Have you hired a car seat from a rental car company?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 *lilmiss*

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

We are planning to fly interstate within the next month or so and I'm weighing up whether to take our own car seat or just hire one?  It will only be for 4days, is it worth the effort dragging my own along with us or just pay the $7 per day and hire one?  What are the hire ones like? Are they reasonably newish models? Are they clean?

I'd rather have my own clean baby seat, but not sure if it's worth the hassle. DS is still rear-facing if that makes any difference to the suggestions original.gif

Opinions? Suggestions?

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have only seen badly kept short backed  (9kgs RF) car hire seats (which are also installed incorrectly mad.gif )

We now take our own.

#3 Mel from the Creek

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Airlines let you take it for free (not include in baggage weight) so I always take mine.  Very easy.

#4 *lilmiss*

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Airlines let you take it for free (not include in baggage weight) so I always take mine. Very easy.

what if they damage it tho?

#5 memomine

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

we used a hire car while our car was being repaired for a month last year. The seats provided by the car rental company were actually in better condition than ours! they were well looked after and clean (looked new) and they installed x 1 RF and x 1 FF seat in a 3 door getz perfectly!

#6 katniss

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

We hired one from a car rental company when we were overseas as it was going to be too awkward to take ours with us for so many stop overs and all our other luggage. It was fine. It was clean and in good condition. DH installed it himself so we knew it was safe.

#7 tres-chic

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

We went to WA in January and hired three car seats. It was fine, they were clean and properly installed etc.

The car wasn't ready though and we had to stand around a baking car park with three little kids after a five hour flight while they put them in, but hopefully that won't happen to you!  wink.gif

#8 Silver Girl

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

We hired one from Hire For Baby. It was new or like new and rear facing and we were happy with it. The woman from the hire shop installed it in the hire car at the airport before we arrived.

It made it so easy getting off the plane into the car with the seat already installed. She later took it away from the airport so we only had to return the car IYKWIM.

This was domestic.

#9 Bluenomi

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've hired one with the hire car a few times. Never had any issues, I just double check how it is installed. They've always been clean and fairly new. So much easier than taking ours out at the airport, lugging it to check in, etc, etc. Plus it meant when we got home we didn't have to put the seat back into the car after a long flight

#10 bubblebear

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

We have hired one with a car a couple if times. They have been in excellent condition and installed correctly.

#11 BreezaH

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

We hired one when we went to QLD last year for 2wks. It was probably better than our seat! Looked brand new, properly installed etc. We'll be hiring another 2 when we go interstate for Xmas this year.

#12 emma~woodhouse

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Yes, we've hired car seats along with a rental car before - with two small kids and two car seats, we couldn't have managed all of our luggage. When we had just one child, we took our own seat from home.

The seats were not the same quality as ours at home, but met the legal requirements and we judged them safe enough for the few short days we used them.  We specially chose a car hire company that had multiple kinds of seats available for babies/toddlers/kids. If in doubt, call the hire company and ask about the child restraints they offer.

#13 sueb31

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I have had some shockers and some brilliant ones. I've also turned up and been refused one (this was for a one-way rental though).

In an ideal world, I'd always prefer to take my own or hire from a baby company. However it isn't an ideal world and I tend to compromise. I will take my own for a baby under 12 months and hire one for older children sometimes. The smaller the child, the more important it is.

I have been known to wash the hire car seat covers sometimes too, if they are gross.

For 4 days - I'd be tempted to hire and would take details of a local baby pllce I could call and arrange hire if unhappy (if that makes sense).

Sue

#14 Silver Girl

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

I just remembered that the hire company left some other hire items that we'd requested in the boot - a porta cot and pram. That made things easier also.

#15 Jekaho

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

We've done both - bring our own and hire one. And really, hiring one is SO much easier - we had no issue with it being grotty, although we did have to install it ourselves.
When you've already got suitcases and a portacot and this and that, one less bulky thing is always good!

#16 Shanski

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Yes we've hired car seats from the car rental company.

Some have been older looking but still clean and non smelly and some have looked fairly new.

Definitely double check the installation. Last week we were in Sydney and had two forward faciing seats installed, both had the safety harness strap in the wrong position at the back. Also they generally set the straps at the highest shoulder mark so you need to adjust.

When we only had 1 child we would take our own seat as we liked knowing it was easy to use but do be careful as the seats just get thrown in the cargo hold with the rest of the bags and ours came out with grease and dust all over it after one trip even though I had put a cover on it.

Edited by Shanski, 18 April 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#17 Mrs_Mystery_Guest

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Yes I have. When we moved up to the NT a couple of years ago we had to pick up a hire car from the airport to drive to our new town and keep it for a couple of weeks till our car arrived by truck. Not only had they given us a sedan which I specifically asked not to get as we had 5 big suitcases and a massive pram but the carseat was not even installed properly!

I was p*ssed off beyond words. I was dripping with sweat as I had come from Perth where it was freezing and then I was in Darwin which was boiling hot with my butt hanging out of the door swearing my box off reinstalling the stupid car seat. Hubby had gone to find someone to complain and he came back with a useless fellow who just stood there and shrugged and said he thought that carseat was secure. It was only attached to the anchor point. I pointed out the seat belt needs to be put through the back of the seat.

I also got him to look at the expiry date on it and I pointed out that it had expired 2 years previously. I said we weren't putting my son in the said seat and he had better go get one that hadn't expired. Took us a hour and a half to get out of the stupid car park at the Darwin airport.

I was sh*tting bricks after that encounter and dripping with sweat.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.