Have you thought about names?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 natalia2482

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thanks bagelbagel81 and Meg88.  You know how some people get....just don't want to tread on anyones toes mellow.gif

#52 LunaTwilight88

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Since before my fiance and I discussed when we would have children we decided on a boy's name. Since we found out i was pregnant we couldnt agree on a girls name and finally at 16 weeks we found out we are having a boy so with a bit of luck come Christmas we will have...

MASON.

Still undecided on a middle name. will either be John after my late father or Dean which is my maiden name.

#53 KiwiMelW

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

Thats a lovely name kjdean!

I think we have decided on

Leo Kahurangi

Although I guess thats cause the only we both like. Thing is I have a bad feeling that that might be what my friend who is about to have a baby is going to name her child. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Im prob just paranoid.

Cause if we cant use that we are pretty screwed.

#54 Leafprincess

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

DP named him before we even confirmed he was a boy.

We just kind of knew. It took all of 15 minutes to come up with his name.

"Sabre"

DP side of the family is Australian with ancestors of french-Persian decent

Sabre in Persian means "patient" and DPs last name means "gift"
After waiting so long for a child it was fitting to say our little one has been a gift of patience.

When you say the name in Cantonese (my side of the family) it loosely sounds like "western father" which is what Sabre has a father of western decent.

No back up names or girl names were discussed. ILs were a bit shocked at first with such an unusual name, but after I pushed back and said "father names the baby, and he has named the baby" and explained the meaning they shut up.  happy.gif

#55 KiwiMelW

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Oh I love the meaning behind your chosen name leaf!

#56 Quattuor Genitrix

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

We have decided upon Maxwell Bernard (middle name is a family name) for our little man  wub.gif

Should our little man not have a penis she shall be called Eloise Ann, but we have been told to expect a little boy!

#57 Leafprincess

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Thank kiwi Mel

Can you tell us what little Leo's middle name means?

I am bias to the name Leo, it's my brothers name. Lovely strong name for a future All Black  tthumbs.gif

#58 Nutty nut

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Should I panic? We haven't even discussed names yet!
We have however been crazy busy getting my partner's old place ready to go on the market (his 18 year long renovation project) and the first open is this weekend, so I think we finally have a bit of breathing space. Leaving for a week and a half in Tassie tonight, so hopefully plenty of time to thrash it out.
The current plan for choosing is I've worked on a list of about 30 odd for each gender that I quite like. I was thinking of getting DP to whittle that down to a short list of 5 for each, and then I pick my favorites of those, maybe one plus a back up for each... Seems fair, but not sure if it'll all fall to pieces when we sit down and try it!
Middle name should be easy, I firmly believe in honoring a family member, and I might pull rank of this one given DP gets the surname without a whimper from me.

#59 KiwiMelW

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

kahurangi means precious, honourable, distinguished

#60 mels123

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

My husband and I are both school principals and have been teachers and between us have taught many kids over the years, so 90% of names are ruined for us! We both can't help but associate all the names we like with naughty kids we have taught or had in our schools. It makes it difficult!
Plus I see trends, like I can't have a boys name starting with J or B, because most boys I have taught starting with J or B have been naughty!
We aren't sharing our names because I'm scared people will wreck them for us. (Not that we have decided on any for sure yet anyway) I have a lot of pregnant friends am I'm hoping that no-one takes my name before I have the bub! One of our favs have already been taken!

#61 LunaTwilight88

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (mels123 @ 26/08/2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My husband and I are both school principals and have been teachers and between us have taught many kids over the years, so 90% of names are ruined for us! We both can't help but associate all the names we like with naughty kids we have taught or had in our schools. It makes it difficult!
Plus I see trends, like I can't have a boys name starting with J or B, because most boys I have taught starting with J or B have been naughty!
We aren't sharing our names because I'm scared people will wreck them for us. (Not that we have decided on any for sure yet anyway) I have a lot of pregnant friends am I'm hoping that no-one takes my name before I have the bub! One of our favs have already been taken!

We found we had an issue with people further along than us as well. One of my good friends hadnt picked a name and i casually told her that we had decided on Mason for a Boy and Savannah for a girl. 3 weeks later she went into labour and Gave birth to her beautiful baby girl "Savannah" Thankfully we have had it confirmed 100% we are having a boy but i did tel this friend of mine that I didnt care and if I had a girl I wouldnt be changing my mind on the name. She didnt sem to happy but you have to love what you name your child and thats more important than if a friend has a child with the same name.

#62 KiwiMelW

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Yuck I cant stand name stealers.

But I find worse are the people who you tell the name that you have decided on and then bag it out or try and convince you to change it or make mean comments about it.

in the end we have decided not to tell anyone. I hate the looks on their faces if they dont like it, and then what people say. Once you have named your child no one will ever say anyhting to your face about how much they may not like it.

My DH and I have one name that we love. I remember talking to a friend of mine is due in 5 weeks a long time ago saying how much I loved this name and she said, it is a really nice name and mentioning it to her hubby. I am hoping to god that they dont use it (even though they are not aware that we are using it).  I just have this feeling in my gut that they may be naming their boy that name as well.

#63 aryastark

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (KiwiMelW @ 27/08/2012, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in the end we have decided not to tell anyone. I hate the looks on their faces if they dont like it, and then what people say. Once you have named your child no one will ever say anyhting to your face about how much they may not like it.

My thoughts exactly. We're not telling anyone the name we've chosen. She's 100% got her name though. We refer to her as her name at home. I think it helps a lot with bonding original.gif

#64 Stardusties

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

We're not sharing the name, but the meaning is loosely 'holy grace'. We think it will suit our tiny terror  happy.gif

KiwiMelW I agree that everyone has an opinion on the chosen names, and they're not always nice either. I think it's sometimes easier to just keep it a secret and announce it at the birth.

#65 MuppetGirl

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

As we know we are definitely having a boy we have our name picked and locked in, but like others, are not sharing it.

When pregnant with my first DS I mentioned it to a couple of people and had negative reactions which would never stop me using a name I loved but did ensure this time we are keeping it a secret.

Actually after DS was born my sister made the mistake of saying we had picked a weird name while my niece was in the room and niece happily repeated this to us laughing2.gif was quite funny.

ETA: The name we have picked means venerable or revered. Sounds good to me wink.gif

Edited by MahnaMahna, 27 August 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#66 LunaTwilight88

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

It bugs me that people feel the need to inflict their opinions on a name that you've chosen for your child.

Im happily telling people what name we have chosen because ive also said I dont care if anyone else takes it i'm not changing my mind. So far only 1 person has said they dont like the name we chose and that it wasnt nice and i simply replied "It's a good thing he's not your child then isnt it?" That soon shut her up and she hasnt said anything about it since.

Its a shame that when it comes to YOUR child so many people think they know better than you.

#67 frogcal

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

We haven't talked names yet, as I don't want to give DH aa chance to change his mind once we have decided. Last time we didn't discuss it at all until I was about 34 weeks (and DS was born at 36  weeks). I have a few ideas of course, but will wait a few more weeks before the great debate starts.

#68 Over_the_rainbow

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

We've been discussing names for a couple of months now and think that in the last couple of days we have narrowed it down to two names, as yet we don't have a middle name. A lot of the names we both liked early on we changed our minds about after seeing how our families reacted when we told them what we were thinking so now we are keeping them to ourselves until the baby is here.

#69 cletus

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

At the risk of getting negative reactions to names, I'm struggling to think of boys names that I like. I love the nickname Freddie - but can you really call a child just Fred as a given name these days? Not sold on Frederick. What does everyone out there think? Then I go down the Alfred/Freddie path - but I'm not sold on Alfred either - although I really like Alfie.

I had my heart set on Maxwell in the lead up to the birth of DS but was so over it 2 weeks before he was born. I generally like traditional English names, normal spelling, so any suggestions would be great. Our son is Harry with the middle name of John, just because I like to keep it simple (as I grew up with a name no one could spell).

I'm certain I'm having a girl this time around because this one is so tiny and DS was so huge - but I want to be prepared in case I've got it seriously wrong!

Other names on the list:
Angus
Archie
Sebastian
George
Leo/Leon

#70 KiwiMelW

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

cletus - i dont see why you cant call your son Fred. It doesnt have to be Frederick or alfred especially if you not very fond of those names.

Our of your names I love Leo (thats the name we have chosen for our son) also love Leon, but i have a very close friend called Leon so he would no doubt think that we named our son after him hehe.

And I also have a particularly soft spot for the name George for a boy AND Georgie for a girl.

In fact Im a whole lot of love for your list.

#71 aryastark

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

I love your list Cletus! And you should call your son Freddie if you like it, don't worry about "long" names.

My favourite on your list is Sebastian original.gif

#72 ~bluebird~

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Pretty sure I'm having a boy and stuck too. Only liked 1 name with ds and hes taken that.

Dh likes jack, which i didn't mind but starting to get over it now.

Cletus i like your list, i've been thinking angus for the last few weeks and i lke it more and more but haven't dared mention to dh yet, think I'll wait til closer.

#73 Mum_of_five

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

We are having a girl and at the moment the chosen name is Emmaline Charlotte original.gif

#74 cletus

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

mum2bof5 I love Emmaline ... I was just thinking this afternoon what a lovely name it is - one of the characters in a book I was reading DS had that name!

#75 aryastark

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

I love Emmaline too! Beautiful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.