Cryptic clues needed for Easter egg hunt

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Girl

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Hi,

We are holding an Easter egg hunt and one of the guests loves cryptic crosswords so I thought we could give her some cryptic clues about where to look. I don't have the brain to do this, can anyone help me?

I need cryptic clues to describe about 2 of the following ideas:

- on top of the hot water service at the side of the house;
- hanging from the lemon tree in the back yard;
- in the disused baby bath in the back yard;
- at the top of the slippery slide in the back yard;
- in DS' red tricyle;
- hanging from the green side gate.

I would be so grateful for any help.

#2 *-*

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Not much help... but is the hot water service a good idea?

#3 Silver Girl

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

The HWS felt cool to the touch but maybe it'd be best not to use it, don't want my good quality eggs to melt,  LOL. Thanks for the thought.

#4 Chickie-Babe

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I am really bad, but a few ideas - no offense if you hate them!

For the tricycle - tri, tri, as hard as you can, the cycle will be soon be complete.

For the gate - open your eyes and leave the boundaries, the object of your desire is the colour of envy and is hanging around waiting for you.

Lemon Tree - something about when life hands you lemons, make lemonade?

Baby bath - watch out when the dirty water is thrown out, there may be something more precious inside.

Slippery Slide - With a whoosh and a dip, a slip and a slide, a fun spot this chocolate surprise has to hide.

Please feel free to change them, my mind is notfunctional tonight.

#5 Silver Girl

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Chickie-Babe - I love those ideas!

#6 BadCat

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

If you are after genuine cryptic crossword style clues these might help:

For the slide - Sidle about at the top
For the lemon tree - Hanging in confused melon
For the tricycle - The third revolution is red
For the gate - Designate around without North is green

They're not briliant but they are true cryptic crossword style.

Edited by BadCat, 02 April 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#7 Bel Rowley

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

I hheart.gif cryptics. Anagrams are good for cryptic clues.

Eg:
In DS' red tricyle - Badly circled tyre
Hanging from the green side gate - Hanging with a terribly eager gent
Hanging from the lemon tree in the back yard - Arrange to meet loner

Other ideas:
In the disused baby bath in the back yard - Make sure the little one is clean.

On top of the hot water service at the side of the house - Is this egg looking for a hot shower?

At the top of the slippery slide in the back yard - This egg could use a push.

#8 Silver Girl

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thank you BadCat and Bel Crowley!  original.gif

#9 Chickie-Babe

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

OP - please come back and update after the hunt, would love to find out how it went!

BadCat and Bel Crowley - you are so clever, it would take me ages to come up with something like that!

#10 Silver Girl

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I just realised that I haven't updated yet on how the egg hunt went. Thanks again for all the clues. Everyone had a great time and the clues were a hit! We used all the clues by colour-coding the eggs and giving the easier clues to the younger participants. I couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks again!  original.gif

#11 Silver Girl

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

PS Sorry for the spelling mistake of your username Bel Rowley - darn auto [in]correct!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.