Dishwashers - recommendations please? Ours just blew up :(

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Taffabella

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Typical, when you start to use something it blows up.  rolleyes.gif

Anyway, what dishwasher do you have? What are it's pro's and con's?

Thanks in advance.

#2 mumma78

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

LG titanium front - had it two years and love it. Easy to clean filters, holds a lot of stuff, cleans well... just buy it.

#3 Avidlearner1

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

We own a Miele and love it. Having said that we are currently renting and this house has a dishwasher so ours is not being used. The one here is a Fisher and Paykel base model and works fine.

The limitations in the Fisher and Paykel compared to my Miele is things like burnt pots and really dirty dishes came out perfect in the Miele, I don't put my pots in the Fisher and Paykel because it doesn't clean them completely.

#4 Taffabella

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

I imagine the one that we had was a base model as well as the builder put it in when we built the house 8 years ago (OMG just realized we've been here 8 years already!) - it is an Electrolux Dishlex and it has problems with really dirty pans too - I put them in there but then hand wash them once they are finished as it gets most but not all of the gunk off.

I was just looking at the LG ones online, they look ok. The Miele I've never heard of them. Where did you get it from ?

#5 Black Lion

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

NOT a 2 drawer fisher & paykel-
Had one in my last house and it constantly needed repairs. Someone else I know also had one in a house she purchased and had it removed as she constantly had issues with it.

Only two bad stories though- so maybe we were both just unlucky?

Pro- felt like I was doing something for the environment using a 2 drawer (because it had to use less energy/water, right?)

Con- used it more often, or needed to fill both drawers.
Also, many plates etc didnt fit in the top drawer (which I usually filled first) so then Id have to start on the second one anyway or move all the 'dirty' stuff down.

Tip- take a dinner plate with you to try in the shop- SIL recently purchased one that most her dinnerware does not fit in the slots, or under the turning wash arm.

#6 bakesferalgirls

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

I have a Miele that was installed a few weeks ago. I love it. I would recommend it to anyone. The link below is for the one I have, it shows all the features.

http://www.miele.com.au/au/domestic/produc...CU_CS-40243.htm

Edited by bakesgirls, 09 April 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#7 Taffabella

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the tip Black Lion.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a freestanding dishwasher and a built under - ours appears like it is just an extension of our cupboards sitting under the bench.... would that be a built under?

Sorry first time I've ever been in the market for a dishwasher of any kind lol...

#8 Stronger

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

We have a Bosch and love it! Quiet, efficient, lots of programs and easy to use.

#9 Golden oldie

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

I love my Bosch. I would take it to bed with me at night if I could wink.gif

It is the best dishwasher we've ever had - we've had a Westinghouse (piece of crap as nothing ever came out clean), a F&P which was marginally better. When we moved into this house there was an Asko, it was about 20 years old and still worked, but not perfectly. When it eventually gave up the ghost, we went for the Bosch as recommended by Choice. When it was first installed we had to keep checking it was working as it was so quiet!

Good luck original.gif

#10 Taffabella

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Thanks, it's early days as I am far of a decision yet...

So frustrating as this year already we have had to replace our washing machine (so I replaced it with a front loader washer dryer combo and I am TOTALLY in love with our choice) ... and now our dishwasher has died.

The washing machine was about 15 years or so old. The dishwasher has only just turned 8.

I am crossing my fingers that nothing else dies in this house this year !!! 2012 is already getting quite costly!

#11 adnama

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

I have a Smeg 15place setting it's so lovely.
I originally went shopping for a boost machine, but the sales guy talked me into the smeg ( I know right) but I am very happy with it i'm glad I spent the money on it

#12 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Love my Bosch with cutlery drawer!

It's my second Bosch - my first was a basic slimline model which was also fantastic.

A friend recently replaced her F&P dish drawers after years of trouble, and got the entry level Bosch, which she loves.

I don't know anyone who has a Bosch of any version who doesn't like it!

#13 Ruby'sMum

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Another vote for Bosch - I love mine!

#14 tick

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

ASKO ASKO ASKO!

#15 Indi

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Bosch with a cutlery drawer.

Check the energy and water ratings - was unpleasantly surprised at how badly some of the Smegs rated in this area.  I would expect a minimum 4 - 4.5 stars for both, not 2.5.

#16 theladybird

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

I would say NOT smeg, ours is crappy, doesn't clean well, needed servicing a number of times for different problems, it's just plain temperamental.

#17 Smoo

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

We got a miele a year ago to replace the crummy thing that was in the house when we bought it, it works very well, i love the cutlery drawer

#18 and1makes309

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Can't beat a Miele if price is not an issue....Hubby has his Miele for over 10yrs and it's never broken down on us. If it does eventually die on us, we'll definitely get another Miele.

Loved the cutlery drawer and it cleans soo well - very quiet too!!

My sister has a Bosch and she hates it, so she doesn't use it! She said it was too noisy

Hopefully, you'll find one soon!! Good luck, so many choices out there! original.gif

#19 jo074

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Bosch, Bosch, Bosch

The classic (base level) model didn't rate too well in drying ability in a recent Choice survey, but all the non-classic ones rated really well.  We decided against the cutlery drawer though as putting them all in individual slots just seemed like too much hard work to me. Plus I like to be able to carry the cutlery basket to the cutlery drawer and unload there, rather than walking across the kitchen with handfuls of cutlery.

#20 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

We just bought ourselves a westinghouse brnad one - and the best thing i love about it is that it has ametal interior & there is no water in the bottom of it!

I'm the nutcase who rinses her dishes before stacking them in the dishwsher, so i cant really comment on the burnt on food or not.

#21 vitaechel

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

In our house (that we just sold) we had a Bosch classic. I miss it! *pout* I chose it for good water & energy ratings.  It was so quiet and worked really well. It didn't dry as well as my parents Bosch for some reason which is about 3 years older. I think I would go the next step up with Bosch next time we buy one. But ours was still fantastic. My other choice would be Miele.

In this rental house we have a crappy DW - some cheap awful brand. It's new, but REALLY noisy and only dries dishes if you use the "Heavy" load system. DH thinks it cleans better (it doesn't), but that is because I have to use the heavy load system every time.  rolleyes.gif

#22 REMY001

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (fillesetjumeaux @ 12/04/2012, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love my Bosch with cutlery drawer!

It's my second Bosch - my first was a basic slimline model which was also fantastic.

A friend recently replaced her F&P dish drawers after years of trouble, and got the entry level Bosch, which she loves.

I don't know anyone who has a Bosch of any version who doesn't like it!

Yes, we have the new Bosch with the cutlery drawer and it's fantastic!  Washes really well and is extremely quiet.  Would never go back to another brand again.

#23 CharliMarley

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

We have a LG with an Inverter Drive (what-ever that means) and we got a good deal from Harvey Norman, as the more expensive ones, like the Miele and the Bosch, were not within our budget. I have had dishwashers for 20 years in different houses and I have never had one that cleans the pots and pans to my liking. We had two Kleenmaid dishwashers before the L.G.

#24 MaddyandLachlans-mum

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Bosch with a cutlery drawer.

I just love mine. I sometime have to put my ear to it to make sure it is on.

#25 cugel

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Another vote for Bosch. Ours is 10 years old now and still going strong - no repairs others than a clogged hose, which was probably our fault!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.