TMX Buddies #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

#1 Freckles

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

New thread time folks. Old thread is here.

#2 ~Sorceress~

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

And how cold are mornings in Canberra now? Cold enough that I had to mix on 37 degrees to get my cake to mix properly! ohmy.gif

#3 *Caro*

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

It sure is cold in the mornings - cold enough for thermomix porridge for breakfast wink.gif

#4 hubble

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Anyone worked out a way to stop the porridge creating a bowl cleaning nightmare??  I love porridge, but the bowl cleaning puts me off!

#5 *Caro*

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I prefer cleaning the thermomix bowl to cleaning the saucepan! Hate doing it on the stovetop.  I don't find it too bad - just whizz some water in it and then give it a slosh with the cleaning brush.  I think the key is doing it as soon as the porridge is cooked - if you leave it too long, it sets like glue.

#6 IamzFeralz

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm looking forward to cooking porridge in the morning too.  Not quite cold enough yet in Sydney, maybe a couple of weeks?

#7 ubermum

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

I always put some water in the bowl as soon as I have served the porridge and give it a good whizz. Usually we are running out the door and when I give it a brush later it cleans up fine.

#8 credence

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

I actually won a thermomix about a month ago and I have been using it every day.

Initially, I wasn't convinced. I thought, yeah, but I can do all this without the thermomix.

Slowly I have been working my way through various recipes and I've got to say, it's got a hold of me. I'm addicted! I'm searching for more things to make all the time!

Now I understand the evangelism. I get it. I used to think it was because everyone paid 2K for their machines, they had to be enthusiastic to justify paying that much. Well I didn't pay a cent and I get it! This thing is the most amazing kitchen appliance ever.

#9 Colleer

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Congratulations Credence!  Wow what a win!  Was that through Lighthouse flours or Family Circle magazine?

As a TMX owner (and consultant) it always sounds biased when I say just how good it is, and almost how addictive it is, so it is lovely to hear your opinion as well  biggrin.gif

#10 ~Sorceress~

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

Oh you WON a TMX! You lucky lucky ducky! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I enter competitions for TMX because I'd like a second one  ph34r.gif

I don't have a problem with porridge sticking so long as I cook at 90 and keep it moving at reverse 2-3 original.gif . I pop it straight into the Thermoserver to keep warm because my family tend to come to the table in dribs and drabs rolleyes.gif .

#11 kaishra

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hi guys, I didn't know this group was here, I've been slack on not on eb much lately too.

We've had our tmx for 3 years and as dh does the cooking he uses it lots but i've just started sitting down with the cook books again and going through them so have been using it a lot more lately, otherwise I just use it to boil eggs, cook rice and make porridge! lol

#12 *Caro*

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

Has anyone tried increasing the volume of porridge (compared to the recipe in EDC)?  We can devour that amount between 3 of us!

#13 credence

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Congratulations Credence! Wow what a win! Was that through Lighthouse flours or Family Circle magazine?

Neither, I came second in a recipe competition on taste.com.au.

I'm so glad that I didn't come first, I think it was a holiday to Bali. This is the gift that will keep on giving I believe.

#14 Red Cabbage

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hahah! I would have hoped for second prize too.

Congrats!

#15 ~Sorceress~

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Caro, I just cook 1 mug oats/ 2 mugs water / pinch sea salt according to the numbers eating & adjust the cooking length. original.gif. I never blitz the oats first because I find that makes it a bit too gluey.

#16 upstyledown

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

I need to starting getting back on EB more often, I'm missing whole threads.

Which parts am I able to put into the dish washer? I'm finding the handwashing a bit annoying... yes I'm lazy lol.

I was also told I can put it all in the dishwasher. I don't put the jug in anymore, as the one and only time I did my scales stopped working and it had to get sent back. Not sure if it was a coincidence but I'm not willing to test it again.

I recently bought For Foods Sake by Tenina Holder. It was a bit pricey (I think I paid $50 for it), but it has some really yummy recipes in it. We've been experimenting with quite a few of them over the last couple of weeks.

Our new favourite receipe is the Short Notice Slice (found the recipe on the forums). We change it around each time we make it though, sometimes we add choc chips, other times mixed fruit, last week we added lemon rind to the slice and then made lemon icing and made it lemon slice. It's so versatile and the kids demolish it. It's so quick and easy as well.

#17 kaishra

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Caro, there's 7 of us and on a school morning 6 of us eating porridge.  Hubby tweaked the recipe a while ago but I can't find where he wrote it down, I think it was 600ml milk/water (I've done up to about 800) but I can't remember the oats amt, could have been 160. I'm about to start making it again so I'd better remember lol

#18 ishouldbeworking

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Was just reading through this thread - I'm a thermy addict too!!
I do porridge for DH every morning - he eats 70g oats, and I mix with one part oats to 4 parts liquid (eg 70g oats to 280 g liquid - mixture of water n milk).

If the kids and I were having porridge we'd have 50g oats (again with one part oats to 4 parts liquid).

i've been making Hot X Buns for the last few days - three dozen I've made (and we've nearly eaten all of them!) in the last three days!!

Amanda

#19 hubble

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

I've just been making Hot Cross Buns too - they are so easy, and so good!  I find the piping mixture made enough for 3 batches, but I make the glaze fresh every batch. I've used the cranberries in most, but done a mix of cranberries, sultanas and currants in others.  They got voted best ever at playgroup today!!

I think maybe blitzing the oats is what's making my porridge so gloopy and sticking to the bottom of the bowl.  I know I should just clean it straight away, but sometimes breakfast can be bedlam here!

Edited by hubble, 29 March 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#20 ELH05

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Ladies who cook Porridge - have any of you used Steel Cut Oats ?  SCO take longer to cook but I dont know quantities etc
To make it.

#21 upstyledown

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm sure you girls will feel my pain. My butterfly attachment has gone walkabout sad.gif

I didn't realise how much I loved it til I haven't been able to find it.

#22 ~Sorceress~

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Oh that's sad sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif  .We use it all the time for fruit ice creams and mashed potato. I hope you find it soon!

How much is a replacement? original.gif

#23 ubermum

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

I use 1 part oats and 4 parts liquid too. I usually don't use the scales for porridge, but use a 1/3 cup measure because mostly it is only for me. I blitz some dried apricots and raw almonds first to go in the porridge. I use Quaker oats which are whole rolled oats and I never blitz them, they come in 4.5kg packet from Costco and are cheap at around $11. Porridge is better with whole oats. I often put some sultanas and nutmeg in too, because I like how the sultanas cook and swell up.

As soon as I dish up the porridge, I fill the jug with water. That way it only needs a blitz and a brush later and it's clean.

#24 *LucyE*

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

I made lasagne with DS for the first time in years. DH and DD were away so I was planning on just buying a lasagne to reheat and serve. My 2 regular delis were both out of lasagnes and DS had his heart set on it for dinner.

I bought some mince and a box of sheets and decided to make our own. I did the meat sauce on the stove top using a Napoli sauce DH had made in the TMX and froze. DS made the bechmel sauce in the TMX and then layered it. I forgot how good home made is original.gif

#25 Strawberries

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

hello, first post in here, but as for the oats question... i hate cleaning! i hope someone has hints! i have put thermie in the d/w twice now and it cleans up good, with no damage.

but when i do, i make a big batch for my hungry hoard. 260-300g oats (not quick) and 1000-1200g milk (can use milk/water too). makes good apple and oat muffins if there's any left over!

cheers,
Amy

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.