8yo DD - Movie / Pizza party night

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MCMama

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I was thinking of doing a DVD / Pizza / Pyjama night for DD's 8th birthday and I just need a few suggestions.

All I wanted to do was have the kids arrive, maybe do a few miusical statues games, eat pizza, birthday cake and sit down and watch a DVD together. i was thinking the time should be something like 5.00- 8.00 / 8.30pm. I was looking at a Friday night and going to get the girls to come dressed in their pj's BUT it wasn't going to be a sleepover.

Does everyone think this would work? Does it sound too boring? I'm worried if I put in too many activities we will run out of time for the actual DVD.
Have I allocated enough time? I don't want them up too late as most iof the girls play netball first thing mext morning.
How many girls would you think is a good number to invite? My problem is that there are about 7 girls in DD's class and I will find it hard to leave some out. I'm concerned that having 8 girls is too many though (counting DD).
Big question - WHICH MOVIE SHOULD I CHOOSE????

#2 trina-p

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

I threw my DD a "mock sleep over" for her 8th. I took 5 girls home with me after school one Friday they played in the backyard for a while - made their own fun and then they watched Ramona & Beezus.
We had pizza, popcorn, camembert & crackers, chicken nuggets, crisps and lollies.

Parents picked them up at 6:30pm

#3 tothebeach

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

We've never done it for a birthday but have had quite a few movie nights for 5+ boys since my son was 4.   We usually have them come at 5 and have a play for an hour or so.  Then dinner, then a movie, popcorn and desert.

Parents pick them up at 8pm or so.  No pajamas - they stay in their clothes as they are usually running around.  Older girls may be different, though.

#4 Beancat

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi OP

I have never heard of a mock sleep over, but I think it is a fantastic idea!  3- 3.5 hours may not be enough time though.  I would potentially ditch the games and turn the pizza into a game, ie everyone makes their own pizza from a selection of toppings you have already prepared.  You could make it a cooking/dvd party and the gift bags for the kids could be cooking themed (ie little aprons - they could wear the aprons while cooking, mabe some cookie cutters etc).  I dpnt think 8 is too many.  Maybe get DH to help

Have no idea on the DVD sorry

good luck

#5 Julie3Girls

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

If you want to include some games, I'd be tempted to start it a bit earlier, around 4pm?

If you stick with the 5pm start, I'd just let them play music, dance around etc, early dinner at 5:30pm, with the idea of starting the movie around 6:30pm at the latest.
Means the food and cake isn't too rushed, with plenty of time for the movie before parents turn up.

With numbers .. I'd invite them all. It's possible you will get knock backs anyway - 5pm on a weeknight could be hard for some parents to manage if they both work.  But 8 isn't too many for that sort of party.
If they were actually staying the night, I might feel differently, but not for just a couple of hours of movie and pizza.

#6 SMforshort

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

movie ideas

- young einstein
- mamma mia
- babe
- bedknobs and broomsticks
- mary poppins
- seven brides for seven brothers
- the neverending story

#7 SW-

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I did on a few months ago.  Picked the girls up from school.  Afternoon tea, Played a few games, had a dancing off.  Had a movie and pizzas. Parents picked them up at 8.  I found we were quite rushed to fit it all in.   The girls had a ball.

#8 chunkysoup

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Last year when DD1 turned 8 we had a pizza and movie party. There were about 8 kids invited plus my three. I made pizza and they watched Diary of a Wimpy kid. The kids actually sat and watched the movie.
This year same DD had 4 friends for a sleep over Harry Potter party. I had some trivia questions and who am I quotes.  I also made wands for them to paint. They didn't end up watching the first movie as they are all keen fans who had seen it before. They ended up watching Jumanji instead.

#9 Julie3Girls

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Oh, movie suggestions ...
I'd have a selection and let the girls vote. At 8, they can have a pretty wide range of movie tastes.

Aquamarine
The princess diaries
Scooby Doo movies
Barbie movie - the new Mermaid Tale is just out.
Nim's Island
Enchanted
Tangled
Hotel for Dogs
The Smurfs (the new movie)
Cats and Dogs, or any of the puppy type movies (snow buddies etc)
Matilda
Ice age
Happily Never After

Oh, and my 8yr old and her friends are huge harry potter fans - the first few movies are PG, but you might want to check with parents.

Edited by Julie3Girls, 10 April 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#10 MCMama

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Thanks everyone for you input.

So do you think the pyjamas idea is a good one or should I drop that?

Thanks for the awesome DVD ideas too.

#11 Julie3Girls

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

The pjs ... ask your daughter original.gif  If she likes the idea, go with it.

#12 MCMama

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Ok DD said no to the pyjamas.
Do you think I should give out party bags or something equivalent? If so any ideas? I'm trying to make this party cheap.

Edited by MCMama, 10 April 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#13 Julie3Girls

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

You could do party bags before the movie? make that their movie snacks, with a couple of bowls of fresh popped popcorn to share.

Or ..
if you wanted to give them something to keep, the supermarkets here often have pretty glasses/containers - like tall icecream sundae glasses, or plastic popcorn buckets (look like the popcorn boxes from the movies, but plastic). You could get something like that, and fill them with lollies for the movies, and they take their cup home with them.  Usually pretty cheap, and you are going to want some lollies etc for the movie anyway.

#14 MCMama

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 11/04/2012, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could do party bags before the movie? make that their movie snacks, with a couple of bowls of fresh popped popcorn to share.

Or ..
if you wanted to give them something to keep, the supermarkets here often have pretty glasses/containers - like tall icecream sundae glasses, or plastic popcorn buckets (look like the popcorn boxes from the movies, but plastic). You could get something like that, and fill them with lollies for the movies, and they take their cup home with them.  Usually pretty cheap, and you are going to want some lollies etc for the movie anyway.

I really like this idea. Is that Woolies or Coles? I'll definitely check that out.  Thanks for all you help Julie.

Edited by MCMama, 11 April 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#15 Julie3Girls

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Woolies often has something. Sometimes at the end of the aisles, or the party stuff, or in the plastic wares.

#16 ChickenortheEgg?

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (MCMama @ 11/04/2012, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really like this idea. Is that Woolies or Coles? I'll definitely check that out.  Thanks for all you help Julie.

Woolies have popcorn paper boxes for something like $2 for a pack of 4.

#17 alicat3

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I did an almost sleepover party for my DDs 7th birthday. It was great!
All the kids came in their pjs at 4pm. They played, opened presents.
I bought pizza bases & they made their own pizzas. Then they had Icecream cake for the cake but I had lots of toppings so they could make Icecream sundaes.
After that we made popcorn, set them all up on the lounge with blankets and cushions and they watched Tangled.
Pick up was 8.30 from memory. For party bags I sent them all home with milk and cookies (just long life containers of strawberry milk from the supermarket) and biscuits I baked.
It was wonderful. The girls loved it (we had 4 little girls) and it was just like a sleepover but without the stress of scared little girls staying the night.
Have fun original.gif

#18 mumto3princesses

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have seen those plastic popcorn boxes in the aisles in random places in Woolies before too. I have also seen them with party stuff at discount stores.

Since the discussions have begun for DD1's birthday my twins have started talking about theirs and want a sleepover. It's way too soon to talk about it with them now but a movie and pizza night is a much better idea.

Edited by mumto3princesses, 14 April 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#19 cward

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

My DD went to a similar party last year.  I think they did make your own pizzas, went in pj's, all took a movie with them and then they picked from those.  I think they had a chocolate fountain thing with fruit for dipping for dessert and birthday cake

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.