Anyone have a good sausage casserole or bake recipe please?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mmk

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

I've got some sausages that I want to make into a sausage casserole or sausage bake tomorrow night, preferably with carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, peas and potato.  

I was thinking of making a cheesy sauce and cutting up vegies to make a sausage pasta bake.  Another option is a casserole with the same sauce I make for spag bol, but I don't think the vegies would taste too good in that?

Any suggestions please?  It will probably have bacon added to whatever is suggested  tongue.gif

#2 Mrs Manager

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

what sort of sausages are they? Are they the star of the meal or cheap woolies type where you want to mask the flavour a bit?

#3 mmk

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Sorry, they're just el cheapo Coles ones.  Just the normal sawdust variety, nothing fancy  wink.gif

Edit double post

Edited by mmk, 18 February 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#4 Guest_Nyz31_*

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

I can't think of anything particular but what about if you did a variation of toad-in-the-hole? Perhaps lightly roast or steam your veges prior and then brown your sausages and then chuck them all in a baking dish and top it all with a yorkshire pudding mix?

#5 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

I wouldn't put it with a cheesy sauce, that would be so greasy and I'd probably have a stomach ache within about 15 minutes.

As revolting as it is, I'm a bit partial to curried sausages (my secret shame) but they'd probably be ok if you used a tomato and onion sort of sauce with it. I'd have the vegies separately though so it's not too much of a good thing. They had that sometimes when I was at boarding school and it was actually pretty tasty. You have to cook the sausages first and try and get rid of some of the fat or it's pretty gross.

#6 mmk

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Nyz31 @ 18/02/2012, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't think of anything particular but what about if you did a variation of toad-in-the-hole? Perhaps lightly roast or steam your veges prior and then brown your sausages and then chuck them all in a baking dish and top it all with a yorkshire pudding mix?

Maybe...  But I'll have to look up what yorkshire pudding mix is...  blush.gif   But thank you!

QUOTE (CaptainOblivious @ 18/02/2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't put it with a cheesy sauce, that would be so greasy and I'd probably have a stomach ache within about 15 minutes.

As revolting as it is, I'm a bit partial to curried sausages (my secret shame) but they'd probably be ok if you used a tomato and onion sort of sauce with it. I'd have the vegies separately though so it's not too much of a good thing. They had that sometimes when I was at boarding school and it was actually pretty tasty. You have to cook the sausages first and try and get rid of some of the fat or it's pretty gross.

Yeah, as much as I would love the grease, DH would hate it.  I didn't even think of that...

DS's favourite meal is curried sausages - and he had it tonight so he's not getting it tomorrow night!  He'd have it every night if I let him...  I think the separate vegies would be nicer with a tomato based sauce too - so another possiblity I didn't think of, thanks!

#7 mummy2amelia

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Sticky sausages:

Wrap sausages in bacon.  Put in baking dish.  Make up sauce with 2/3 cup BBQ sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and minced garlic (about 2 cloves), and some dried herbs if you have them.  Pour over sausages and bake.

You will have to have the veg steamed on the side with some mash.

#8 mmk

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (mummy2amelia @ 18/02/2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sticky sausages:

Wrap sausages in bacon.  Put in baking dish.  Make up sauce with 2/3 cup BBQ sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and minced garlic (about 2 cloves), and some dried herbs if you have them.  Pour over sausages and bake.

You will have to have the veg steamed on the side with some mash.

Ooooh!  Sounds yummy and it has bacon too!  Thank you!

I'll run it all by DH tomorrow and see what he would prefer.  Thanks ladies!

#9 gina70

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Here is an easy one:  http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19920/chea...sage+pasta+bake

#10 vanesa

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

I was going to suggest the sticky bacon sausages everyone here loves them  biggrin.gif   Also sausage rigatoni on taste is pretty good i grate carrot, zuchinni and also add diced capsicum.  

Ness

#11 babychacha

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Have the laptop next to me whilst I cook this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/great_sa...casserole_73010

So thought I would post here in case anyone else wants to try it.

Its my first attempt so not sure what it will be like but I have all the ingredients and it sounds good.

#12 bec230578

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

We like this one http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7618/sausage+casserole (I always add veg to it)

#13 twinboys

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

I do a version of this one
7 layer sausage casserole

I will also add a can of crushed tomatoes and whatever vegies I have that need to be used - potato, pumpkin, carrots, mushrooms, zucchinni plus the rice and put into layers.
I also add the rice.
I put raw sausages on top and for the last 15 mins put the cheese over it

#14 JLC

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7861/toad+in+the+hole

This is one of the toad in a hole recipes I have used.  My DH liked it

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.