Cancer support
General chat

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#26 Chchgirl

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Wishing2011 @ 22/12/2011, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey ladies not sure if I fit in here. Just reading ur posts took me back to this time 8 years ago. Dh ( who was my boyfriend at the time and only 21) had just had an op to remove testicular cancer. As a partner i did not cope well at all. I cried at the drop of a hat and just had a Sick feeling constantly in my stomach . It wasn't me that was sick but I felt Like he handled it much better than I did. I had chest pains for weeks which I have Learnt now only pops up when I am extremely anxious. And I don't think I could even eat. I was a mess!

You are all so brave but I know you just do what u have to. But you handle it much better than I ever could.

Wishing you all and your partners all the best for a speedy recovery original.gif

Hey Wishing, everyone fits in here!! thank you for your wishes and I hope you have a great christmas and new year too..original.gif

Edited by Chchgirl, 22 December 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#27 Here we go again

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the answers.

You are right due to my age I am just going for a ultrasound. January 17th cant come quick enough!!!

#28 lezah

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Revlimid side effects have kicked in

Can't say anything 'IRL' because I'm getting accused of wishing it.

Just devastated.

#29 jules363

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

Oh Lezah sad.gif  Talk it out with us in here, whenever you like.

#30 KT1978

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

What sort of side effects lezah?

And he's taking it out on you? Hang in there, try and get a break if you can.

Come vent anytime, I like that I'm not the only one who does that!

#31 **Kylie**

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

Lezah......hope you are OK.  It really sucks to be the "well half" a lot as far as I am concerned.  I know I feel completely useless!  sad.gif

#32 Chchgirl

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

It does suck, chin up it is very hard, no matter how many people tell you to be positive, they don't have to live it!

Edited by Chchgirl, 24 December 2011 - 12:20 PM.

#33 Chchgirl

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Hope everyone had a good christmas, or as good and normal as it can be..!

I am up the central coast at my inlaws, we had xmas day there, missed going to my parents christmas eve as husband became unwell, today is boxing day and had to send him off in an ambulance to gosford hospital, has a temp, diahhrea ect...have done this all before..

He had a procedure called chemoembolization a couple of weeks ago, where they inject chemo beads into the liver, mostly for advanced cancer patients (as he is)...they stopped chemo in october so this was new, but I'm not sure it this is a side effect or whether he has just come down with an infection again..

Take care and hope you can all get through the holiday season the best you can!

#34 KT1978

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

Chch how is he tonight? I'm so sorry he had complications around Christmas.
It's nice to forget for a few days if you can.

Are your inlaws looking after you?

I hope he gets discharged soon.

We've had a good Christmas even if dp has been tired. Two more treatments and we have a two week break , can't wait.

#35 Chchgirl

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (KT1978 @ 26/12/2011, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chch how is he tonight? I'm so sorry he had complications around Christmas.
It's nice to forget for a few days if you can.

Are your inlaws looking after you?

I hope he gets discharged soon.

We've had a good Christmas even if dp has been tired. Two more treatments and we have a two week break , can't wait.

Good today, he's stabilised and on iv antibiotics, he had a high temp and an  infection. Best place to be with pain relief etc..he certainly looked a lot better than yesterday! He will be in for 5 days, this happened last year in october, it's just one of those things that can happen unfortuately. Seasoned professionals we are.

Inlaws are great, good for the kids being here with cousins and keeping their minds off things..

Hope you enjoy your break, are you going away at all?

Edited by Chchgirl, 26 December 2011 - 08:46 PM.

#36 KT1978

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Dd is away with my parents, we will join them on the weekend. Down the coast.

Dp Has a bit of a cold hopefully it won't get worse.

#37 JRA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Guys thinking of all of you who are living through this at the moment.

For those that have said it is so hard as the partner of the "sick one". Dh also said this.

In the end he ending up writing something for the local council as a partner of a person going through chemo etc (with a  6mth old), as it is just so bloody hard for the "well one".

My heart goes out to all of you.

#38 ~*Lou*~

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hello ladies

I'm off to hospital in few mins for my 6th chemo - cross your fingers for me that the next week isn't as ghastly as last cycle (did I mention I hate Taxetere!!!!). Very worried about super hot weather forecast for this weekend, that won't help me feel any better, we're renting this summer and this place gets as hot inside as out!  

SUPPORTING THE PARTNER - I have tried to make things as easy on DH as I can - I've filled up freezer with family dinners, I've cleaned the house, I've called friends and asked them to have him and the children ovet for playdates, my mum helps endlessly with children and meals and laundry, his mum helps one day a week (she's here today) ... can you think of anything else I can do to make it easier on him????

KATE - hope DH's cold doesn't get worse, and you can relax and enjoy a break.

CHCHGIRL - hope your DH continues to improve and feel more comfortable, does him being in hospital give you a mini-mini-respite at all?

*Chyloe*, Jules, Lezah - hope things ok your end? thinking of you all....

Lou xxx

#39 KT1978

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

SUPPORTING THE PARTNER - I have tried to make things as easy on DH as I can - I've filled up freezer with family dinners, I've cleaned the house, I've called friends and asked them to have him and the children ovet for playdates, my mum helps endlessly with children and meals and laundry, his mum helps one day a week (she's here today) ... can you think of anything else I can do to make it easier on him????

lol you are awesome.  Its supposed to be the other way around!  

I do all this to make life easier for DP.  biggrin.gif

Mostly we are doing the same things as we usually do, but letting the house get messier when we feel like it.  its not that he's that sick with chemo, or I don't have time its just that we are less motivated than usual and are vegeing out a lot.

My parents have helped by having DD because they can see we aren't much fun at the moment.  DP can't mow the lawn or do heavy stuff but I usually do the lawns and Dad has dropped around to help a few times too.

The support from DP that I want is just to realise that even though I'm not sick, I am worried too and sometimes I'm unhappy and for him not to feel bad about it or make me feel like I have "nothing to worry about".  Our early battles were about this.

The other thing that is hard to do is to still make time for your relationship - we had a night out not long ago and it was great.  Even a movie or fish n chips at the beach - just don't forget that your relationship/family needs time off from cancer too.  Thats it Lou.  

#40 ~*Lou*~

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Home from yesterday's chemo (6th cycle of 8). My haem was down so last night they gave me my first blood transfusion. Bone pain starting this evening, currently neck back and ribs and spreading. Ho hum.

SUPPORTING PARTNERS - I'm doing my best to support DH. He gets anxiety, low self esteem, panic attacks, so I have to try make things as normal s possible to not trigger anything, and I mostly bite my tongue on any complaints. Yesterday on the oncology ward I made a mistake - he asked how i felt and i complained about the ice mitts they had on me, he snapped back he wasn't critising me and got grumpy with me, not a word of sympathy.

Hope everyone doing ok tonight?

Lou xx

#41 KT1978

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Well done Lou... 75% complete!

Sometimes when people vent, others hear it as a criticism etc.  it's hard not to react in the heat of the moment and start and argument.  I hear you Lou.  We have similar explosions here.

Dp has a cold.  Feels crappy. Chemo next Tuesday is his last before his first break (2 weeks off).

Chchgirl. How's dp?

Is everyone else partying? It's quiet in here!

#42 **Kylie**

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hi everyone.

Have been around but not posting...keeping kids busy seeing as everyone is home on holidays.  DH's back has been playing up and he is pretty much in chronic pain all the time (and has been since June this year when we sent to Cape York for a month).  Other than that, we are all OK.    The doctors don't think the back pain is a symptom of the cancer, but with it being a rare type, I don't think they really know.  I am just paranoid (and scared sh*tless that it will come back again).   sad.gif

I am sure he thinks I am very unsympathetic, but I try my best.  original.gif

Lou - you are amazing!!  original.gif

Hope everyone had an amazing Christmas and Happy New Year for 2012!  original.gif original.gif

#43 Chchgirl

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

Dh is good guys, thanks, hopefully gets out tommorrow, and we can head home sunday. Hope so.. was supposed to be at inlaws for 2 days now 5 lol! His temperature has been stable and has been looked after well by gosford hospital..I'm sure they are dying to get rid of him after him mucking around and hassling them, which means he is normal again.!

Hope you are all doing well, to anyone new to chemo, please be careful of any sick people, this is dh's second time this has happened (october 2010) just a simple cold caught from somone can have you emergency with a temperature and infection...we are veterans at this but it's not easy on anyone..!

Now we are supposed to fly to qld for our annual holiday in 2 weeks from tommorrow so lets try holidays again -take 2!

That's great Lou, as kt said 75 percent done!

I'm partying on here up the coast, Kt, as whilst the man is in hospital I'm entertaining the kids and have inlaws and sisters in laws up there so it's not too bad, although I'm ready to go home now..

I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to freak too much, Chloey, I know it can be hard especially if your new to the whole cancer and treatment scenario, and you will freak with every small thing, I still do nearly two years later, but I just try to pick up and stay strong and try not to hit people on the head that tell me to be positive! It certainly is hard some days thats for sure...

take care all and have a great new year!! xx

Edited by Chchgirl, 30 December 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#44 Chchgirl

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

Yay, we are home! That is all I have to say...

Happy new year!

#45 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

I had a great Christmas (eating lots - not like Christmas last year).

I went out on a date with a long time friend - great to feel like an attractive woman again.

New Years Eve I went to a party where there was a band - and I got up and sang!!! You know you are feeling better when you start singing again. But now I've got the added impetus to get up there because life is too short to let your nerves stop you from doing things you really enjoy.

I'm looking forward to being more 'there' for my daughter this year.

Happy New Year everyone.

#46 Chchgirl

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (*TikkaB* @ 01/01/2012, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a great Christmas (eating lots - not like Christmas last year).

I went out on a date with a long time friend - great to feel like an attractive woman again.

New Years Eve I went to a party where there was a band - and I got up and sang!!! You know you are feeling better when you start singing again. But now I've got the added impetus to get up there because life is too short to let your nerves stop you from doing things you really enjoy.

I'm looking forward to being more 'there' for my daughter this year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Sounds wonderful, glad you had a good time!

#47 ~*Lou*~

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

Very quickly, as children need me, but I had chemo last Wednesday, still on panadeine forte for the bone/joint pain, screwy mouth, sore fingers and toe nails and general crappiness. Sigh.... Its so hot here in Melbourne, we're staying with my parents, who have air-con, for couple of nights.

hope everyone else doing ok

Lou xxx

#48 **Kylie**

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Lou - that sucks.....I hope you feel better soon.  sad.gif

We are doing OK here.....Pete has gone back to work (reluctantly lol) and I am due to go back on Monday next week.  Kids are driving me mental, but hey that's normal!!!

#49 MaryfromtheDairy

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hey all, I've posted in this section before, but new to this group.

Lezah - I understand some of what you're going through with Wayne.  My 69yo dad has MM, diagnosed 1/4/2005.  He's had his 2 analogous stem cell transplants, the first in mid 2005 when I was pregnant with my first child and the second in 2010.  Dad's been through every drug under the sun and is now also on Revalimid, but not doing terribly well on it.  Today they put him on dexamethasone (in addition to the rest!).  He was on Revalimid in early 2010 (and got agro - for which I blame the drug) but discontinued and had the second stem cell transplant.  He went back on it a few months ago but regularly has required breaks from his protocol because he's not handling it particularly well.  I am very close to my parents, so what you say about your experience pretty much exactly mirrors my mother's words.  It is really, really hard to handle this chronic condition over such a prolonged period, always with one eye on the end wondering what...when...

For those that don't know me, I'll introduce myself:  I was diagnosed with a cyst on my brain after I knocked myself unconscious is a very bad ski fall  in August 2005.  After a month of apathy and various misdiagnosis I was referred to my fabulous neurosurgeon who immediately diagnosed a glioma, but suggested it was low grade.  A month later I had surgery and the pathologist(s) both confirmed high grade astrocytoma.  I have recently finished all my radiation and chemo and I'm really well.  I am definitely not the person I was before.  I still hate my appearance, but have regrown about 10cm of hair which is too short and curly to do anything decent with.  I still wear wigs whenever I want to feel 'pretty'.  It sucks that I don't have a 'partner', my husband left me a couple of months before my diagnosis.  I have dated, but it's pretty confronting to start dating a single mother whose life expectancy is vastly lower than the average.

#50 ~*Lou*~

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

How is everyone going?

I had an appt with my breast surgeon this morning - I was expecting to be told, you need mastectomy (was told this much at diagnosis), your surgical date is such and such. Instead I was told, well yes I do need mastectomy but I need to decide about what type of reconstruction and when, before we set surgical date. So next week I need to see a reconstructive surgeon and then go back to breast surgeon a 2nd time. Until now I haven't had to make any decisions - its been, here is your diagnosis and off you go for chemo, to be followed by mastectomy and radiation and reconstruction (I thought, in that order). So now I have to research and think and decide, and fairly quickly too, because no matter what I do decide surgery will be 4-6 weeks after i finish chemo, and my last chemo is 6th Feb, so that makes surgery 5-19 March. So bit frustrated, instead of knowing exactly what the next step is right now

Lou xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.