

#40 mamaknits

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

I'll take alex in to a shoe store this week. I just feel bad trying on their shoes when I knwo I am going to buy it online.

#41 Onemorebub

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

Wow I missed a few posts!
Corrie did you have to try several ab to clear up the staff? not fun.

I just took J to get some shoes from athletes foot I have always bought payless slavenger(SP?) until now but thought maybe I should be buying better support shoes ? who really knows?

Mandy coming to Deni this weekend for a party and night at the big 4 are you around?

#42 mokeydoke

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

This weekend? As in today? laughing2.gif

#43 Corrie_lyn78

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

BLR- I remember we had to as it can become resistant to ABs so you have to keep changing sorts. It was hard on his face too because it was itchy and he kept infecting and reinfecting other areas of his face. I can't remember exactly how long it took but he had a lot of time off school because of it.

#44 cuddlymumof4

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Thank you Janet for Lateesha's Birthday gift. She loves it & hasn't put the torch down lol. She wants to wear the clothes for her birthday dinner tonight too original.gif.

#45 Onemorebub

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

MAndy no THIS weekend LOL

Corrie that would be hard on the face we just keep it covered on his leg so not as hard I think still taking its time sigh...

#46 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

You're welcome, Anna!  The torch was a last-minute inclusion - I found I'd bought several as "extras" earlier in the year, and when I realised what sort of obsession all my children have with torches, I though it might be a universal phenomenon!!!

#47 mokeydoke

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Bonnie - Cool! So what are your plans? I'm going out Saturday night, and I think Peter's playing golf on Sunday but me and the kids are free most of the weekend. Is your party at the Big 4? They have a new water park thing and jumping pillow, we can get a daypass and go out there Sunday maybe?

gtg strange banging out the back. Just Curtis, but what is he doing?!

#48 mamaknits

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

A big thank you to Sel for Alex's Lego Minifigure. It wasn't the only thing in his package but it's by far his favourite! He has dismantled it and reattached different heads and headgear and bodies, etc a million times now. Great entertainment! He has different voices for the different "characters" too biggrin.gif Thank you! He said to me that he does not remember meeting you at Umina (too many aunties around?)but you must remember him because you know what he likes!

Thank you, Mandy for reminding me about endless.com. I bought Alex's runners there - sz 12.5 plain white lace ups. Even with shipping for ONE pair, it was 1/2 the price I would have paid at Athlete's foot.. and they did not have plain white there. At the shops I could also only find whole sizes and Alex fits nicely into the 12 and the 13 is too big (even when accounting for growth room) so I was happy to get 12.5 online.

#49 thebell

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Mandy- What was he doing? LOL

Celia- They are the best! I almost always add one to gifts because they are only $5. original.gif

Better get onto endless from the sounds of things...

TOrches are always hits here! I think the kids have a few each.

I am so not living in a house without a/c again. I am sweating like a pig. At least my water intake is good.
I've decided to do another round of the Mish Bridges program. Hopefully lose another 10kg. I'm contemplating going to finale too! (Big group workout and a party at night.)
Not much happening here, pretty boring holidays really. I'm planning to go camping next year so that will be a bit more interesting. Brad has worked most days except the basic public holidays so it's been me and the kids. Oh well.
Birthday week next week! My party is coming along nicely. original.gif The frozen cocktail machine is booked and I am contemplating hiring a red carpet. LOL

#50 mamaknits

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Sel, if more than 1 child needs shoes (or if you and Brad need shoes) buy them all together! If you hit above $100, shipping is free and there's additional discount for purchases over $75 on kids shoes. I could not make it work - can't justify buying MORE shoes so I only bought one. i was almost tempted to buy 1 pair in 12.5 and one pair in 13.5 or 1, but (un?)fortunately, that would still only be $60, so my wallet is saved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.