Obstetrician under $2000 Melb. South East?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 LittleLittle

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

I naively thought that after paying for private health insurance to cover pregnancy for a year...that it would actually cover most pregnancy costs! Ahh *silly me!*

I just about fell off my chair when researching into the out of pocket costs of having a baby in the private system. unsure.gif

Gulp.

Anyway down this road we go...

We live close to Chadstone Shopping Centre in Malvern. I’d LOVE some helpful hints on hospitals that others are impressed with/have used....(Hate to sound “povo” but) Most pressing at the min. seems to be finding a reasonably priced obstetrician (around $2000 out of pocket or less would take some stress out of the current equation).

I understand the restrictions of this site mean we can’t post about specific doctor’s: so PLEASE PM me if you can help this first time (v. Nervous) Mum to be ohmy.gif).

Thank-u thank-u 100 times over! biggrin.gif

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Congratulations!

I have sent you a PM with recommendations.

Be Quick.

If you want to go to Cabrini you need to be booked in before 6wks PG. Even at 5-6wks you may be too late to get into.

My OB's assistant organises Cabrini (although you should double check that they still do it).

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Will send you a PM original.gif

#4 laursiej

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hi girls,

First post to EB!  Very excited - 5 weeks PG!

I am in the same position as LittleLittle!
Would you mind PMing me the details too?

Thankyou - this forum is just amazing.  SO much info!

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

PM will be sent :-)
Congratulations

#6 Like a tiger

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi,
This is my first post in this section too. I've just found I'm 5wks and I feel lost about obs and costs.
Does anyone have any recommendations in the inner city or Northern suburbs around the $2K-$3K mark that you could PM me about?
Thanks original.gif

#7 Renovators delight

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi Pinky Bee

A good idea is to have a think about what hospital you would like to go to, and then find out which obstetricians deliver there. From there, ring their rooms and ask how much it costs original.gif

I am going to Northpark in Bundoora, I paid $200 for first visit, $80 for subsequent visits and a $1600 management fee.

You do get some of this back through Medicare, which helps - once you pay the management fee, you go over the safety net, which is worked out on an annual basis (not financial year) and so if you can, save all the earlier visits and don't claim them back till after you hit that cap - you'll get more!

Additionally, I have paid for ultrasounds - 4 so far - at about $250 a go - again, you get some of that cost back from Medicare too.

Hope this advice helps a bit !

Edited by Jillian_10, 24 January 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#8 Like a tiger

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Jillian,That was a great help, I'm incrediably lost about a starting point so your advice was very helpful.My preference would be Northpark, it's closer to home and should it be needed, it's not far from Mercy Hospital For Women. We're doing a tour on Sat and I'll start calling obs on Friday original.gif Would you mind PMing me your obs details out of interest?

#9 Renovators delight

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

PM sent!

#10 divz145

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hi could you please PM me too the details as I need to find an OB under $2000 as well.

Same situation as Littlelittle. We want to go to Waverley Private but it scares me to think if something happened would we be really paying $$$$ out of pocket.

Hospital fee is $4400 which includes 4 nights stay and birth suite.

otherwise was thinking of going to monash as a private patient as it would be $350 a night and no charges for anathesist etc..

Please help!!

#11 divz145

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

hi please can you help me!!! thanks

#12 hernette

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hi

I am going to Jessie MacPherson Private, which is part of Monash Medical Centre, Clayton.  I like having the back-up of the tertiary hospital facilities just i case.

I was in there last May for my appendix and again in December after I had bleeding and was diagnosed with placenta praevia, so I can vouch for the fact that the nurses and midwives are awesome.

Can't help with an OB within that budget but there is quite a long list of OBs who deliver there on the Jessie Mac website.

#13 Georgie01

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Same situation as Littlelittle. We want to go to Waverley Private but it scares me to think if something happened would we be really paying $$$$ out of pocket.

Hospital fee is $4400 which includes 4 nights stay and birth suite.

otherwise was thinking of going to monash as a private patient as it would be $350 a night and no charges for anathesist etc..

But if you have PHI the hospital costs are covered and you only have to pay the excess plus possible gap for anaesthetist etc. At least that's how it worked for my deliveries.

#14 MamaSam

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi ladies,

I'm trying to decide between Waverley Private and Jessie Mac. Can anyone please PM me if you can recommend an obstetrician who works at either/both of these?

Thanks heaps!

#15 divz145

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (Georgie01 @ 31/01/2012, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if you have PHI the hospital costs are covered and you only have to pay the excess plus possible gap for anaesthetist etc. At least that's how it worked for my deliveries.

I dont have the PHI covering because I got pregnant before the 12 month waiting period.

#16 Georgie01

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

I dont have the PHI covering because I got pregnant before the 12 month waiting period.

We want to go to Waverley Private but it scares me to think if something happened would we be really paying $$$$ out of pocket.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. My reading of the OP was that the hospital costs weren't the main issue but that the OB out of pockets were.

The thing about going privately is that there are a bunch of other things - blood tests, ultrasounds etc. that you also routinely have out of pocket costs for. Yes, you can sometimes arrange to have these bulk billed but this will depend on the providers and referrals. My last pregnancy was complicated and the out of pockets for the 20+ ultrasounds and monitoring ended up costing more than the OB's out of pockets (not complaining, we opted to stay in the private system, just stating the facts). The babies ended up in special care nursery (with a paediatrician seeing them daily) which PHI also covered (although I gather that it's not unusual for transfers to the public system if PHI isn't covering costs and these situations arise).

Congratulations on the pregnancy, I hope things go well.

#17 nabichan

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi, would you mind to pm me the list as well, as i am also looking for obs around the same area? Thanks a lot.
QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 17/01/2012, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations!  I have sent you a PM with recommendations.  Be Quick.  If you want to go to Cabrini you need to be booked in before 6wks PG. Even at 5-6wks you may be too late to get into.  My OB's assistant organises Cabrini (although you should double check that they still do it).

#18 Miralina

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Ooh, same!! Can you please PM me details for obs under $2000 too! Couldn't believe the out of pocket expenses either!! I'm 5.5 weeks, live on Melbourne's southside, and was told by two obs that I was already too late to book in with them!! I'm a first timer too and trying to get my head around it all - not that I'd have it any other way original.gif Thanks heaps

#19 tinkster23

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Jillian_10 @ 24/01/2012, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do get some of this back through Medicare, which helps - once you pay the management fee, you go over the safety net, which is worked out on an annual basis (not financial year) and so if you can, save all the earlier visits and don't claim them back till after you hit that cap - you'll get more!

Hope this advice helps a bit !

Can't help the OP but wanted to say this is wrong. If you submit your claims as you have the visits, you'll hit the safety net cap quicker, so saving them just delays it. original.gif

#20 tenar

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

I think going private without PHI would be a very risky thing to do.  If anything goes not to plan, you could be up for huge costs for you or the baby.  

FWIW I've given birth in the private system and the public system (Frances Perry House and The RWH Melbourne) and the only thing that was worse in the public system was the food.  Everything else was just fine and I think that the quality of my care was at least as good in the public hospital as in the private - certainly that birth went much much better.  There's nothing much wrong with going public, if my experience is anything to go by.

#21 divz145

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Please could you PM me the OB details...i would really appreciate all your help.

thank u in advance!!

#22 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

As a PP said, going private patient in a private hospital without PHI is a risk if you dont have the money to cover unexpected expenses.

My first pregnancy didnt go according to plan, DS was born prematurely and required a stay in SCN and myself in ICU. My PHI required letters to say that DS was early and that my expected dates were still outside of the 12 month waiting period in order to cover the costs.

My ICU costs at private hospital were $6000 for 3 days, my standard hospital stay on top of that was again $6000. My DS SCN stay was over $15,000. Then all the blood tests and pead visits etc. This would have been crippling if PHI had not covered it.

Just worth noting!

#23 Renovators delight

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (tinkster23 @ 13/02/2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't help the OP but wanted to say this is wrong. If you submit your claims as you have the visits, you'll hit the safety net cap quicker, so saving them just delays it. original.gif

I'm confused - I checked with Medicare twice before I did it - I was able to get the 'higher' rebate on all my visits prior to having paid the big management fee because I didn't claim them back till after I had paid the fee - which put me straight over the safety net.

If I'd claimed the little visit fees as I took them, I only would have got the 'normal' amount back - saving them till after I was over the safety net meant I got all the little fees back at the 'higher' amount - I was definitely better off waiting to claim them.

If this has changed in the past 6 months, of course, I'm wrong - and I don't work for Medicare, but I reckon it would still be worth checking with them? No harm in a 17c phone call anyway  unsure.gif

#24 NewMumm

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Im just putting this out there....... But do you really need an OB???

I went through the public sector with just midwife care and they were amazing. Why waste the money if you are not expecting any sort of pregnancy or birth complications??? Maybe go public and spend the money that you will be saving on beautiful things for your new baby.

#25 tinkster23

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

Jillian- if you and used the smaller visits to help you get to the safety net you would have got more back from the big management fee.  You have to spend a certain amount out of pocket, once you hit that you get back 85%(if memory serves) of your out of pocket costs above and beyond the usual Medicare rebate. It doesn't matter how you get there, in little increments or in one big go.

Hope I'm not confusing you more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.