Gnocchi Issues

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Spring Bee

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

I made a batch of Gnocchi a few weeks ago. Decided to eat half of it that night & freeze the rest. It ended up being some of the best Gnocchi I've ever had so was very pleased with myself having frozen extra for another day.

I cooked up the frozen Gnocchi last night in just simmering water until they floated to the top. Then when I took them out of the water they just disintegrated into a soupy mess. Was totally inedible. Had to resort to the Fish & Chip shop for dinner. Any ideas as to why it went so wrong from frozen???

#2 Halcyon~

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

frozen potato never works in my experience

#3 janw

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Had you cooked them before you froze them? That the only thing I can think of. That maybe cooking them a second time caused it. We make our own fresh gnocchi too but I've never tried to freeze it

#4 ubermum

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Yeah I would imagine try cooking them before freezing.  That way the gluten in the flour will have developed to hold the dumplings together. I assume you cooked from frozen? You could also try defrosting the gnocci before cooking it to see if that works.

#5 Jenferal

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

I have a gnocchi question!
What sauce do you serve with it? I don't want a tomato one, I'd like something different for a change. Like a meat one. Something my 2 yr old and my husband will both like.
We eat spaghetti a bit here as my daughter loves it, but what else can I do??

#6 Spring Bee

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

They went into the freezer uncooked. So yes next time I will try cooking then freezing (but only a small amount as a test).  There must be a way as you can buy frozen Gnocchi in the shops.

#7 CountryFeral

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I have had the same tragic experience with some german stuffed potato dumplings.

Like you the initial cook was utterly delicious - the follow up (cooking from frozen) resulted in a saucepan of glue! (and I am ashamed to say some tears from me as I was so looking forward to them)

I think it may have something to do with domestic freezers not freezing fast enough, so there is formation of ice crystals within the dumpling/gnocchi and weakening their structural integrity.

#8 Halcyon~

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 19/04/2012, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What sauce do you serve with it? I don't want a tomato one, I'd like something different for a change. Like a meat one. Something my 2 yr old and my husband will both like.

The sauce on this gnocchi is good....real goooood.

Lindoni’s pumpkin, sweet potato and ricotta gnocchi

Ingredients

1 pumkin or 2.5kg of pumkin, peeled and diced into 4cm pieces

2 sweet potatoes or 1.25kg of sweet potato peeled and diced into 3cm pieces

1 bulb of garlic peeled and sliced.

Sea salt

Olive oil

300g Semolina

5 whole eggs

800g fresh ricotta (we use buffalo ricotta)

200g freshly grated parmesan cheese

For the sauce

250ml cream- reduced by half

30g fresh mixed herbs, oregano,rosemary thyme and parsley

50g parmesan

Sea salt

Method

In a large baking tray place diced pumkin, sweet potatoes and garlic, season with sea salt and toss with olive oil. Cover with foil and cook in a moderate oven 180°c-200°c for approx 1hr or until tender. When done place vegetable mix in a strainer to remove any excess liquid. Combine strained vegetables with eggs, semolina, ricotta and parmesan and blend in a food processor until smooth.

Line a 40cm baking tray with baking paper, making sure to also cover the sides. Spread the gnocchi mix evenly over the bottom of the tray to a desired height of about 2cm. Cover with baking paper and bake for 1hr at 180°c. Let cool completely before removing paper and cut to desired shape.

For the sauce

Place the cream in a sauce pan over a low heat and reduce by half, add herbs and sea salt and remove from heat, stir in parmesan cheese.

To plate

Reheat gnocchi and place in a bowl or plate, pour over sauce and if desired sprinkle with extra parmesan and finish under a salamander or a grill.

#9 *LucyE*

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

I used to make big batches of gnocchi and freeze it. They always defrosted just fine.

I would freeze in a single layer uncooked and then move into a bag for space saving storage. When cooking, plunge into boiling salted water. They take the same time to cook as freshly made gnocchi so maybe you over cooked them?

My favourite sauce to go with gnocchi is a roast pumpkin with bacon. I also like them with blue cheese just melted over or a really spicy amatricana sauce.

#10 Chelara

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Maybe freeze in a ball of dough, defrost, knead, add flour if needed, form and cook.

I have had the gloop I also just left them raw in the fridge overnight and of course they went grey.

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Chelara @ 19/04/2012, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe freeze in a ball of dough, defrost, knead, add flour if needed, form and cook.

This is a good idea Chelara!

#12 Riotproof

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I have frozen and then reheated in microwave on defrost. Works great.

#13 FeeGee

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I freeze the already cooked gnocchi in its sauce and then reheat in microwave when required.

#14 loola

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Freezing individually first could help, that's what I do and turns out good each time

#15 Pearson

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

pp - try a bolognaise sauce with some cream added... VERY nice.

#16 TheGreenSheep

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Ok all this talk of gnocchi has me thinking I should try making it myself!

Does anyone want to share a recipe for me to give it a go?

#17 *LucyE*

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Cook some waxy potatoes til tender. If I boil them, I keep the skin on to keep the moisture level absorbed to a minimum. I usually steam the potatoes.

Push through a potato ricer which gives perfectly smooth yet fluffy mash. I add an egg yolk but I believe purists don't. Then some semolina flour, salt, pepper and finely grated Parmesan. The idea is to knead to a smooth dough without overworking or bursting the startch cells. You want to keep the semolina to a minimum but enough so it isn't sticky.

Roll into logs, cut bits off and press/roll with a fork unless you have a traditional gnocchi rolling board.

Cook in boiling, salted water. They don't take long at all.

#18 pinkcupcakes

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 19/04/2012, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've mde a cheese sauce with it before and served with salad. kindof an alternative to mac n cheese, i guess. it was a hit!

also if you dont want a sauce but want a meal thats easy and delicious, i sometimes do this:

buy your fave sausages, cook them up and chop into bite-size bits.cook gnocchi. put in a bowl with diced tomato, avocado, baby spinach leaves, and a  drizzle of olive oil.mix through and eat. yum!

#19 jenjams

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

I also love Ricotta Gnocchi.  Awesome tasting but not as heavy as it's potato cousins!  in fact, I may need to go and get some ricotta today and make it!

#20 Mummy Duck

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (janw @ 19/04/2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had you cooked them before you froze them? That the only thing I can think of. That maybe cooking them a second time caused it. We make our own fresh gnocchi too but I've never tried to freeze it

QUOTE (Spring Bee @ 19/04/2012, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They went into the freezer uncooked. So yes next time I will try cooking then freezing (but only a small amount as a test).  There must be a way as you can buy frozen Gnocchi in the shops.

Ive had exactly the same problem. Lovely gnocchi too. You do need to par cook the pasta first before you freeze it.

#21 Jenferal

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Oh I'll try the sausages and tomato one! My 2yr old will eat that no worries!
I did fry some gnocchi once(Nigella recipe) and that was tasty too.

#22 jovana

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Maybe try and cook them first.
I personally never had problems with freezing potato dough.  shrug.gif
I used to make big batch of potato dumplings filled with fruit and froze half. What I did, I froze them uncooked individually on a tray and when they are solid frozen, they go in the freezer bag. They always cooked beautifully from frozen and never fell apart.
I sad USED on purpose. wink.gif Because, now I'm using a shortcut. Lazy one, I know, but now I use packet mashed potato and it saves me from cooking, cooling, peeling and mashing potatoes. Tounge1.gif
They are not lot of work anymore and I don't have to make few batches to save some time.
Taste wise, you can't really tell the difference from when the real cooked potato is used. They are even more fluffier and always turn out lump free.

#23 *LucyE*

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

You do need to par cook the pasta first before you freeze it.

You can't really compare pasta with gnocchi because pasta is primarily wheat flour and gnocchi is primarily potato.

You would par cook pasta before freezing if it was dried pasta otherwise why bother freezing for storage?  Fresh pasta, you freeze without cooking and cook from the frozen without defrosting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.