moses/bassinette/cot

8 replies to this topic

#1 aquarius9

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hi all,

I have a baby arriving soon. I am just wondering what sleeping arrangements people have found best. We were thinking of having a moses basket next to the bed for quick easy access to the baby. Anyone used moses baskets? Are they any better/worse than the traditional bassinette? At what age do they move into a cot?

Thanks

#2 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

For DS1 I had a hammock next to the bed and he loved it. But he took 30 minutes to settle each sleep (and he fed three hourly night and day for six months). We spent a lot of our lives patting and shushing. He went into a cot at 5 months, and into his own room at six months. We did a solid week of controlled comforting at 5.5 months and he learnt to self-settle and has been sleeping 12 hours at night and self-settling for naps since.

DS2 hated hated the hammock from day 1, and went on a cot strike at 1 week old. From 1-8 weeks, he slept in our arms during the day, and in bed with us at night. In bed was great because I'd feed him before he really woke up, and so he got used to sleeping long stretches from an early age. At 8 weeks, he went back into his cot (he was waking me up, and I was waking him up in turn) and instantly started sleeping 6-7 hours in a row, and three weeks later is sleeping 7-10 hours in a row overnight. He still has all his day naps in a sling as I'm hardly about to spend 20-30 min settling him in order to achieve a 30-40 minute nap! (they don't start to consolidate day sleeps until 4-5 months).

I'm not much of a hippie, but I do think that having DS2 close 24/7 at an early age really helped 'set' his circadian rhythm early on. He got used to sleeping long stretches at a time overnight (because he was attuned with our rhythms, and because it was so easy to re-settle him before he actually woke), and I get to go about my life during the day regardless of when he 'should' and 'shouldn't' sleep.

Anyway, that's a really indirect answer to your question. I do think every baby is different, and its hard to know what 'product' to have. If I'd bought the hammock, or even a bassinet for this baby, I'd be annoyed at the money spent because he would NOT sleep on his own for essentially the first two months. And no amount of 'teaching' helps babies at that age, they are what they are, until about 4-5 months. And by the time he would, he was well big enough for his cot. And I wanted him on the other side of the room and he can be loud and grunty.

They are used for such a short time, can you borrow a moses basket or bassinet, and buy a cot? You will definitely need a cot eventually unless you plan on co-sleeping long term... And you really can put them in a cot from day 1 if you want.

#3 Sophie11

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

I did the moses basket for the first baby...but with number two he just went straight into the cot.

#4 kelbelblue

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

i used a moses basket next to the bed with my baby, was great for peace of mind especially with first bub original.gif It only lasted us about 2 months, now I have moved her into a cot in our room a few metres from the bed. The basket would probably have lasted longer if she liked to be wrapped...
I loved it because it was so easy to move around, light weight and looks cute original.gif

#5 feralgreenthumbs

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (MsN @ 23/06/2012, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are used for such a short time, can you borrow a moses basket or bassinet, and buy a cot? You will definitely need a cot eventually unless you plan on co-sleeping long term... And you really can put them in a cot from day 1 if you want.

+ 1

DS was in a borrowed bassinette from Day 1, then into sidecar arrangement of cot, still is at 10 months.

I have a moses basket for my next one, but only because I stumbled across one for $20. I like the fact that they are lower than a traditional bassinette (and they look so nice happy.gif ) because I can have it next to the bed and see into it without having to get up myself, but I would never have bought one at the normal price of 100's as bubs will only be in it for about 3 months or so - if that.

If I couldn't borrow a bassinette/moses basket, it'd be straight into the cot or co-sleeping.

#6 Felix101

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

I was leant a bassinet and a Moses basket. I've used the Moses basket in the living area for day sleeps, although at 6 weeks he's just about grown out of it (and I'm really not sure what I'm going to do!!, but thinking its a good chance to start getting DS used to a cot...), and the bassinet is next to the bed for night.

I love having both and it works really well for me, and more importantly for DS (well I assume it does! He doesn't comment on the situation original.gif but certainly does sleep well), but as a PP said, unfortunately it can depend on the baby.

If I didn't borrow both and had to buy myself - I'd certainly have a bassinet for next to the bed but probably couldn't justify the cost of the Moses basket for 6 weeks (unless I found a cheap secondhand one...).

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

I used a cane bassinette on wheels for several months for all my babies.
I loved the fact it could follow me around the house and stay beside me in the bedroom.
OP, if you buy one make sure it is long/wide/deep enough to last for awhile.

#8 Jenferal

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

I bought a bassinet and my baby used it for 7 months or so, till she moved into her own room in the cot. Mine could detach like a  moses basket and be carried around the house or if we went to family so she could sleep in it.
I'd certainly use it again if I had another baby, we don't have room for a cot in our room and I wanted her in my room as long as possible.

#9 alxase

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Both of mine went straight into the cot when we got home from hospital, no problems at all.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.