From my bookshelf … What Children’s Books are on your “must have” list?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#26 libbylu

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Where is the Green Sheep was a huge favourite of mine and DS too as a baby.  In fact, his first words were star and moon from me reading that book so many times!
He also really loved 'Peepo' by Janet and Allen Ahlberg.

A gorgeous recent book by Graeme Base is the legend of the Golden Snail - perfect for the 3-6 age group DS loves it to bits.

As a primary age child he is loving the Roald Dahl books - they are fabulous and hardly dated (a tiny bit sexist here and there).  We bought the 15 book box set and have read all but two , which are for older kids.

#27 Studybug

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Where is the Green Sheep is loved by DS (2).

Kisses for Daddy is also a favourite as are Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, and of course The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Dr Suess, especially The Lorax.

Grug books.

We've got a ton of other books that I can't think of right now, but the above are the ones that DS recites continuously from having heard them so often.  In fact, he's in bed and we've just listened to his recent favourite thing to do which is label everything in the room to the tune of Brown Bear, Brown Bear.  Eg. Door, Door what do you see?  I see a light looking at me.  Light, light what do you see?  I see a fan looking at me.  Fan, etc, etc.  Funny stuff and must really help with his memory as he then goes on to do for the bathroom and then spells his name. (N, N what do you see?  I see O looking at me, blah blah very cute).  Anyway, we've been thinking of starting with Audiobooks so since The Magic Faraway Tree comes recommended we'll get that and see how we go.

cheers.

#28 EBeditor

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

I am a huge Julia Donaldson fan too. I think the Whale and the Snail is my favourite after the Gruffalo.

DD loves Time for Bed by Mem Fox.

#29 Fairey

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Great thread!

Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney (I have the picture book... but just recently bought it as a board book as well for the bubba  blush.gif )

Time for Bed - Mem Fox (again have the picture book and recently purchased it as a board book aswell!)

Ten Little Fingers, Ten Little Toes - Mem Fox (yet to buy as a board book)

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle (again another future board book purchase!)

Where the Wild Things Are

Each Peach Pear Plum

Twinkle - Nick Bland

Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley - Aaron Blabley (it's beautiful!)

loved

The Paper Bag Princess (that princess was so cool... and Ronald really was a toad!)

I remember something called 5 Minutes Peace.... my mum loved that book!!

Koala Lou

Wombat Stew

I'm also a huge Harry Potter fan  biggrin.gif  My kidlets will know Harry...

Too many other books to think of at the moment!!

#30 Kylie Orr

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

The Whale and the Snail

Yes, another of our favourites too. A beautiful book and story.

Forgot to mention, "Walter the Farting Dog" series. Nothing like a bit of toilet humour to get a laugh and the illustrations have a hidden spider on each page which my kids love tracking down.

#31 babycat

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

For me it has to be Corduroy, was my favourite book when I was a child and I still love it.
Also the Little Wombat series (Sometimes I like to Curl Up In A Ball/Found You Little Wombat)
Guess How Much I Love You
Me and My Mum/Me and My Dad
The Humphrey books - cant remember the titles but about a toy elephant and his friends the sheep and teddy.

#32 randallp7

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I don’t believe you can ever have too many books. That being said, I have read my fair share of children’s books and amongst the electrifying beauty of many

#33 bark

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

I actually do NOt like the Dr seuss books.

However any by Pamela Allen, Mem Fox, Eric Carle or Giles Andrae are wonderful.

#34 globalgirl

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

We love the Giles Andreae books like (previously mentioned) Giraffes Can't Dance and also Chimpanzees of Happy Town - a lot of fun to read with great illustrations are others of his including Rumble in the Jungle, The Lion Who Wanted to Love, Commotion in the Ocean etc.  They just have a nice flow to them.

The Very Cranky Bear by Nick Bland - always make me think warm happy thoughts about kind and thoughtful sheep original.gif

Dear Zoo and Aussie Animals by Rod Campbell are enjoyable reads for littlies with flaps.

Big fans of Seuss books including Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham (we used this one from very early on to teach good eating habits ie if you just try it, you might find you like it more than you thought you would), I Wish that I had Duck Feet, If I Ran the Circus (although this one is most definitely rated A+ for tongue-twisters!)

Magic Beach (so soothing and rhythmical) and Are We There Yet? by Alison Lester (the latter hopefully inspiring a family trip around Australia one day)

#35 TwinkyBear

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

The Big Night Night Book by Georgie Birkett

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch - this has me in tears every time.

#36 claptrap

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

When DS was smaller we particularly enjoyed many of the Walker books - but especially "What use is a Moose?".

And if you want a real classic don't forget "Harry the Dirty Dog!"

#37 andieinvic

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Some of our favs are (girls in school now, but they still get dragged out now and then for a bedtime story);

Room on the broom - Julia Donalson

Dougal the garbage dump bear - Matt Dray

Sometimes I like to curl up in a ball - Vicki Churchill

#38 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Winnie the Pooh yet!

We have a version of The Gruffalo that has buttons that make sounds, 2yo DD2 loves this.

But their favourite books are the ones that are on the top shelf that they know they're not allowed to touch. Those are the ones that belonged to me and DH as children. The absolute favourite is my old Lady and the Tramp, followed closely by Umphy Elephant - Window Cleaner.

We also love a series of young childrens' books which my parents brought back when they visited the UK, featuring twins called Topsy and Tim and with themes that preschool and early primary kids would come across in their everyday lives (eg, learning to swim, bullies, lice, new babies, builders, meeting firefighters etc).

#39 Pretz

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Enid Blyton. I loved the Magic Faraway tree series as well as naughty Amelia Jane.

#40 archygrouseferal

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 31/03/2012, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Winnie the Pooh yet!

I would never have guessed you might be a Pooh fan  biggrin.gif

AA Milne was required reading in this house. Though the boys are mid-teens + we still play Poohsticks.  We also test to see if there's cheese at the bottom of something we like.

Other books:

Princess Smartypants series and Prince Cinders by Babette Cole - brilliantly subversive versions of classic fairlytales

Mog the Forgetful Cat

Dr Xargle's Book of ... (esp. Earth Tiggers!)

Cat's Whiskers

The Church Mice series Graham Oakley

Tove Janssen Moomin books.

#41 mokeydoke

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

My, I mean their favourites wink.gif that haven't been mentioned -

The big wide mouthed frog

Marvin wanted more

Dr Seuss hop on pop

Paul jennings' rascal the dragon series

#42 jojonbeanie

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (globalgirl @ 31/03/2012, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Very Cranky Bear by Nick Bland - always make me think warm happy thoughts about kind and thoughtful sheep original.gif

The Very Cranky Bear is the book chosen this year for National Simultaneous Storytime. NSS is when kids all around Australia read the same book, at the same time, on the same day.

http://www.alia.org.au/nss/about.html

#43 Expelliarmus

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Anyone mention Alison Lester and Jeannie Baker yet?

Must. Haves. original.gif

#44 wfhm

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

All the ones the OP mentioned, plus anything by Graeme Base and Mem Fox.

Also love Beatrix Potter and A.A Milne (of course!).

For slightly older kids, you can't go past Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl.

#45 Aquarium

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day  - excellent to read to 4+

Hattie and the Fox - great for 1+

Rascal the Dragon series

Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!

#46 4joys

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 29/03/2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a huge Julia Donaldson fan too. I think the Whale and the Snail is my favourite after the Gruffalo.

DD loves Time for Bed by Mem Fox.

Yep, another Snail and the Whale fan here - a gorgeous book. Monkey Puzzle is another great Julia Donaldson book.

"Svens Bridge" by Anita Lobel is great too

My kids are loving Anamalia at the moment too.

#47 Clever Clogs

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

'I want my hat back' - our new favourite! We also love 'caps for sale' and 'meg and mog'.

#48 PigNewton

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Some good books here...
When it comes to Maurice Sendak, DS and I much prefer "In the Night Kitchen" over "where the wild things are" Fantastic evocative illustrations and beautiful rhythmic text, it's a shame it's not as well known.
"Kisses for Daddy" is a favourite book here too, as is just about anything by Eric Carle, current favourites being "The very busy spider" which has a raised spiderweb that the child can feel on the page, and also "the Grumpy Ladybird" which lets you do lots of funny voices.
We also recently were given a Mr Men omnibus, and DS particularly likes "Mr Tickle" which I think was a fave of mine as well.
Pamela Allen is always good, "Grandpa and Thomas" is the one of hers that we like the most (I gave it to my dad for Father's Day and he reads it to DS, changing it to Grandpa and Owen.

#49 aluminium

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Kylie Orr @ 29/03/2012, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[*]"Blueberry Girl" by Neil Gaiman - a book all women should read, and one we should all read to our daughters. It is a book I wish I had written. Just gorgeous.

I adore this book! I bought my daughters a copy each. My eldest DD, nearly four, can recite the entire thing. It really does contain every good sentiment. And I love that it was written for his friend (Tori Amos and her daughter Natashya). wub.gif

We love a lot of the OP's list. I also like (Edward and) Edwina the Emu. Yeek!
original.gif

#50 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

We love loads already mentioned and I now have a few new ones to loook for!

Not sure if it's already mentioned but my kids currently love
Stellaluna by Janell Cannon.

Edited by humphreymum, 03 April 2012 - 09:16 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.