Do parents rooms make bf'ing in public less accepted?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Propaganda

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Probably not.

Our grandmothers usually didn't have access to these rooms but also didn't feed in public.

I fed in public if I felt like it. Sometimes I hid in a cubicle not for fear of public scorn, but because I found a padded armchair in a secluded, quiet place more comfortable than a wooden bench in the middle of a noisy shopping centre.

#52 johntanya

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Never thought of it like that. I think it is great for those women who choose to do it in private.  I think it boils down to choice.  Women still have the choice to do it in public.  The other day, I saw a woman breast feed her baby in a busy eatery.

It still needs to be accepted as natural rather than something that needs to be hidden away.  I know my wife bf our oldest child in those rooms because she did feel selfconscious.  With our third, she doesn't give two hoots where she does it.  The baby needs to be fed.

Interesting point of view though.

#53 Phoenix Blue

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

I had this thread in mind today while I was at a major shopping centre with my 3 week old.

I did not see anyone breast feeding in public.

As I sat to et my lunch, DD started stirring and I had the internal debate on whether to feed her there at the cafe, or go to one of the (many, new) parents room.

Honestly I feel uncomfortable feeding in public because I think someone will tell me to go and use a parents room. A completely unfounded fear, because it hasnt happened yet.

Also, I feel a bit unco feeding because I use a huge pillow and need to hold my breast. I can't really do it discretely.

I would like to be confident enough to feed anywhere.

Actually, I just realized I did feed public ally sat week, at Hicense Arena.  I felt more comfortable feeding there because there weren't parents rooms.

So to answer to OP, yes, parents rooms make ME feel less accepted to feed in public, but I'm glad they're there, and I don't think they should.

#54 libbylu

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

I never breast fed in a parents room.  I guess it's usually on the really big malls that have them.  I'm pretty sure our local shopping centre doesn't have one.  I also breastfed DS everywhere.  I did feel mildly uncomfortable doing it on the tram when I was on my own.  I guess everyone is sort of facing everone else there.  Didn't have a problem otherwise at cafes, restaurants, on park benches etc.!

#55 darcswan

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Franny Glass @ 09/06/2012, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I generally agree with the above comments. I know this is an unpopular and perhaps militant view, but I'd really love to see more women BF in public as it would help to normalise it. I've been feeding anywhere and everywhere the past 9 weeks and quite honestly, I have seen only 1 other mother BF in public during this time. And I have daily outings! Plenty of babies in Perth too. My mum has even noticed the change, since she BF us in public in the early 80s - apparently it was a lot more common to see then and she has definitely noticed a drop-off.

I do worry that the lack of BF in public may have something to do with such low rates of BF by 6 months.

However I definitely think parents rooms are important for those who would otherwise not be BF.

Yeah.  It does seem pretty militant.  I wish breastfeeding wasn't so political!

BFing isn't even a blip on my radar - I probably couldn't tell the difference between a mum sitting there holding her baby & a mum breastfeeding as I stroll through the shops (and I can't say I care enough to stare and figure out what's going on).  

I don't think parent's rooms were intended to 'hide' BF-ing... They're just a convenience to change and feed children.

#56 kadoodle

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (new~mum~reenie @ 08/06/2012, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But.... They'd probably be less curious if they saw it every day, IYKWIM....

That's true.

One of my auntie's is an ABA counseller and training to be an LC.  Her 4 yr old was very keen to give me attachment and positioning tips this afternoon at a family get together.

I was much more modest with baby number 1 than I am now with baby number 4.

#57 niggles

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

They smell and so I avoid them, except for changing a nappy. I don't really care how accepted I am. I don't expend any energy thinking about it. I just feed the baby wherever looks comfortable.

#58 Franny Glass

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (darcswan @ 09/06/2012, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah.  It does seem pretty militant.  I wish breastfeeding wasn't so political!

BFing isn't even a blip on my radar - I probably couldn't tell the difference between a mum sitting there holding her baby & a mum breastfeeding as I stroll through the shops (and I can't say I care enough to stare and figure out what's going on).  

I don't think parent's rooms were intended to 'hide' BF-ing... They're just a convenience to change and feed children.

The fact that BFing is something carried out by women and women alone necessarily makes it political. There's no getting away from that.

Still, as I say, parents rooms are necessary and I'm glad they are there for those who choose not to feed in public.

#59 lady lady

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

NO, but I don't think BF in public is really that much of an issue in today's society.

You are always going to get some knob that might throw you a dirty look, but that's because different things upset different people. Generally, society as a whole accepts/ embraces it.  Most people are so into their own world they wouldn't even notice you are feeding in public or not ...

A parenting room is about giving a parent a choice of where to go to tend to their child for whatever reason....

#60 akkiandmalli

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 09/06/2012, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With respect, BB, that's not quite like me.  If anything I have been encouraged to feed publicly more rather than leave others to go and feed privately.

I just don't want to or like to.  I'm a big girl (at least in the bust), and I've never got the hang of feeding discreetly or on the go.  And a feed typically takes an hour.  I want to sit somewhere at least semi-comfortable where I'm not on display, feel free to wrangle my giant boobs of doom as necessary (not for the sake of others but myself), and get on with it.  I'm not the sort to be revealing in my clothes at any other time, and I don't want to start now.

this is me also.I am also in Melbourne and BF both children in feeding rooms. It is a womens choice where she feeds.

#61 sophiasmum

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

To answer OP question, no I don't think parents rooms make bf'in public less accepted. I think it makes bf'ing when out & about easier & I was grateful there was somewhere private & quiet I could go if I had the choice as opposed to a noisy foodcourt for example. But if there was no parents room I would still bf in the open, out of satifsfying the needs of my baby.

#62 Choufleur

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Now DD is a bit older we're only feeding morning and night but I know that there were times when she was quite little and she fed for a long time that I'd use the rooms, if for no other reason that they had a comfy couch. As some of the others have said I generally didn't use the rooms with a curtain, just the couch. Otherwise I just fed in public, didn't bother me.

#63 mumandboys

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have no issue with people bf-ing in public places.

It wasn't for me though, so if there were no parent rooms I would have stayed home a lot more.

#64 MuddyPuddles

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

I have some lovely parent rooms available in my area and enjoyed using them. They never smelt of nappies, were always clean and comfortable. There were a few private cubicles as well as comfy arm chairs out in the open.

If I was with a friend or out eating I would feed in public no worries, but if alone I would go to the parents room as it was much nicer for me. I could set up my pram out of people's way, baby was less distracted and there was usually some nice music playing. It was just much more relaxing for both of us than being in some crowded noisy place.

I have bfed in heaps of public places and am happy to do so, but for someone with huge boobs and a distracted baby I would generally prefer a nice parent room. The gated off toddler area will be a godsend when #2 comes along too.

As for bfers should bf in public to raise awareness, I understand the argument, however my baby and I's comfort comes first.

Edited by JBaby, 19 June 2012 - 12:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.