School Fete Ideas

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Blissey

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hi all....

I have been dragged into being on the commitee for our school fete this year in August.

We are having a quick meeting tomorrow then having an ideas meeting not long after.

So......any stall suggestions that I could put forward? What have you seen that works well?

Have you seen a cent auction work? I have never been part of one but this idea has been put down to be discussed - how do they run?

Thanks....look forward to taking some fresh ideas to the meeting!

#2 Shoop

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

If you are having rides at the fete I would suggest a "unlimited rides" pass that you can sell before the event. (and not offer it on the day) It will give you funds before the day and also give you an idea of how many people will be attending.

Strange but true - the BBQ sweet corn has been very popular at most fetes I've been to recently.

The old fashioned cake stall has also been popular - think toffee, honey joys, chocolate crackles. The bonus is they are inexpensive to make.

I have no idea what a cent auction is so I can't help with that, sorry!

#3 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Face painting is gold and always wins as long as you get someone good.

Cake stands work well, things kids can do like painting ceramic items, lucky dips, dont know what a cent auction is but what about silent auction?, any parents with talents like card making, making other items? oh the primary school near me is doing a fete/carnival and they are doing a car boot sale, you purchase a "spot" to sell stuff that you no longer need, so you can sell places but the people keep the proceeds of selling their stuff so you both win original.gif

Edited by YellowKittyGlenn, 09 February 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#4 Blissey

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thanks so far. I am writing down ideas as I get them...so that is a great help so far. I actually dont know what the cent auction is either! Was suggested by a mum but I didnt want to sound vague and ask hahaha.

Is that sweet corn....as in corn on the cob? If so....yum!

#5 tomson

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Our school fete is only once every second year, and so is relatively big ( raised around $30,000) last time.

We have a bunch of medical parents - nurses and a few doctors, and they ran a plaster cast stall.
Plastered the kids arms with different color plasters. They had tubs of food coloring set up, and the kids could pick their color. They also had glitter etc to add.
All kids were given a note re removal ( cut it off with scissors), and warnings re remove if too hot / too tight etc. This was a massive hit. I can't remember if they charged $2 or $5 for it.

The local lions club comes and runs a chocolate wheel, second hand book stall always does really well, as does the plant stall. They also run a BBQ plus a coffee shop - proper coffee machine and cakes. They also do an art show with local artists - had a preview night the night before the fete, then open at the fete. Proceeds split between the school and the artists.

Our best performing stall was the handicrafts. One teacher ran a sewing club after school over the two terms prior and had a bunch of kids and a few parents making felt toys, and each class made a craft item that was sold.

#6 Shoop

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Sorry, yes - corn on the cob. They served it with a little butter and it sold out in hours.

#7 wildflowers

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Cent Auctions are great.  You ask for donations from cafes, businesses etc for  prizes and get each year level to bring in donations and make up heaps of items that people can win.  You sell sheets of tickets.  At our school each year level had a certain stall to run like cupcake decorationg, ring toss, book stall, trash and treasure.  Parents were also able to pay $30 and have a stall.  We also had a pizza and churro stand.  The p and c ran a sausage sizzle and novelty stall of leftover stuff from the mother and father's day stalls.  We also had dunk a teacher, that was very popular and plants for sale.

#8 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Ours has a footy throwing comp. Kids pay $1 for 3 throws and have to try and get it through a hole in the board. There's a target painted on it and they get 10 points for a clean throw though it, 8 for one that hits the rim or the first painted line, 5 for the next ring and so on. Depending on their age they have different throwing lines.

They make an absolute fortune from it because the top scorers in each age group win a prize which is handed out the next day and the kids keep coming back to try and beat their friends or re-win their spot at the top.

Another easy option is to hurt wet sponges at kids/teachers. Normally the line up for those things is huge. It costs nothing to run and the kids are more than happy to have a shift in the firing line.

#9 Puggle

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Something a few schools/daycare centres etc around here do is rent out stall spaces to local handmade/craft businesses. I've been approached a few times now at various markets to see if I'd be interested in having a stall at a fete. I've just agreed to do my first one and they are charging me $30 for the space and asking for goods to the value of $50 to raffle/auction off.

Edited by Puggle, 09 February 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#10 By the way

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Fetes are funny things.  You can spend hours on the net checking out groovy stalls and products and make it beautiful and its the dorky stuff that goes well.

I was on the committee too.  Can you tell? LOL.

Stalls that went crazy were the jars of stuff.  Each family at school used a jar (any size, totally up to them) and they filled it with something such as marbles, art and craft stuff, hair ties, whatever.  We had a box in each classroom and the kids just dropped them off and we collected them.  We were nuts and wanted to make them look fab so we then cut beautiful fabrics for the lids and covered them with the fabric and an elactic band (like old fashioned jam jars).  They looked great all stacked together.    On the back of the jar is a sticker with a number.  You pay $2 and pick a numered ticket out of a box and the corresponding jar is yours.  KIDS LOVE THEM!!!! They sold out in just over an hour.

Second hand clothes also made heaps and was super easy.  

Crafts were not that popular.  The only one that was super popular in that area was the shrinky dinks.  We had templates made that they simply traced with a black texta.  Coloured the picture in.  Gave it back to the adult who threw it into a toaster oven for two minutes, then onto a plastic string for a neklace or keychain.  We used really cool images like skateboarder silhouettes, skulls, babushkas, birds......so they had appeal to even the older kids.

If you have the space the other great event was the dogshow.  This was advertised so it brought in HEAPS of people that would not normally go to something like this.  We had a roped off area where they did their events.  You can also get a local vet or pet product company to sponsor the event.  Lots of $$$$ there.  If you have any connections within the school you can get a "celebrity judge".  

Is that enough?  I could go on for days...... still need therapy after it!!!!

Have fun with it  wink.gif

(PS Scarily the pet rocks that were made by a couple of the mums went like hotcakes.  Have no idea why but kids loved them)

Edited by By the way, 09 February 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#11 kez71

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

We always had lucky jars. This is loads of different sized jars each with something in them ranging from a few sweets , small toys etc to $5 and $10 notes. Each jar had a raffle ticket on it and after paying your money (usually $1 or $2) you pick a raffle ticket and win whatever is in that jar. The stall holder would open the jar and give you the contents and someone else would refill it and put it back on the table. Obviously there are more cheaper items than expensive ones to help cover costs.

#12 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

One fete I went to had a Tupperware display and taking orders with the 20% of sales going to the school..
Seemed to be popular

#13 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Puggle @ 09/02/2012, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something a few schools/daycare centres etc around here do is rent out stall spaces to local handmade/craft businesses. I've been approached a few times now at various markets to see if I'd be interested in having a stall at a fete. I've just agreed to do my first one and they are charging me $30 for the space and asking for goods to the value of $50 to raffle/auction off.

I'm actually against that as a fundraising concept. Kids are often given a set amount of money, so if they're buying all of the dodgy homemade jewellery and headbands/hairclips that are all the rage at the moment, it means that the money their parents have given them to spend at the fete, as a donation to the school, is actually just funnelled away into the pockes of the WAHMs.  

I don't let my kids buy anything from the private stalls at the fete, but I take at least a couple of hundred $$ with me when we go and let them do whatever they want providing that the proceeds go to the school.

ETA another thing that always went well when I was a kid was 'grassheads'. You get the foot of an old pair of pantihose, put a handful of grass seeds down the bottom, fill it up with dirt and tie a knot in it. Stick on some googly eyes. The idea is that as the grass grows the kids can cut their hair and stuff. They're pretty crap once you have them, but a great, cheap idea and they sell well.

Edited by CaptainOblivious, 09 February 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#14 Puggle

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (CaptainOblivious @ 09/02/2012, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm actually against that as a fundraising concept. Kids are often given a set amount of money, so if they're buying all of the dodgy homemade jewellery and headbands/hairclips that are all the rage at the moment, it means that the money their parents have given them to spend at the fete, as a donation to the school, is actually just funnelled away into the pockes of the WAHMs.  

I don't let my kids buy anything from the private stalls at the fete, but I take at least a couple of hundred $$ with me when we go and let them do whatever they want providing that the proceeds go to the school.

ETA another thing that always went well when I was a kid was 'grassheads'. You get the foot of an old pair of pantihose, put a handful of grass seeds down the bottom, fill it up with dirt and tie a knot in it. Stick on some googly eyes. The idea is that as the grass grows the kids can cut their hair and stuff. They're pretty crap once you have them, but a great, cheap idea and they sell well.

I can see your point but did laugh at the idea of what I sell as being 'dodgy'. They've vetted their stallholders very well, I believe, and have approached people who sell at the local boutique handmade market which actually attracts stallholders Australia-wide. My stuff is far from dodgy laughing2.gif

Last year I simply donated items (well over $100 worth) to their raffle, and didn't have a stall. Many of the items I donated sold for considerably more than I actually sell them for - a couple of them nearly 100% more. They did very well out of last year's donation from me and I am confident they will do so again this year.

Back to the topic at hand ...

#15 threetimesblessed

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Wristbands for rides and school gets a % depending on number of wristbands sold.

Showbags.

Plaster painting.

School gardening club sold potted plants and herbs $5-$10.

BBQ but before the fete each grade was asked to donate specific items eg. Kinder kids donate BBQ/Tomato sauce, year 1 donate serviettes, paper cups etc. This lessens the cost of what actually has to purchase.

Canteen operating as a cafe selling coffee/tea, cakes etc.

Students performing in dance groups, choir etc. Ensures the children and their families attend on the day.

Free attractions like police, fire brigade displays.

Student art show and pieces available to purchase.

Hampers to raffle or for sale. Again students donate items for the hampers eg. Baby items, pet items, jams and sauces, lolls and chocolates

#16 greengoddess

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (By the way @ 09/02/2012, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stalls that went crazy were the jars of stuff.  Each family at school used a jar (any size, totally up to them) and they filled it with something such as marbles, art and craft stuff, hair ties, whatever.  We had a box in each classroom and the kids just dropped them off and we collected them.  We were nuts and wanted to make them look fab so we then cut beautiful fabrics for the lids and covered them with the fabric and an elactic band (like old fashioned jam jars).  They looked great all stacked together.    On the back of the jar is a sticker with a number.  You pay $2 and pick a numered ticket out of a box and the corresponding jar is yours.  KIDS LOVE THEM!!!! They sold out in just over an hour.

I was going to suggest this - it's my most enduring memory of a school fete from when I was a kid. I won a lovely cut glass bottle filled to the rim with jaffas. It was honestly the BEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE (to date!).

#17 mumto3princesses

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (By the way @ 09/02/2012, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This!

But our school also had bottles of wine (obviously if a child had that ticket then they had to re-draw) and little packages of textas/note books etc, anything really. It was a huge hit.

#18 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (greengoddess @ 10/02/2012, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was going to suggest this - it's my most enduring memory of a school fete from when I was a kid. I won a lovely cut glass bottle filled to the rim with jaffas. It was honestly the BEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE (to date!).

Replace jaffas with strawberries and creams, and this is me!  

The only thing that was different is that rather than pull a ticket out of a hat, they had a board set up with painted numbered squares, and you had to throw your $2 coin onto a square, and where it landed, you got the corresponding jar.  That way, you could kind of trend towards which jar you wanted.

There was also another stall where there was something like a dart board (actually, this was the 80s, so it probably WAS a dart board ohmy.gif ) where parents could throw a dart and it you got the bulls eye you won a bottle of wine/box of chocolates.  It was a hit among the cocky dads trying to show each other up.  You would need to adapt it though, because I don't think darts would be allowed these days. Lol.  

Plant stalls are another great idea, especially if you have a keen gardener-parent who can help in advance to get some up to scratch.  Herbs in particular, and strawberry/tomato plants.  Growing them could even be a class activity?  I remember one year we did that at school - parents sent in empty margarine containers, and we painted them and then planted herb seeds, grew some parsley and mint, and then sold them at the fete a few weeks later.  

The cake stall at our local school fete is always a hit.  Particularly all the retro stuff a PP mentioned.  Chocolate crackles, honey joys, coconut ice, toffees/toffee apples.  Oh, and Nice biscuits with icing on them and "monster faces" (ie teeth lolly mouth, jaffa nose, Smartie eyes) were a huge hit with the kids.

#19 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

And lucky dips!!!

Get parents to donate stuff from the $2 shop. The kids decorate a bunch of brown paper bags and put things like a pencil and lollipop in each bag. Our school does 50c per dip and every kids has multiple goes at it.

Puggle, I wasn't meaning that your stuff was dodgy, but things like those headbands with a bit of ribbon gathered to look like a flower with a button sewn on cost virtually nothing to make (maybe 50cents each and take about 5 minutes) and they sell for anywhere between $4-10. That makes it dodgy to me.

I've actually bought 100 of the headbands (for $20) and probably $20 worth of ribbons/fabric in school colours and another $20 worth of coverable buttons and am planning on making them up for the school fete in October and donating them for them to sell at whatever price they want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.