Shortening replacement

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ani1

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hi
I am going to use the following recipe for my DD birthday cake. However it has shortening in it, which I can't seem to buy. So I did some research it it saids I can replace it with copha. Is this correct? Will it work the same?

Wilton buttercream

1⁄2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1⁄2 cup butter or margarine
4 cups (1 lb.) sifted confectioner’s sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon Wilton Clear Vanilla Extract
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
*To thin for icing cake, add a small amount of light corn syrup.

If you have any other recipes or replacement ideas please let me know.

Thanks. Annie original.gif

#2 Escapin

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

That's an American recipe. I'd just find an Australian one, which will have ingredients that you're familiar with. Taste.com.au is bound to have heaps.

If you really want to use the recipe, you can buy shortening at coles/woolies - it's with the butter and in a yellow wrapper I think?

#3 ani1

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

I looked at woolies today, I even asked they shop assistant she said they do not stock it.

#4 Fillyjonk

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Copha is vegetable shortening, as far as I know

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Copha has a very distinct flavour though - nothing like plain veg shortening.  I would do what pp suggested and look for an Australian recipe.

R

#6 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Copha is shortening. It is a vegetable fat shortening.

#7 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

I have a block of copha in the fridge and had a look, it says vegetable shortening right there on the packet.

ETA Copha is made with coconut oil and IMO has a quite coconutty flavour to it. I have another block of vegetable fat in my fridge which is called Frymasta and comes in a yellow wrapper as per PP. I was going to use it in a savoury pie crust where I thought copha would be yuk, but haven't done it yet so can't vouch for the taste.

Edited by heffalumpsnwoozles, 03 April 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#8 Bunsen the feral

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

American shortening is a lot softer than copha, it's not a great substitute.

It is used in icing because it is a bit more stable than just butter, and is white so your icing will be paler. For that recipe I would just use all butter unless you want it to hold up on a hot day. Beat the butter well to get a paler icing if that is what you want or are going to colour it.

Alternatively you can use the Women's Weekly buttercream recipe which is very similar but has been tweaked for Australian ingredients - things like sugar and flour are slightly different here to US one which is why recipes don't always translate well.

If you are more handy in the kitchen and have a sugar thermometer and a Kitchenaid type mixer you could try an Italian Meringue Buttercream - tastes amazing and very easy to work with.

#9 Kavity

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Copha is very different to the shortening they use in America (its soft and creamy), you can buy it at cake decorating shops, or from USA foods, which is where I buy it in bulk for my cake decorating.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Just looked at a cooking forum, which recommended the Frymasta (palm oil) over Copha (coconut oil).

R

#11 ani1

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for your replies

I do want it to hold up outdoors, it will be hot. So that is why I was looking at that type of recipe. I have made other buttercreams with just butter instead and it is no good in hot weather with no fridge. Will be at a park. I will have a look for some frymasta, would that be better then copha?

#12 ani1

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Just looked at a cooking forum, which recommended the Frymasta (palm oil) over Copha (coconut oil).

Thanks will have a look for some tomorrow original.gif

#13 ani1

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Just wanted to update
I replaced the shortening with copha and it worked perfect! Best butter cream I have ever made, white as snow, creamy and very yummy. It also stay perfect in the heat original.gif

#14 Maple Leaf

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

good to know the replacement worked.

My mom orders her shortening from USA Foods. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.