EB Military Families #76

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
137 replies to this topic

#26 LoveMyLife

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Mrs Puddles - I just thought I would add some advice.... there are some 'rent band choice' houses/apartments in Toowong. DONT GO FOR THEM!!!
They are shocking, tiny 2 bed apartments, with minimal storage, and there is only 1 apartment with a ting back yard.
I know, as tomorrow, we are finally being allowed to move out of ours after 3 years of requesting to be moved!!!!

In not entirely sure of where would be ideal 'middle ground' for both Enoggera or Amberley, but I know there are some rent band choice apartments in Bulimba.
Most of the married patch is either at Enoggera, or in the suburbs close to Amberley.

If I had my own choice in your situation, I would advise moving to Darra if thats an option.... Its really close to the Centenary highway and Ipswich motorway (perfect for both of your work), and has awesome train service.

#27 kaishra

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

Fountain Lakes I was thinking of (i think lol)

#28 LoveMyLife

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Springfield Lakes! lol

#29 steen2007

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

We are posting there in Jan and have a house in McDowall. It is only slightly north of base but DH can ride there.
I too have a Mr 5 going into school and will have a 2ish week old when we move! So lets me know if we can help or exchange info.

#30 Jupiter123

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

Quick question ladies I am hoping some here might know.

Once you are in a DHA property, when you post into a new location do you have to move into another DHA property or can you choose to go into a private residence and get RA?

We are currently in a DHA property, and are pretty sure we are posting out but one of the locations where we may end up almost all of the DHA properties are in a less that desirable area (high crime etc).

The other reason I would like to go into a private rental is to be closer to the city and family.

I am reluctant to call DHA until I know where we are going as it may not be an issue if we are posted to a different location to where I think we are going.

#31 Cheryl_v

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

jupiter123 - unless you have a really good reason you aren't likely to have RA approved when there are available SRs in the posting locality.  Just because the housing is in a less than desirable area is not a reason for turning down SRs, you would have to have a reason that fits PACMAN as per this section.  

Also, you are unlikely to be approved for RA until 4 weeks before your post-in date as their guidelines won't allow them to offer RA until they have exhausted all potential SR offers which include opening up other rent bands and/or larger houses.

#32 Jupiter123

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Cheryl. Its what I thought, but I was hoping it wasn't the case sad.gif

Its a bit of a mute point now anyhow has it appears, still waiting on confirmation though that we have been posted to what I would consider the end of the earth (its not really, I am just a little bitter about it right now) and not where I wanted to or thought we would be posted sad.gif

Oh well, I guess I just have to pick myself back up, dust myself off and put on a happy face as heaps of people will be happy that we are moving there but damn it I wanted the other end of the damn country.

#33 Cheryl_v

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

I sometimes think the people who work in postings look at the preferences the members put in and say "Hmm, where is the exact opposite of all these preferences?" then send us there.

#34 Jupiter123

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Just waiting on our official posting orders but pretty sure its all happening now. We have a DHA property reserved.

We are heading to Toowoomba.  cry1.gif its not where I wanted to go but it could be worse.

I guess eventually I will warm to the idea.

We have great friends in Toowoomba, family in Brisbane, and not "that" far from the coast. Also means that I can go see my Broncos team play in Brisbane occasionally.

Edited by jupiter123, 25 September 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#35 Jupiter123

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

We were unofficially notified last Friday of the posting order, which was to be announced this Friday but got made official about 30 minutes ago.

Not sure how DH managed to get DHA to give us access to homefind, but he did lol.  It was just preliminary access to view available properties, however they told us if we find one that we like to ring them up and they will allocate it to us.

There is a serious lack of available DHA properties in Toowoomba, we were lucky. I was actually hoping for RA.

#36 Jupiter123

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Fingers crossed Mrs Puddles, its been a shocking year for delays with postings.

At least now we can start planning.

We need to be in Adelaide in November as my sister and her family are flying in from Perth and we haven't seen each other in almost 2 years and its been organised for months.

Then we have to come back home to Canberra do the move to Toowoomba and then get back to Adelaide in time Christmas.

So much driving so little time.

#37 kaishra

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

could be worse Jupiter, could be Tindal lol this place really is the end of the earth, might as well be Antarctica for all the medical services you can't get grrrr

#38 *MrsA*

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Well after 3 weeks in Newcastle visiting my parents. We are home! Bubs first flight and he was a little Angel  happy.gif. So the cleaning begins - we move in 4 weeks!!! And with hubby away playing in the bush for 2 weeks it'll go quick so the cleaning begins, I have to be slightly more organised this time as there's an extra body to think of and our stuff is going into storage for the duration of the trip.

Hope everyone is having a lovely long weekend ( for those in a long weekend state) for everyone else happy Monday.

#39 Jupiter123

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Kaishra well that's true lol

I resigned from my job last week sad.gif haven't given my boss a final date yet as we are discussing me going part time remote for a few months if he can't get a suitable replacement. Hopefully he can't and I can continue working him.

Between now and Christmas we have to clean out the house and get rid of the crap we have accumulated, go to Adelaide in November for a few days, come back finish up at work and then do the move. Once the move is done we then have to fly or drive back to Adelaide for Christmas.

Today we are doing the inventory for Toll and submitting that.

Oh the joys of postings lol

#40 Jupiter123

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

That is disgusting Mrs Puddles, I was hoping to read that you had received them.... the last of our guys got their orders Friday just gone.

Just out of curiosity when you spoke to DHA did you just call the main number or the QLD office? If it was just the general number that you called, try speaking with the QLD office. We found them to be quite helpful.

#41 Cheryl_v

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

It's a real Catch-22, the more they stuff around with postings the more people decide to leave so the more they have to stuff around with postings due to lack of qualified staff for the positions.  I wish they would do something (I don't even know what they can do at this point) to get back to career management instead of crisis management.

#42 Jupiter123

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Oh that is poor form.... Congrats of finally getting the posting.

#43 BeeStrong

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if there is anyone on here that has been away at recruits while their partner was posting?

I'm really worried about how my dp is going to go enrolling the kids in a new school, buying uniforms etc while I'm away! (I'm the one who does that stuff now)

If anyone can give me some advice it would be very much appreciated!

TIA

#44 BeeStrong

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm off to 1RTU. I leave in about 3 weeks.

We have a house in our new locality so I at least know were they will be living. And DP is posted to Richmond - I think that's about 5 hours from Wagga!?

So I think once I've finished basic I might be able to help him a bit as my IET is also at Wagga. It's just all the little things thats involved with getting the kids to a new school that I'm worried about.

#45 BeeStrong

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm just enlisting.

I'm going to be at 1RTU for 6 months all up. I think I'll have some time off over christmas but not sure how long. After all of my training we are hoping that I get richmond as well.

He is due at his new squadron mid jan.

#46 kaishra

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

(the bedrooms are 3 metres square - can you even FIT two sets of bunks into that?!?)

yes it is but tell them to get stuffed, even if all your kids are boys or all girls the smallest you are entitled to is a 3bedroom, mind you i have 5 boys and our entitlement is a 4bedroom but we're in a 3 bedroom cause they reckon there are no 4 or 5 bedrooms available, no wonder since they keep putting people with no or 1 kid in 4 and 5 bedroom houses! I know of one woman who isn't even here yet and they've already locked in a 5 bedroom, she has 2 kids sad.gif DHA here are pathetic, more so that usual

#47 76 others

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hi, my husband is enlisting and is up to the panel interview part. How quickly does it all go from here?

#48 livvie7586

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (Gloriosa @ 14/11/2012, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, my husband is enlisting and is up to the panel interview part. How quickly does it all go from here?

it really depends.  With DH the whole process (so from start to his enlistment day) was a couple of months (but his enlistment date was moved forward twice).  others i've known to take longer

#49 76 others

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

So all went well with his interview and they told him on the spot that he was accepted. Now he just has to wait for his letter. Hoping it won't take too long. I was reading dome forums where some people said that theirs took longer than a year and had to redo the assessment process again  ohmy.gif  Really hoping it is not like that normally. We just want to get this underway.

#50 kaishra

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

Gloriosa my hubby got called 2 weeks after he got the ok for entry and was told to be in Melbourne on the Tuesday, from memory that was on a Wednesday, we'd only been going out for a couple of weeks so it was an unwelcome interruption but it all worked out, we got married while he was in rookies and 5 kids later we're heading towards our 10th anniversary original.gif

When he joined the navy though he had to wait about 18months, it really just depends on what they need at the time.

Edited by kaishra, 05 December 2012 - 12:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.