My newborn stoped breathing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FeRaL n ScReWeD

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

I'm still shaking now, a few hours ago I gave my daughter her losec, it must have gone down into her lungs as she began to choke.It was over 20 seconds of me tilting her forward and hitting her back, before she let out the loudest scream I've herd. I never want to go through that again!
Every new parent should do a first aid course, had I have needed to do CPR I would have been able to as I just finished the first aid componant of my uni course.
Has anyone else gone through simular? I'm wondering if it's common in reflux babies?

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

DS2 at 4.5m aspirated baby panadol. After 20 mins of screaming he stopped breathing twice within 5 mins (to the point of turning blue).

A trip to the hospital and he was pronounced OK (we were overseas at the time). He also developed flu while we were away (which was why we were giving baby panadol was for a 40+ fever).

On return home I had the local GP check him over. She sent him for x rays which showed he still had fluid on the lungs (aspiration pneumonia).

He then developed at 6m croup 6 times in 8wks.

ETA: I now hate to give medications orally. I now have panadol suppositories to use with my babies.

Edited by lsolaBella, 10 April 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#3 Jenferal

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

My baby choked on a dose of Panadol my husband gave her when she was sick at about 4 or 5 months old.
We called an ambulance as she could not start breathing properly. Horrible scary 7 minutes waiting till they turned up.
It's not just a reflux thing, it's got to do with them breathing the liquid into their airway I think. can happen to anyone, young or old.

Edited by Jenflea, 10 April 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#4 FeRaL n ScReWeD

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

What a horrible experience to go through, do you think the croup was from aspirating panadol?

#5 3_for_me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Not a baby but I have taken a flying leap over my kitchen bench to help my son who choked on a piece of a lamb chop when he was about 5.  He was turning blue and at one point I found myself looking for the phone while I was whacking him between the shoulder blades so I knew how far I'd have to dash to grab it, dial the ambos and get back to start CPR.  Thankfully at that point it dislodged.

Thankfully I'm well covered for first aid, I'm an emergency services member and both my parents have high level first aid skills so it's second nature for a lot of it and thankfully at the time I most needed it, it just happened

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

I am suspicious of his croup with his early lung problem.

DS1 has never had croup.

DS2 has croup regularly a few times a year (12+ times in that first year).

DD (2yrs) has only had croup once.

#7 Elemenopee

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

How scary. Have you rung the healthline, does she need to be checked over?

My boys were born 10 wks early, and used to have lots of apnoeas and bradychardias due to their reflux.

My ds2 stopped breathing at home at around 4 wks corrected, we took him to hospital and he stopped breathing another 5 times over a couple of hours, and ended up getting airlifted to a children's hospital. The doctors put it down to him catching a common cold. He was on oxygen and had some other issues, his stopping breathing was not related to his medicine.

I used to give my boys their losec in a dummy medicine dispenser that they would suck on with some milk mixed in. Is this an option?

#8 FeRaL n ScReWeD

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

She was checked over by the ambos and they were happy with her. Im going to try a dummy dispenser as I'm thinking it may be worth a shot. I assume you buy one from the chemist? Thanks for the advice.

#9 FEdeRAL

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Sorry you had such a scare OP.

DS who was premature stopped breathing four times when he caught a cold at 4m corrected. He was sleeping and his Graseby respiration monitor went off, thankfully. The loud alarm woke him and when we got to him he was screaming and gulping for air.

Our local MCHN provides all new parents with a 2 hour first aid seminar. I agree it's a very important life skill - I am a little rusty already even though I had done three myself (before DS was discharged, at RCH Melbourne when hiring the respiration monitor and at the MCHN seminar).

Like PP I also mixed his medication in some milk, but I gave it in a bottle.

#10 Chelli

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

That must've been so scary sad.gif My nephew had a seizure and stopped breathing when he was about two. It only ever happened once for some unknown reason but it really scared my sister. The time waiting for the ambulance was the hardest.

Hope your little one is feeling better.

#11 CretaceousFeral

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

My baby has stopped breathing 5 times, twice were laryngospams caused by reflux (at 3m)  and the other 3 were choking episodes (10m, 18m and 22m).

One of the laryngospasms happened while we were in the hospital. Resulted in a MET call and I watched him being bagged while his oxygen saturation dropped to 3.

I hope to get over it one day.

#12 Elemenopee

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

Ok, good, wasn't sure if you had called an ambulance or not.
I got my dummy medicine dispenser from a chemist, this was 3 years ago now.
I melted mine in a microwave steriliser the first day, so check the packaging for how to clean it!

#13 Elemenopee

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

[quote name='UgglePuggle' date='10/04/2012, 11:14 PM' post='14476819'

One of the laryngospasms happened while we were in the hospital. Resulted in a MET call and I watched him being bagged while his oxygen saturation dropped to 3.

[/quote]

I hope to get over it one day too. It was nearly 3 years ago now and I am still always checking their breathing.

#14 IsolaBella

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

DH still has nightmares (ie waking screaming in a cold sweat) about DS2. It was 4yrs at Christmas since that event.

I will admit that the few times I ever dream (I don't remember any dreams at all) they have all been nightmares over either DS2 or DD stopping breathing. I once was totally out of it and thought DH's cold arm in the bed was a dead baby (although DD is already 2yrs).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.