What to do next
school

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blessedwithblueandpink

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hi My oldest son who is almost 8 is being bullied.
For the last 3 months a boy in his class is teasing him, shoving, pushing brushing past him etc... on a daily basis. It never seems to get worse than this. All very subtle and easy to hide. I have spoken to his teacher twice to see what he had observed. The teacher has said that said child is basically  socially inept and they cant isolate him . He said he would keep a close eye on him......... well nothing has changed. We have tried 2 tactics, one was loud voice say stop I dont like it, didnt work, second was not to give him a reaction at all. Neither of these has worked.
What is concerning me is now my son seems to think he just has to put up with this and says the teachers dont do anything so whats the point in telling them. This child has bullied other children in previous years too.
I am so annoyed that these kids just seem to get away with it and he has had absolutely no discipline for this what so ever.I understand that it isnt easy, but surely there has to be something they can do.
I really not sure what to do next.
Any advice
xx

#2 unicorn

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

If the teacher isn't doing anything about it, speak with the principal and ask them what strategies they are putting in place to ensure it doesn't happen again. They have a duty of care to your child and they are failing him. Put in an appearance every afternoon and ask how the day went, were there an incident? What was done to resolve it? Does that mean one of the strategies put in place isn't working? If that is the case what are they going to change to make it more effective? Keep on their case about it.

#3 beabea

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

So from what I read of the teacher's take, it's not so much about malicious intent, it's more he just doesn't know how to interact with others? (Which I guess is a common story in bullying behaviours.)

I would be bringing it up again, this time presenting yourself in agreement with the view that the boy is socially inept and needs to learn better skills. So is there anything the teacher would suggest that you do, as a parent, to help this other student learn those skills? Can the teacher describe what he is doing in school to help teach this child the social skills he needs, so that you may coordinate your message and instructions to your son with their program? When can you sit down and have a meeting with the people who are putting together an action plan to teach this child these social skills, so that you can add information from your son's perspective that might be useful in formulating or evaluating this plan? Etc.

#4 mrvicauk

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:38 PM

Hello,

First and foremost I am so sorry you are in this situation and I feel for your child too!
We had exactly the same problem with my son who is in year 1.

My advice is write an email to the teacher and the principal. Simple email not more than 3 paragraphs, and try to be emotionally detached as much as you can - though I know it is hard.
Then they must react, and not by just saying ah the kid is socially inept. The schools must provide safe environment for the children, your son is not in safe environment if he is being bullied in any way, and especially since you have had two conversations with the teachers about the same issue.

After I wrote the email to the principal and the teacher, the kid was spoken to by principal, deputy principal, and the teacher. They put a plan in action where he needs to follow the rules (basically can not say, do or  gesticulate anything unkind to my or any other child), parents have been spoken to, and also he is required to attend social behaviour class twice a week (run by a teacher). If any of the above mentioned are broken, then further action will be taken. (I guess suspension and then ...)

After the email we had a breather of about 3 days (where my child was again happy to be in school) , and then the school holidays started, so we will see how we go, I am happy to keep you posted.

So write to the school and keep the paper trail. They must react.

Hope your child's situation improves and I really feel for you!

#5 mrvicauk

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:41 PM

What an idiot - I just realised this is a post from 2012 .... oh well might help someone! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.