What Are You Reading ATM #15

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
250 replies to this topic

#51 ubermum

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

I am reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by  Haruki Murakami. I am in a book club and it's our current book. It's a work of fiction translated from Japanese. It reminds me of a freaky SBS movie. I don't know if I like it or hate it.

#52 peckingbird

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hi Ubermum, I read Wind Up Bird Chronicle years ago and failed to "get it" .. but I must admit, something about it has stuck with me and I've been thinking about giving it another go.  I would love to know what you think of it!

I've just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin.  Very engrossing but quite bleak.  I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

About to start The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, as I've never read it and it has been on my list for ages.  I bought it off Book Depository and it arrived today, weeeee!

#53 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Well I am reading the Hunger Games. My DH arranged with my Mum to look after the kids this Wednesday night and booked tickets to see this movie. So I thought I'd better read the book first and see what all the craze is about. I am actually (to my surprise) enjoying it. I didn't think I would like it but yet I cannot put it down.

#54 Tomate1910

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 26/03/2012, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by  Haruki Murakami. I am in a book club and it's our current book. It's a work of fiction translated from Japanese. It reminds me of a freaky SBS movie. I don't know if I like it or hate it.

I loved it... read it for a course in Uni and this was one of my favorite Murakamis ever... the cats, the wells, the freaky neighbor... Loved it!

#55 Ianthe

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (HART85 @ 26/03/2012, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am actually (to my surprise) enjoying it. I didn't think I would like it but yet I cannot put it down.

That was my reaction and I am my second read of them now.

#56 Thylacine

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I am reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by   Haruki Murakami. I am in a book club and it's our current book. It's a  work of fiction translated from Japanese. It reminds me of a freaky SBS  movie. I don't know if I like it or hate it.

Wind up bird is probably my favourite book ever! Also I really loved the Bell Jar but I lent it to a friend and she found it really depressing. I guess it depends on your frame of mind at the time.

I'm currently reading Skippy Dies, but can't really get into it. Has anyone else read it? Is it worth continuing?

#57 Winterlong

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I am reading We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver.  I only became aware of this book because of the recent movie - which I have not seen yet, although knowing Tilda Swinton is in it has influenced my picture of Eva.  A great book so far.

#58 K2010

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Tonight i finished "Wind in the Wires" by Joy Dettman which is the 4th book in the Woody Creek Series. I really love this series and think there will be a 5th original.gif

#59 Faith75

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hi all, just finished reading Revenge of the Dwarves by Markus Heitz - 3rd book in the Dwarves series. Looking forward to the last instalment mid year. Just getting into fantasy books after reading the game of thrones series- now starting the rift war series by Raymond E Feist

#60 franklet

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Tonight i finished "Wind in the Wires" by Joy Dettman which is the 4th book in the Woody Creek Series. I really love this series and think there will be a 5th
Just started it. I'm trying to read slowly because I love the series so much but hate waiting for the next one!

I just love all the characters. I miss them!

#61 Ianthe

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

The Things We Do For Love by Roisin Meany.

#62 crazyforkids

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hunger Games mockingjay. i have found these books very entertaining.

Edited by Catherine27, 06 April 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#63 Ianthe

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Death Comes To Pemberly by PD James.

#64 ~kerry~

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'm currently reading Feast for crows, book 4 in the Song of Ice and Fire series, but as another PP said, pesky life and sleep get in the way.
Does anyone else with an e-reader use this thread as a shopping list? As soon as I start reading the posts, I pick up my Kindle and start shopping original.gif

#65 Winterlong

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Yep churning through the Hunger Games series at a rate on one book a day. Started on Friday will finish Mockingjay tonight.  An easy and entertaining easter holiday read.

#66 *BluePinkie*

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (71Cath @ 26/03/2012, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read the Hunger Games in 2 days and I am now onto Catching Fire.  Desperate to see the movie too  blush.gif

So did I! Loved the first one, im now onto Catching fire. I can't wait to see the movie on Friday.

#67 coffeetogo

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (winterlong @ 08/04/2012, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep churning through the Hunger Games series at a rate on one book a day. Started on Friday will finish Mockingjay tonight. An easy and entertaining easter holiday read.

I'm really surprised that I'm finding the first one so hard to put down! I'm very happy to have found another good series. original.gif

#68 71Cath

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I am re-reading Harry Potter, all 7 of them!  I am up to number 4.  I splurged and bought them for the kindle from the Pottermore site.

#69 Bastet

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

In the past couple of weeks I have read the Hunger Games Trilogy and the Fifty Shades of Grey ones as well. From one extreme to another! Need to find a new series now though.

#70 coffeetogo

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Bastet @ 11/04/2012, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the past couple of weeks I have read the Hunger Games Trilogy and the Fifty Shades of Grey ones as well. From one extreme to another! Need to find a new series now though.

How were the Fifty Shades of Grey books?

#71 jojonbeanie

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Over the weekend I tried to read The comfort of water by Maya Ward but gave up as it was just too deep and meaningful for me. Too much navel gazing for my liking.

I won all of the Victorian titles shortlisted for the Our Story competition for National Year of Reading and this was one of them.

http://www.love2read.org.au/our-story.cfm#top

#72 Psiren

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm on holidays at the moment, so in the last week have read:
'The Hunger Games' trilogy
'Minimum of Two' (for work)
and am currently reading 'The Outsiders' (also for work) and 'Wyrd Sisters'.

#73 Bastet

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Fifty Shades of Grey! Well  ohmy.gif  tthumbs.gif  blush.gif Very umm full on. Most probably not the best written series but it didn't seem to stop me reading them. Good for a quick, sexy trashy type read. Lots of full on sex stuff though so if you are easily offended may not be the right book for you. I have read that the book rights have been sold for movies, can't really see how that would work as a lot woul dhave to be toned down or altered to get a reasonable rating.

#74 coffeetogo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Bastet @ 12/04/2012, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fifty Shades of Grey! Well ohmy.gif  tthumbs.gif  blush.gif Very umm full on. Most probably not the best written series but it didn't seem to stop me reading them. Good for a quick, sexy trashy type read. Lots of full on sex stuff though so if you are easily offended may not be the right book for you. I have read that the book rights have been sold for movies, can't really see how that would work as a lot woul dhave to be toned down or altered to get a reasonable rating.

Oh my! I must have a read... laughing2.gif

I looked it up online and some sites say it is really just like Twilight for adults. Was it that similar do you think?

#75 Molondy

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

11:22:63 by Stephen King. Excellent as always. The part set in Derry sent old "It" style shivers down my spine....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.