What Are You Reading ATM #15

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
250 replies to this topic

#26 vanesa

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hi  biggrin.gif   I am a long time lurker coming out.  I love reading about what everyone else is reading.  When I am ready for a new book I come here for inspiration....

I really liked the hunger games.  I too got a bit confused about who was who in the beginning.  I know have my 2 boys reading it.  One of them has finished it and the other is up to book 2.  I am going to take them to see the movie when it comes out.

I have just finished reading A series of books by Patricia Briggs - The Mercy Thompson Series.  It was quite good.  A bit annoying that the same things (yet different circumstances happened over in each of the books) But I had to keep on reading until the end and now I have to wait until 2013 for the next one.

I have found 3 short novels from the same author so I am going to give those a go next.

Vanessa

#27 mamacantik

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

A few longer books lately mean that I've needed some shorter reads for now.

I read Midnight Zoo by Sonya Hartnett - by far the very best Young Adult fiction writer in Australia. I always enjoy her books as she doesn't talk down to teens and writes so beautifully. This book was no exception, except it was just too short.

While staying at a friend's house, dipped into Jon Faine's book (MElbourne radio presenter) about his travels by car from Melb - London with his son. Didn't expect him to write so well. Only read the first 100 pages, but will definitely be keen to read the rest soon.

Just finished Forecast: Turbulence by Janette Turner-Hospital. Great collection of Short Stories.

And now reading 'Ham on Rye' by Charles Bukowski. Semi autobiographic about growing up the unpopular kid in a rough neighbourhood. Sad but also incredibly funny. The sort of book you want to write down lots of quotes from to remember later. Great writing.

#28 Dirtsa

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Secrets of a Lazy French Cook by Marie Morgane Le Moël - about a French journalist's life and experiences when she moves to Australia. I've read a few books about Australians or Americans experiences moving to other countries and thought it would be interesting to get someone else's perspective of coming to Australia.

#29 netballgirls

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

I have started Stephen King's 11-22-63, it's my first Stephen King book (I don't like horror, and this one was classified as horror too but dh assured me that it wasn't)

I am enjoying it so much original.gif

#30 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'm reading Vows by La Vyrle Spencer.
It's total trash. But totally awesome! lol.

I <3 romance novels! lol

#31 mamacantik

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

'Ham On Rye' got darker and darker the further I read. Finished it now. Drained! Currently reading 'Starcrossed' by AA Gill. Needed something very light and it seems to be doing the trick :-)

#32 Peridot

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm reading Catching Fire (the 2nd book in the hunger games series)! Very addictive!!!

I have just ordered the Game of Thrones series from bookdepository (so so cheap!! $30 for the first 4 books!!) which I will start when I finish the hunger games trilogy!

#33 Ianthe

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Just finished Half Seven on a Thursday by Roisin Meany and I'm now reading How To Make Gravy by Paul Kelly which I would recommend to anyone who likes his music.

#34 AxeTheMax

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

At the moment: Elephant Girl: A Human Story, by Jane Devin

Before that was Out of time Deborah Truscott

Also to thank you for the threads on the fever series, read them and love them!!

#35 coffeetogo

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (DdDwMumMe @ 18/03/2012, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also to thank you for the threads on the fever series, read them and love them!!

I'm reading 'Wicked Lovely'.  It's a YA series and is very similar in theme to the Fever Series without the saucy scenes. I have almost finished the first book (out of 4) and have enjoyed it but it's not a case of 'I can't put it down'.

#36 If You Say So

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

About half way thru Catching Fire, and am enjoying it even more than Hunger Games.

Also about half way thru Unsinkable: the story of RMS Titanic, but have stopped this to read the HG trilogy. I want to get it finished by the 100th Anniversary next month.

#37 Tomate1910

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (If You Say So @ 19/03/2012, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About half way thru Catching Fire, and am enjoying it even more than Hunger Games.

same here... it's just really sucking me in and i can't wait for the busride home after work!

#38 71Cath

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Just started the Hunger Games, and I am enjoying it so far.

#39 Fanny McPhail

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Friends, Lovers, Chocolate By Alexander McCal Smith. Meh!

#40 Peridot

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

It's awesome how everyone is reading the hunger games!! I thought I started late laughing2.gif

I'll finish off Mockingjay tonight original.gif

Next I will read either Game of Thrones or Shiver by Maggie someone! Looks great!

#41 Ianthe

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

I am re reading The Hunger Games series laughing2.gif

#42 Molondy

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

I finally finished REAMDE which was worth the 8 week read. It was lots and lots of fun but it was a tad too long.

I'm currently reading Embassytown by China Meivelle and the Complete Guide to Women's running. And some comics...

#43 jaismum

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

The Hunger Games

#44 71Cath

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

I read the Hunger Games in 2 days and I am now onto Catching Fire.  Desperate to see the movie too  blush.gif

#45 jakc_

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

I'm reading Annexed by Sharon Dogar, it's diary style based on Anne Franks Diary about the boy who shared the Annexe with her.

#46 Peridot

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'm now reading 'Crescendo' which is the second book to 'Hush Hush' which I finished the other day original.gif

#47 Zarlias

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am smack in the middle of the Game of Thrones series...

Pesky life and sleep keep getting in the way.

As an aside.....looking forward to S2 on 10/4

#48 Tomate1910

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

on to Mockingjay (hunger games 3) now... And really enjoying it...

I can't help myself...

BUT for good measure I will read To kill a mockingbird afterwards as I have never read it and seem to need something serious after the fluff...

Edited by superfruity, 27 March 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#49 TwiceTheWoman

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I am !/2 way through "The Help" and am enjoying it so much.
- the arrogant segregation "rules" still gobsmacking today.
- moreover, a wonderful slice of a woman "stuck" between two generations; one emancipated, the other not.  Skeeter shackled by  unchanged conventions and the natural demands of being an educated woman.

I like the historical perspective.

Edited by TwiceTheWoman, 26 March 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#50 Hermes

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (Quartz @ 21/03/2012, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's awesome how everyone is reading the hunger games!! I thought I started late laughing2.gif

I'll finish off Mockingjay tonight original.gif

Next I will read either Game of Thrones or Shiver by Maggie someone! Looks great!

I can't say I liked Shiver, it wasn't awful but as I read through the series my interest dropped off to the point where I can't be bothered finishing the last book because it's just so boring..
I'm still reading Game Of Thrones, it's still excellent. I definitely recommend it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.