Afternoon tea sweet items that can be made ahead of time and frozen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skedaddle_*

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

I'm organising a special family afternoon tea. I'm going to be a bit stressed on the day (and probably day before!) so am after some recipes for foods that I can bake ahead of time and freeze but will still taste delicious on the day. Or foods that need very little preparation on the day.

Will make sandwiches on the day but need sweets, bite-sized tarts, little cakes etc to serve as well - think "High Tea"

Would love to hear your thoughts.

#2 Katie_bella

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Brownies work well, cut into little squares and freeze, then place in little cup cake papers and dust with cocoa to present on the day

#3 Mummy Duck

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Tea
Date Loaf

This is my all time favourite recipe at the moment and its super easy. You soak the fruit in tea. It is best left to cool in the tin and I think tastes better the next day. It freezes really well and gets rave reviews from young and old.

I soak the fruit in tea bags (rooibos) for about an hour rather than the leaves as per the recipe. I also use half dates and half sultanas.

#4 ~mimo~

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Cut puff pastry into squares, plonk on some tp n fill caramel and cream, or thick custard/mousse and half a strawberry.

#5 *LucyE*

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Scones, friands, most moist cakes freeze well.

You can buy mini pastry cases and fill them at the last minute - lemon curd, custard and fruit, chocolate mousse etc.

#6 Luci

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

I second the suggestion for freezing brownies. Un-iced cakes can usually be frozen. You could make and freeze a retangular banana cake for example, and the night before take it out of the freezer and put into fridge to defrost overnight. In the morning, ice it with nice passionfruit icing, cut into squares and arrange on a platter. Or freeze plain vanilla cupcakes and make fairy cakes.

I have never done this but apparently scones can be frozen. Scones with jam and cream are always popular at an afternoon tea.

Not sure if you are having any savoury stuff but mini quiches, sausage rolls and spinach triangles freeze well.

I always make the sandwich fillings in advance and have them sitting ready in the fridge. Then it only takes a few minutes to assemble to sandwiches. You can also boil eggs the day before. I make up chopped hardboiled egg with mayonaise, chopped chives and lots of salt and pepper or curry powder. You could buy a bbq chicken the day before, and in the morning chop up the chicken meat with mayo, herbs, salt and pepper. Could also add finely chopped walnuts or pine nuts if no one is allergic.

Lots of slices can be made in advance and keep well in an airtight container for a few days. Rocky road is easy to make and keeps well.  

Good luck, hope you have a nice party.

Luci

#7 Silver Girl

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have frozen iced cupcakes (butter cake recipe). I used Betty Crocker frosting and sprinkles before freezing, put them in Tupperware in the freezer and everything thawed perfectly.

I have also frozen and thawed chocolate muffins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.