Suburb help, please recommend somewhere with a rural feel
Wanting to move from Sydney to Canberra or surrounds

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 grommet

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hi There Canberrans!

My hubby and I are considering moving from Sydney to the ACT.

There are a few reasons but one of the most important to us is to achieve a somewhat "rural" lifestyle whilst still being able to commute to the city for work (for hubby at least).

We have been looking at, Yass and surrounds, Murrambateman etc. Max of an hour drive to Canberra.

We would ideally like at least a half acre block (so 2000 Sqm ish) but even better would be to have a few acres.

If you know Sydney we are aiming for a Windsor / Galston / Arcadia feel.

Could you recommend me some areas or suburbs? Maybe there are some suburbs nearer in we should consider?

We have a primary aged child and a pre schooler to consider.

Any insights you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Grommett

#2 sweetlibby82

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

I have looked at Bywong, Womboin (spelling?), Carwoola, and Sutton as options to the Murrumbateman area. Although from what I've seen Murrumbateman is a bit more affordable. Happy house hunting!

#3 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Also try Burra or Googong...

Grommet, you won't regret it! I moved from Sydney to the ACT and LOVE it! I am in the suburbs though, but our next move will be rural, out of town. I wasn't sure how I'd cope after having lived in Sydney all my life and now I want more space and peace and quiet!

#4 Dirtsa

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

You might find something at Royalla, Googong, or something out near Bungendore.

#5 April girl

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

The beauty of my magnificent town is that a one hour commute lands you in Goulburn or Cooma - seriously! My colleague commutes to Goulburn everyday I also have a few colleagues who commute to bungendore. I work in Woden.

#6 April girl

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

I forgot about royalla - a family we know with 4 kids aged 6mth - 8 yr moved there recently from tuggeranong area and adore it!

#7 Dino-Mite

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

We live in Yass and have  a 9 year old and a 2.5 year old.  

There are 2 public primary schools, 1 public high school and 1 catholic school that goes up to year 10.  We absolutely love the area.  The only problem that we have here is that there is no vacation care and the school holidays don't match up with ACT schools which means our son has to fly up to his grandparents.

#8 grommet

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback! We have been looking at all the suggested suburbs. Really like yass but it all looks great! We will spend a weekend soon having a look around. Thanks again!

Edit to remove sig, needs updating! How did I age 6 years since I last looked at my sig?

Edited by grommet, 18 April 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#9 4kids mostlysane

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

My friends are selling their house in Yass at the moment  - it's gorgeous - wanna buy it  wink.gif (won't be enough land for you though !) Happy House Hunting....

PS Have a look at allhomes.com.au - check out Canberra Surrounds and you'll get an idea of prices/size etc....

#10 BadCat

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

You could also look at Hall which is like a small village but only 20 minutes to the city.  Beautiful area.  Can be a bit pricey though.

#11 mumin07

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

What area are you look at working in Canberra? as depending on where you would be working on might effect where you live. As I would not recommend Yass if you are definitely going to be working at Tuggeranong and would suggest somewhere like Royalla instead.

#12 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

mumin07 is definitely right, it depends where you work on what rural area is best... i.e. if you work in Gungahlin or Belconnen then Yass would be great! If you work in Tuggeranong then Burra/Royalla/Googong/Bungendore would be great!

If it were me, I think I'd move to just outside of Yass. I LOVE Binalong, it's 30km from Yass. We are getting married there, tiny town, it's adorable, but I dont' think it would have the services a young family would need. But there are plently of little towns that are 10min from Yass (Bowning etc!)

Good luck, I am VERY jealous!

Edited by PussyDids, 19 April 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#13 Dino-Mite

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Oh, I love Bowning - ok, I love the cafe there - its our cafe of choice.  "Roll on Inn"  have a coffee, then see the farm animals.

9 minutes on a weekend from North Yass original.gif

Edited by Dino-Mite, 19 April 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#14 Moulla

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:31 PM

Iā€™m wondering if Grommet you needed up buying your rural block close to Canberra CBD?!

#15 jayskette

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

you want the Galston/Arcadia feel? go to Forrest lol. You want actual rural, then any previous post will do

#16 Mrs Zee

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:11 PM

View PostMoulla, on 26 October 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

Iā€™m wondering if Grommet you needed up buying your rural block close to Canberra CBD?!

Given the fact that Grommet hasn't posted here since 2012, chances are it will forever be a mystery. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø

#17 Moulla

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostMrs Zee, on 26 October 2019 - 09:11 PM, said:

Given the fact that Grommet hasn't posted here since 2012, chances are it will forever be a mystery. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø

Haha I was hoping she might get a notification and return!

Edited by Moulla, 26 October 2019 - 09:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.