Maternity Leave

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 blanky88

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi guys,

I'm totally new to this so I'm just getting the hang of how things work around here Tounge1.gif

I'm from Melbourne and due on 13 September and was wondering whether anyone else has thought about maternity leave and how long they are planning on taking off before your due date?

I've spoken to a few people and who said that when you get really big, things get really hard and you struggle to go to work, stay awake etc. Personally I'd like to work as much as I can up to the due date, but unsure what the 'norm' is. Anyway, any feedback would be nice original.gif

xx

#2 Tigerdog

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

The first baby I hated my job and was a sook so I went off 8 weeks before - 6 weeks general prior to birth as well as 2 weeks' sick leave.  Second baby I went off on the Friday and had the baby not the Monday immediately after but the next Monday, so I only had a week to do last-minute household jobs and preparation.  Whilstever you feel well, stay at work (if you want to stay longer than 6 weeks before the birth your workplace may need a weekly dr cert -mine didn't bother asking so I just coasted through!).

Edited by Tigerdog, 30 May 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#3 More cheese Gromit

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I worked til my due date, it was hard at the end*im on my feet for the entire shift* but it' was worth it to me, now I get to have all of my maternity leave with my baby

#4 whatnamenow

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

with my first i worked until a week past my due date.  But it was difficult.  I had a very supportive boss who basically let me almost recline in a chair and type while people brought work to me.  I was only meant to work till 4 weeks before my due date but then we found out we were getting audited at work so the boss asked me very very very nicely if i could stay for another 2 weeks,  that then turned into 3 weeks, that then turned into 4 weeks etc.  Eventually i told him that yes i could stay another week but only if he was happy for me to give birth in his office.... biggrin.gif

With my 2nd and 3rd i finished 4 weeks before my due date.  This one my plan is to work until delivery but to cut back my hours in the last few weeks.  Purely with this one is financial as i am self employed ( no paid maternity leave ) and because with my work now i can.

#5 Mud79

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

I am working until about 2.5 weeks before my due date all going well.  I am due on 25 July so i have about 5.5 working weeks to go (and counting!)  It would depend on the nature of your job i suppose.  I have a desk job so basically sit around most of the day original.gif

#6 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Not in this DIG- but I finished four weeks prior to having my DD. I think it largely depends on the type of job - a physical job and someone might have to finish earlier but I have a sit down job so I wanted to work until a month before. Gave me enough time to enjoy Christmas and prepare for her birth, as well as rest before the hard work began.

Edited by strawberrypie7, 30 May 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#7 JoMarch

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

I'm not in this DIG either, but I work in a relatively physical job, on my feet most of each shift & I'm planning to finish up at 36 weeks.  I'm almost 31 weeks & the next 5 weeks will be a stretch I think, it's getting difficult to manage as it is (back pain, rib pain and getting swollen feet).  But, I want that extra time when the baby is born so I'll battle through!  I also think if I had much more than a month at home before bub is born I would start to get bored.  After 34 weeks my work place will require medical clearance to keep working.  

I've had a straight forward, uncomplicated pregnancy so that also helps.  But I also think it is highly dependent on the type of work you do.  If I worked a desk job I might try to keep going to 38/39 weeks.

#8 José

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

hi there,
im due sept 29 and am thinking about having my last day of work on sep 12. not really sure though, maybe i could work a bit closer to the due date...? im planning to talk with my midwife about it but should probably make a decision soon!

#9 ejfingerscrossed

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

I am due the week after you, I am working until the end of August, which gives me 2.5 weeks before due date! However I work in sales and typically drive to the country for a week every six weeks, I am currently doing that trip and realized that spending 5 hours in the car each day is a bad/uncomfortable idea! My boss said get a note from my dr and then the workplace is obliged by law to find me alternative duties! The other thing I consideredwas that I wanted to have as much time as possible with Bub once he's born, so the longer I work, the longer ill have with him.

#10 WaitForMe

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Not in this DIG either but I stopped at 36w. I'm now just a couple of days off 38w and quite happy I stopped when I did. I was really struggling to get things organised before as I was just so tired in the evenings and on weekends. Now I can do just a few things each day and if I overdo it I have the flexibility to take an easy day to recover.

#11 Mozzie1

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't belong in the DIG but this topic came up in what we're discussing.

Christmas eve is 3 weeks before my due ate, so I will probably finish work then. That is quite early for my workplace, most people work right up to their due date. We are a bunch of workaholics original.gif. But I figure it makes more sense for me to leave just before Christmas, as most people are on holidays by then anyway.

#12 blanky88

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone! I guess at the end of the day, it's up to the individual and their circumstances. Luckily enough I have a sit down desk job. I was planning on working up to 2 weeks before (finishing on 31 August) my due date is 13 September. I really want to mazimise my maternity leave with the baby and not just sitting around waiting for my little one to arrive wink.gif

Good luck to those having the bubs soon!! xxx

#13 wannabamumma

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

My due date is 30th september, and I am planning on finishing at the end of August, which will give me 4 weeks at home. I am planning on taking annual leave for this time, and then starting Mat Leave after that, which will give me more time at home with bubs. And given the family history of arrival dates, all have arived up to 2 weeks early, I would like to have some time to relax in case bubs arrives early.

#14 mmk

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm not from here either...

DS was due 4th Feb, and I worked up untilt the Friday before Christmas when the office closed.  It was an office based job, but I was up and down and walking around all day so I'd had enough by then.  He came 13th Feb, so I was over being home alone by then!

With DD I'm working until 34 weeks.  I'm in a different job and it would've been easier to work longer, however they've modified my duties to give me the easy job I've got now.  I don't think they'd appreciate me asking to work longer!  Another lady I was talking to the other day there said that she worked up until 3 days before her DS was born, which was until 39w3d.  I plan on using whatever of the last 6 weeks organising things, as at the moment there's nowhere for her to sleep and not even drawers in her room.  I'm 29.5 weeks now.

I think a lot of places will ask for a letter saying you're fit to work if you wish to stay longer than 34 weeks.  I had to give them 10 weeks notice of my dates though, so I didn't want to chance that I'd be feeling ok still then.  Plus, I don't think they were too happy about my modified duties in the first place.

I found that towards the end I was huge and it was hard to move around.  I was tired, and I didn't have the mental capacity to continue doing the job I was doing.  I'm already starting to feel things physically.

I think it depends a lot on what your job is and how much you can modify it in the final weeks.

#15 LozB

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm planning on finishing at 36 weeks as my job you are on your feet a lot, doing shift work and I'm a high risk pregnancy so there had been talk of inducing me at 38 weeks depending on how everything is going.
At the moment am going well but I have already stopped doings the over night shift. Today I'm starting work at 330 pm and working until midnight and then back at work at 930 am tomorrow which will be a struggle. We also do seven day rosters which I'm finding really tiring.

#16 tinkster23

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

I can't legally work past 34 weeks without medical clearance, and my OB the first time around said I'd be better off stopping. He was right, I was tired and enjoyed the time off beforehand.

#2 I worked until about 32 weeks, I had to finish earlier cos I was doing permanent nights and carrying a nearly 5kg baby, it was too phyiscally hard.

This time, I've said I'll do 33 weeks, still doing permanent nights and just hoping I can make it through

#17 PurpleChicken

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (blanky88 @ 30/05/2012, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone! I guess at the end of the day, it's up to the individual and their circumstances. Luckily enough I have a sit down desk job. I was planning on working up to 2 weeks before (finishing on 31 August) my due date is 13 September. I really want to mazimise my maternity leave with the baby and not just sitting around waiting for my little one to arrive wink.gif

Good luck to those having the bubs soon!! xxx

Yep this is me too.  I worked till 37 weeks with DD and just got bored hanging around the house for 3 weeks till she was born.

This time I'll be leaving at 38+1 and hoping bubs doesn't come too early as my Mum won't be in the country!  ohmy.gif  laugh.gif

But I have a sit down office job so don't find it too taxing.  The only thing that sucks is that I have to go down stairs to get to the toilet  dry.gif .

#18 moxielou

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I currently hate my job, and have over an hour commute each way, so I'm finishing nearly 5 weeks before. CANNOT WAIT!

#19 louiseos

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hey blanky88,

I'm due the day before you & like some people who've already commented, my preference is to work as long as I can beforehand to maximise my time afterwards. The plan right now is to work until 31st August, which gives me a little down time beforehand.

My work is a desk job, however legislation/work policy requires me to cease work 6 weeks before due date. My OB so far supports me in working as long as possible, as does my employer, however I will be required to provide fortnightly medical certificates stating I'm fit for work once I hit the 34 week mark. Small price to pay if it means I'm well enough to have more time afterwards. In saying all that, if trimester 3 gets too much, then I'll stop as my job isn't one to do when you're not firing on all cylinders!

Fun times ahead working out mat leave dates, paid parental leave etc.

#20 blanky88

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hi louiseos!

After thinking about this for some time now, I've decided to also have my last day on 31 August. Then I'll be taking 2 weeks of annual leave, then the rest will be matrnity leave.

I just hope that all goes smoothly in the 3rd trimester.

Good luck with everything!!

xx

#21 Future-self

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'm due Sept 17th and am finishing at August 17th. I am most looking forward to my month of lying around and doing nothing and don't see it as a 'waste of time' at all.  biggrin.gif Maybe because I am planning on returning to work when baby is 15 months so don't feel the stress of 'making the most' of the leave.

Honestly too, I'm having a tough time - severe nausea and vomiting until 17 weeks which has returned and is wiping me out, hip and back pain and now my blood pressure is up. That made me realise that I may not make it to 40 weeks and even if I do, my body is taking a battering and rest for labour and subsequent baby cannot be a bad thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.