How long did it take to TT your son?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BlondieUK

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

DS2 is three, and I am biting the bullet on toilet training. We delayed until now as we were moving and didn't think it was fair to TT and then move (twice), and then we tried just after Christmas, but he got sick.

So, Day #1 is today.

My question is - how long did it take you until your child was getting the hang of it?

#2 HoneyMurcott

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

DS1 trained at 2 years 7 months. Took about 24 hours. Given it was so easy I think we should have tried months earlier but as he was our first child I was busy over thinking the whole thing.

DD trained at 24 months. Took about 7 days.

DS2 trained at 2 years 5 months. Took about 2 weeks.

Edited by HoneyMurcott, 08 March 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#3 EssentialBludger

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

We're on day 2. I can see it taking a loooong time. We went cold turkey with the nappies yesterday. One wee in the toilet, and about 15 on the floor. blink.gif I'm going to try for 3-4 days and then give up for awhile if he's not ready.

#4 lizzzard

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

We TTed in about 3-4 days first time around at about 3 years...unfortunately shortly afterwards I went away for a work trip and he ended up back in nappies again.

DS is now 3.5 years and we're on day 3. This time we've gone cold turkey - undies, no pull-ups. He's had 3-4 accidents per day and a few pees on the toilet...I'm guessing it will take us about a week this time.

#5 lafonda

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

23.5 months, and took about 5 minutes, if that, went cold turkey on nappies day and night, and voila.

#6 Matthias' mum

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

DS was 2 and 2 months. We went straight to underpants. It was about 2 days of taking him to the toilet about every 45 min, and then making a big song and dance if he went in the potty. He had a few accidents, but it was mainly he'd start to go in his pants, realise what he was doing, and then stop and tell me he needed to go. We only used pull ups for a long car ride or for naps. If we went out walking or for lunch he wore undies. All up it took about 5 days ,to stay dry all day but he had the occasional accident (maybe a couple of times a week)for a few weeks after that. I was almost going to give up on day 4, but didn't, and the next day, something clicked and he was fine.

Nap times took longer - it was probably about 2 months before he woke up dry all the time. Overnight it was about 3 months. He did have a few weeks of saving his poos until he had the nappy on, so we introduced a reward if he went in the potty (one marshmallow). He still wears a nappy to bed, but to be honest, he hasn't wet over night for about 6 weeks - I am just too chicken to get rid of it completely because he sometimes sleeps with me.

He is now 2 and 7 months.

It helped that I let him choose his own undies, because he was very excited about wearing them, and knew he could only wear them if he used the toilet.

#7 sophiasmum

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

He was 3 yrs 2 mths (started showing interest at age 3 but DD2 was just born so we delayed). So given he was ready a couple months before we tried, he took to it very quickly. And within about 2 mths he night trained himself too.

#8 Fabulous

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Both of my sons took less than a week to TT, same with my daughters. Once they are ready to TT it normally happens pretty quickly.

#9 Guest_Hoggle_*

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

DS was 2 and 2 months. He was completely out of nappies in two days and only the odd rare accident after that.

#10 **Xena**

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Both boys were about 3.5. I waited until they could tell me when they needed to go to the toilet and took an interest in trying the potty. Both boys were day and night trained within a week with only a couple of accidents original.gif

#11 IsolaBella

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

DS1 was 3.25yrs.

Day 1-2 piddle everywhere  (on Day 2 I worked out his 'currency' promised toy of his choice if he was dry)
Day 3-4 realised he needed to go but sometimes did not get his pants down in time
Day 5 totally dry

Drove Melb-Syd 2wks later. He had the same pee stops as DH and I. Also although I still put pull ups at night on for the next 2m he never wet them, so was dry overnight too.

DS2 also 3.25yrs

Same routine as DS1 (ie dry by day 5). His 'currency' was a chocolate smartie for each wee in the toilet.

Unfortunately DS2 refused to do a poo on the toilet. This was 6m of pooey undies for me. Then suddenly one day it clicked for him. He was also always dry overnight.

#12 tothebeach

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Both my boys got undies for their second birthday and didn't wear nappies during the daytime again.  It took a couple of days for them to be reliable - though there were still occassional accidents now and then.  DS1 night trained simultaneously.  DS2 was still having milk at night so we waited till we had cut that out.

#13 Laam

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

At 2yrs 5 months he declared he didn't want nappes, I told him he could wear undies (he was given buzz light year ones for Christmas a few weeks earlier) if he did all his wees and poos on the toilet. Went cold turkey into undies day and night had about 3-4 accidents in the first week.  day and night trained at the same time.

#14 babatjie

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

DS toilet trained at 23 months. It clicked straight away. Going out with underwear on took a couple of weeks, he is bare bottomed at home. Has less than one accident a week now, a month and a half later. And he will consistently tell me he needs to go.

We travelled to Sydney by plane for a weekend, within the first two weeks of starting. Not a single accident, and he can hold for as longs as we can.

He doesn't wear a nappy for daysleeps and he is dry most nights, but I still put him in a nappy.

I think, when they are ready, it should be easy.

Edited by babatjie, 09 March 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#15 BlondieUK

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

So far:
Day #1 - 6 accidents
Day #2 - 5 accidents
Day #3 - 4 accidents
Day #4 (today) - two accidents

But....no wees on the potty, either. Which means he is holding it longer, and releasing it in his nappy (which he has for naps/nights) or the bath etc. He is mostly going to sit on the toilet ok, but not doing anything once we get there............not telling us when he needs to go either, but we do suspect that he has some language/communications issues.

#16 3_for_me

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Well the fact that he is holding it is good, atleast that means that once you get him going he should be able to hold it between loo breaks.

DS1 was a nightmare and took many, many months whereas DS2 was fully trained in a week and night trained a few weeks later< DD was the same so they are all different.  DS1 has ASD so we didn't expect it to be super easy with him.

#17 Kay1

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Ds1 was 3.5 years. I pushed it as he wasn't interested. Took 3 days, day, nights everything in one go. original.gif Never had an accident after that.

DS2 was also 3.5 years. He was showing some interest. Weeks of accidents. I gave it a rest and then tried again. Still took a couple of weeks of accidents....very frustrating. He eventually got it one day and never has accidents. Still needs a nappy at night though.

I think it sounds like you are doing well. He needs to learn the sensation of how to let go on the potty. I found getting them to sit while the shower ran did the trick. original.gif or let them water the garden with a hose in the nude with potty on hand.original.gif

#18 mayahlb

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

3 day at a guess. I attempted to TT him and he just refused and would pee on the floor and various items on purpose, so I would just give him the option of undies or nappies every time I changed him. One day it just clicked  and that was it no nappies expect at night and then 2 weeks later he woke me up to turn the light on for the toilet and has been out of nappies since. He was about 3 weeks off 3. When people ask me how I TT him to be honest I didn't really do anything. But I did find I had to do something that worked with his personality, he is very stubborn and unless it is his idea or he works something out himself he just refuses to do things. I'm trying to get my youngest familiar with the toilet at the moment in the hop TT might be earlier.

ETA: I didn't use pull-ups after trying them once as they just confused him. The best thing I found for not making as much mess was the padded training pants from best and less, they are not waterproof but they are padded so that they absorb more liquid and let them feel wet while not making a huge puddle on the floor

Edited by mayahlb, 11 March 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#19 soontobegran

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

I honestly don't remember actively TT most of our kids but I do remember once they started showing readiness it was over with in the space of a couple of days.
I do know that at 19 months our DD4 started pulling off her nappy and wanting to go to the potty which we let her do although not confident that she was ready as she was still heavily wet after sleeps. She wore undies during the day and a nappy at night. She stayed dry and pee'd in the potty for about 3 weeks or so then suddenly she wanted nappies again and started wetting them.
We put her back in nappies and she wasn't out of them for another 4 months (daytime only)
I think if you can catch them when they are ready and not when we think they might be it seems to happen so much faster.

Good luck, it sounds as though he is doing well.

#20 roses99

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

It was very quick once I finally got over myself and just put him in undies. He was 2.5 years old and already familiar with the toilet (as in, we'd just occasionally sat him on it from 18 months, and he'd occasionally, accidentally do something while sitting there).

We had a couple accidents, but really not that many. The thing that helped for us, was that I just put him in undies and a t-shirt, but didn't bother with shorts. That meant we could get to the toilet quickly!

Once we'd mastered things at home, it still took me a few months before I was brave enough to venture out without a nappy. But again, I got over myself and realised that I was confusing him by doing nappies out and undies at home.

Funnily enough, I remember saying to the daycare carers that DS was toilet trained now, so I'd like to try ditching the nappies. They just said, "Oh, he's been going to the toilet fine for weeks now".

#21 *Mumma-to-A*

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Just before he turned 3. Took less than 5 days and we went straight for the toilet as there was no interest in the potty at all.

I hesitated probably too long on the night training and just before christmas decided why on earth was I putting night nappies on when he was dry so just went without and had our very first accident last night (so 4 months) but he has been unwell.

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

#22 mumandboys

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

DS1 - years (no I am not kidding) - started at 2.5yrs, I believe a combination of him having no idea what we were trying to do, and us being new parents and completely confusing him by chopping and changing strategies way too often.

DS2 - about 3 weeks - he started training himself, around 2yrs

DS3 - about 6 weeks - started at 3 years 7 months (no interest from him before this age)

DS4 - can stay in nappies forever if he wishes as I've learned it's not worth the grief if they're not ready original.gif

ETA: DS4 can say "wee wee", and I sit him on the toilet every night before his bath, sometimes he does something, other times he doesn't, it's all very casual and stress free, but probably a good precursor to get him used to the toilet, and an opportunity to teach him what "wee" is.

Edited by mumandboys, 11 March 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#23 tanyak1

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

We started trying with DS when he was about 2 1/2. On and off for about 6 months, he had no idea - until he was 3 and 1 month, and in a couple of days it 'clicked' and he's been great since.

#24 Wahwah

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

2yrs 5m here, using the toilet as there was zero interest in the potty once we took nappies off. We had been sitting on the potty at bath time for a month or some before we completely ditched the nappies.

We went cold turkey on a Friday, he was dry by Monday, with only a few accidents in between.

Night training was another story. We didn't even try to take off the night nappy for another year.

(And all this led me to the belief that his sister would be even easier but boy I was wrong. She didn't want TT until she felt like. We tried to encourage her from about 2y5m as it worked for her brother but gave up. It had to be entirely her choice for it it work. Then on her third birthday, she woke up and said I don't want to wear a nappy any more, and that was it, we had 2 accidents from memory, both on the carpet!).

Edited by Wahwah, 11 March 2012 - 02:12 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.