blood pressure 160 over100

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Velvetta

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Last night I had my BP taken and it was 160 over 100, which apparently is moderately high. I think it may have been partly doctor anxiety but still... what next? Should I immediately change my diet and do yoga? No idea how to handle this.

#2 KNL909

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

What did your Dr say/suggest?

#3 geckosrule

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Firstly, if you are pregnant that needs to be carefully monitored and I suggest you see a GP ASAP.

Secondly, if you are not pregnant, I would monitor your BP over a few days to see if it changes.  The top number - the 160 - isn't the problem (systolic), it's the bottom number - the 100 - (diastolic) that the concern.

A healthy diet and regulars exercise will help but I would see a doctor because there could be an underlying problem causing your high Blood pressure.

#4 Velvetta

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

not pregnant, dr said to have it done again in a week. I'm pretty healthy otherwise but I am 20kg overweight

#5 Luxe

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

You can hire bp monitors from pharmacies if your concerned being in a doctors office makes you anxious and therefor raises your bp.

I have white coat hypertension. At the doctors office it is very much like your bp. At home I've had as low as 115/75

#6 MintyBiscuit

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

can't help a lot with what to do if it is high, but I get doctor anxiety too which always pushes it up. my doctor now doesn't take my BP at the start of a consult, but instead waits until the end so we discuss any other issues etc and it's almost an afterthought. it seems to help a bit - at one appointment it was 140/95 when he first took it, then dropped to 120/80 by the end

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

160/100 is not moderately high in a young person, it is concerningly high.
White coat hypertension can account for a high systolic reading but generally not for the diastolic.

I would be making another appointment in the near future and have it checked again and go from there. The BP machines you can buy at chemists are notoriously inaccurate and wouldn't use them as a guide to what your BP is actually doing.

Edited by soontobegran, 03 March 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#8 4kidlets

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

sometimes if they want to see what it is at home, you can be connected to a halter monitor for 24 hours and takes BP readings over a 24 hour period in your life outside the surgery.

I agree that 160/100 is more than a moderately high level.

#9 triangle

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

yep that is high for a young/fit/healthy person with no underlying medical problems. Even with medical problems it needs to be controlled to be managed under that level.

Hopefully when you go back to GP they take it manually not with an automatic machine.

Weight loss of 4.5kg can = 10% reduction in BP (obviously not in 1 week)

Other tips, reduce intake of any added salt in processed/prepared/packaged foods (naturally occuring salt in your fresh fruit/veg/meat is fine), it makes you retain fluid elevating BP levels.

regular exercise, drink enough water, reducing stress levels, medications if prescribed by gp

#10 Mianta

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

I agree with STBG (again). That is a fairly concerning BP. I would be getting a second opinion. I had a BP at that level and higher (got to 230/125 at one stage) and was diagnosed with Conns Syndrome, which is when your adrenal gland produces too much aldosterone and throws out your electrolytes and raises BP. I had to be medicated on two anti hypertensives and one potassium supplement before getting surgery which resolved my problem.

I would be at very least getting you BP checked and maybe some bloods done.

#11 .Jerry.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

I regularly get readings like that.  I have a home monitor that my doctor has checked (calibrated) against the surgery readings and I have taken it to a pharmacy to check the calibration.  Most of the newer machines are pretty accurate.  I recommend buying or hiring a monitor and doing regular checks over a week or so.  There are some great smartphone apps to track BP and print out graphs etc.

Whilst I sometimes get high readings, I also sometimes get more normal readings.  I average around 140/90, so my doctors haven't medicated me at this stage.
I have had two 24 hr monitor checks and my BP is very up and down through the day.

You definitely should keep an eye on it.
One random reading does not necessarily  mean a big issue though.

#12 Feral Mozzie

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

I get readings like that, and higher, at the Dr. I am terrified of having my BP taken though.

I had a 24 hour monitor done, and averaged 128/87, which given I still had anxiety about having my BP taken wasn't too bad. The Dr did decide to medicate me anyway though.

Whilst that is high, BP can be affected n the short term by a range of factors, so one high reading doesn't necessarily mean much. The problem is when that one reading makes you anxious about the next one, and it remains high.

As others have said, eating less salt, drinking enough water and exercise can all help. But try not to worry too much until you go back next week.

#13 JJ

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I recently had mine taken and it was 140/110 - highest reading I've ever had! My blood pressure tends to be normal to low.

However, it was shortly after I'd walked to the doctor's surgery (brisk 10 minute walk), and I was also feeling anxious. He did mention white coat hypertension. He took it again about 20 minutes later and it had gone down to 110/90, which is about normal for me.

I guess long story short, I would make sure you've been sitting down for a while before having it checked again - I think way back in the day when I did nursing we were taught that the patient had to sit or lie down for 20 to 30 minutes before an accurate reading could be obtained. I don't know if that's still the current wisdom, and I know it's not always practical and possible, but it does make sense.

#14 Velvetta

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

I had a home visit with the Dr bringing the results of my blood test for glandular fever and liver function, so I was anxious for about 3 hours before he arrived!
I was clear for glandular fever thank goodness but my liver ALT was 100 which is not so good and then he did the blood pressure, so I was almost hyperventilating by then!
It's funny I've been thinking maybe it was ,high recently because I get quite stressed and angry in my head, just full of worries and concerns and things to be done and I feel my face flush.
I'm 42, 5 children and a job so life isn't plain sailing, but I'm pretty healthy I think. I exerxise, drink water (and wine - too much of that!), and have a pretty good diet, though I do like salty food more than sweet.
Yeah, well, we'll see.

#15 chat

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I went through all of this last year. My dr ordered a couple of 24 hour tests and my bp was high when I was sleeping too. For a few years I had recorded high bp when I visited the dr but we would laugh it off because I would usually have 4 kids with me. Turns out I have right kidney failure. I would keep an eye on it :-) I will now be on medication for the rest of my life to control it which kind of sucks.

Edited by chat, 03 March 2012 - 04:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.