Obstetrician under $2000 Melb. South East?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#51 Soontobegran

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (simba123 @ 01/10/2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi there, im currently in the process of planning a move back to melbourne from qld before the birth of my first baby.  Im currently 21 weeks.  I have a fabalous doctor here who's fees are onloy $1700.  I to would like to find someone in Melb around this price.  Not too sure of my chances of getting in but would like to give it a go.  I will be living around the chadstone area.
I stumbled across this topic as I was googling the topic.  
I found a doc who sounded great but unfortunately the management fee was $3300.  Our baby is IVF so we just feel we have already spent so much money.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where do you live simba?

#52 simba123

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

hi thanks for your reply, im currently live on sunshine coast.
i can't believe my current OB only charges $1700 management fees when he is really good!

but I will be moving to Hughesdale so anyone that delivers out of Cabrini or Waverley.

If anyone could also PM me details - I would be forever grateful.  Im starting to get a little stressed sad.gif

#53 qak

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (divz145 @ 05/02/2012, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont have the PHI covering because I got pregnant before the 12 month waiting period.

I would really be questioning whether you can afford to go to a private hospital to start with.  You would have to be prepared for huge costs.

#54 MyBaby2

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi ladies I hope this post is still active. I have just found out I was pregnant and I need a good obstetrician who works at Cabrini and doesn't charge an arm an leg. Any recOmensations are very much appreciated.

#55 CrownJuls

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

If anyone is still reading this thread -

i would be sincerely grateful if anyone could please PM me names of OBs who practice at Cabrini and don't cost the earth!

So far the cheapest OB i have called was in excess of $4000!
I have just found out that i am 4wks and have no idea where to start.

unsure.gif

#56 BusyAs

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

For those of you looking for a low-fee obs, - one thing to bare in mind is that they generally have either 2 or 3 lump sum payments.

Eg. $2000 at 20wks and then $2000 at 40wks, or post birth, rather than forking out each visit.

Also, you usually know how much you're looking at paying from the start (obviously given that it will be a relatively straight fwd birth)

My ob charges two lump sum fees, regardless of how many times I see him, how many calls, etc etc.

Hope that helps and good luck.

#57 mummy35

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (CrownJuls @ 27/03/2013, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anyone is still reading this thread -

i would be sincerely grateful if anyone could please PM me names of OBs who practice at Cabrini and don't cost the earth!

So far the cheapest OB i have called was in excess of $4000!
I have just found out that i am 4wks and have no idea where to start.

unsure.gif

Hey, Did you have any luck getting any OBS under $4000. I had my heart set on one and have been unable to get in and hoped you might have a few ideas. Many thanks for your help

#58 nelly72

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi, I'm also hoping for a OB recommendation for the Brighton area around the $2000 mark?

Not  sure whether to go Cabrini or Sandringham as a private patient? I won't  be covered by my PHF as I'm under the 12 month waiting period. Any  recommendations via PM most appreciated.

Sandringham seems to get  good feedback on maternity forums, so I would be happy to go there as a  private patient with my own OB I think.

I am an older first time pregnancy via IVF so want to be careful but also need to watch $$

#59 Guest_Paddy2_*

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (nelly72 @ 14/04/2013, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sandringham seems to get  good feedback on maternity forums, so I would be happy to go there as a  private patient with my own ob.

Do you know if private Obs deliver at Sandringham?

#60 Happyagain

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (LittleLittle @ 17/01/2012, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I naively thought that after paying for private health insurance to cover pregnancy for a year...that it would actually cover most pregnancy costs! Ahh *silly me!*

I just about fell off my chair when researching into the out of pocket costs of having a baby in the private system. unsure.gif

Gulp.

Anyway down this road we go...

We live close to Chadstone Shopping Centre in Malvern. I’d LOVE some helpful hints on hospitals that others are impressed with/have used....(Hate to sound “povo” but) Most pressing at the min. seems to be finding a reasonably priced obstetrician (around $2000 out of pocket or less would take some stress out of the current equation).

I understand the restrictions of this site mean we can’t post about specific doctor’s: so PLEASE PM me if you can help this first time (v. Nervous) Mum to be ohmy.gif).

Thank-u thank-u 100 times over! biggrin.gif

Hi there

hope you had a great pregnancy and delivered a healthy baby.

I came looking for the same info when I saw your post. I am in the same situation and very close to chadstone. I was hoping if you could share any information regarding private obstetricians who are close or under $2000.

We are looking at getting into Jessie Mcphearson.

Hope you had a pleasant experience.

Cheers

#61 Spiv15

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi All,

I hope this thread is still active. It is good to know I am not alone in this situation. I have PHI, but am overwhelmed in the obstetrician search! I would love to hear everyone's experiences or recommendations in finding an obstetrician with 'reasonable' fees delivering at Cabrini, Epworth or freemasons. The other option is a public patient at Sandringham, I've heard great things about it but as this is my first would prefer the comfort of a private birth :) thanks

#62 Mumma3

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

TBH, Sandringham is pretty good for a public hospital. Only 2 beds in each room, but 2 rooms share a bathroom. The food is fine, and the whole ward and delivery suites were refurbished earlier this year.
For a normal birth with no complications, you would expect to stay 2 nights, and then have the EPC midwives visit you at home. For a csection, then 4 nights would be the norm.
Compare that to double beds at Cabrini or the Epworth/Freemasons, 4 nights (or 5 for emergency c section) and slightly nicer food.
The special care nursery at Sandringham can provide the same levels of care as at the privates, but at Sandringham, they only have the unwell bubs in there, and don't allow the overnight nursery for well babies.
You can go through the midwives clinic at Sandringham, or another option could be shared care with your GP.

HTH

#63 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Spiv15 I would send PM but can't seem to send one to you.

#64 TWSS

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

I had a fantastic OB for under $2000.

He only delivers at Mitcham or Knox though.
I saw him for both of my pregnancies, and couldn't recommend him more. Fantastic :)

#65 Schmig

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

For those living near Chadstone you may be in the zone to deliver public at Monash anyway. It is the same birth suites as the private. The main difference is OB care. I delivered at Jesse Mac (Monash private) last time and will again this time but my Ob is about $6000 out of pocket. But those friends I have who delivered public at Sandringham and Monash were really happy with it. If the cost concerns you maybe look at public as an option

#66 zoemops

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hello everybody
How happy im we have
Such a good women to help each other.
Could u give me advice about good obstetrician in Cabrini malvern with reasonable price.
Thank u good luck to all mums to be
Anastasia

#67 LittleMoo

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostTWSS, on 08 August 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I had a fantastic OB for under $2000.

He only delivers at Mitcham or Knox though.
I saw him for both of my pregnancies, and couldn't recommend him more. Fantastic Posted Image

Hi,
What's the name of the Dr you went to at Mitcham?
Thanks for your help.

#68 Hnhas1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi all,
I'm 8w pregnant. Can anyone PM me any obstetrician around $2000 please.
I have to go private because i don't eligible for medicare.

Thank you
Kind Regards,

#69 Soontobegran

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hnhas1.....Do you have Private Health Insurance ?

#70 Hnhas1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

Yes, i have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It only cover for hospital, but not OB management fees.
I live in south east Melbourne. Unfortunately Monash Medical Centre now won't allow international students to give birth there by Public because we don't have medicare.

So i'm seeking budget friendly OB now.

Many Thanks

#71 Mumma3

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

I'm pretty sure you can birth at the Royal Women's (Parkville) on a student visa with no Medicare.
I would suggest you give them a call.

#72 lucky 2

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

I think there might be a difference between a Private patient and a "non-eligible patient.
I thought a non-eligible patient could access the services of a public hospital with out of pocket expenses.
Are you saying that that Monash wont do this anymore?
What about Sandringham Hosp?

#73 Hnhas1

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Now hospitals have catchment area. Since i live in the City of Monash, RWH parkvile or sandringham will not accept me to use their public maternity services.

The only public hospital where i eligible to use is Monash Med Centre, however now they don't accept International Student to use public maternity service because we don't have medicare.

That's why i have to go private and seeking for budget friendly OB.

Many Thanks

#74 Mumma3

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

Hnhas1. I would recommend you call RWH at Parkville and double check. I know you can't use Sandringham as an overseas student without Medicare, however, RWH at  Parkville should be able to assist you.

You really need to speak to their admissions people and clearly explain your circumstances.

Edited by Mumma3, 19 August 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#75 librarylady

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi all,

I'm planning on going to the RWH as I live in South Yarra but thought I would ask about an OB under $2000 at Cabrini or the Freemasons. I'd love to go to private and have PHI but I know the extra costs are not covered. Please PM me with any recommendations. Thanks in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.