Your 8 month old's sleep and feeding routine

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LipStick

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

I was wondering what a day looks like with your 8 month old. When do they nap and how long are the naps for, when do they eat and what do they (also how much are they eating?), do they sleep through the night?

My DD is 8 months and this is her routine below (times may vary)

630am - wake up and breastfeed
730am - she will eat either 1/2 or a full weetbix with mi
830am - morning nap
10am - wake up and have some fruit
10 - 12:30 - this time is spent playing or going out for a walk, or going to run errands with me

12:30 - lunchtime - usually eats some pureed food I have prepared. I am going to start giving her solid food soon rather than puree as I think she is ready for that. But she will usually have a couple of tablespoons of the puree.

1:30 - afternoon nap
2:30 - wake up and play
3:00 - small snack such as a yoghurt
3 - 6 - this time is spent playing or going out somewhere. Sometimes she may need a nap around 4ish. She will have dinner at 530 (more purees but this time it's about 3ish tablespoons and some custard for dessert)
6pm - bath time
6:30 - breastfeed and bed

Then the fun begins! she wakes up quite frequently and I either soothe back to sleep or feed her.

I would be interested so see if your 8 month old has a different routine and how much they are eating. I'm afraid that due to her waking up frequently I may not be feeding her enough?

#2 sjm218

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

My DD is a rubbish day sleeper, but she's happy, so I dont fight it anymore.

6 am wake up - cereal and mashed banana 6 tblsp (guessing)

6;30 breastfeed

9 breastfeed  or 150ml EBM
9;30 nap but only if she is in the car or pram and 40 mins tops

11:30 lunch - 3 large ice cubes of puree veg and a tub of fruit with water from a cup

12 nap - usually less than an hour

1 breastfeed or 75 ml EBM

3 snack tub of yoghurt and some rice cake type thing

4 breastfeed or 75 ml EBM

5;30 dinner 4 cubes of veg plus one cube of lentils or finely chopped meat plus a tablespoon or two of yoghurt.

6 bath and play
6;15 breastfeed then bed

She mostly sleeps all night now, but occasionally will wake once for a feed.

She loves food and can take or leave EBM, she is better on the breast but still not a big feeder. I honestly think I could stop tomorrow and she wouldn't care, but iwill try to get to 12 months at least.

She is in full time LDC so that is why she has EBM.

As far as sleeping through the night I noticed a difference when we increased the protein in her food with yoghurt, lentils and meat. This has only occurred in the last month and she's really only den sleeping through with any reliability in the past two weeks.

I worry she doesn't get enough sleep, but any attempt at more ends in a very upset baby. So we gave up, she consistently get 12 at night so that is good. Her older DS was the same way.

Hope that helps.

#3 LipStick

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thanks SJM, its helpful to see what routine other babies have.

That's great that she is sleeping through the night! And if she is a happy baby during the day then I wouldn't worry about the naps (although it is a nice break when they nap isn't it!)

I have heard that an increase in protein can result in baby sleeping better at night. I try giving my DD chicken and beef and she really doesn't like it! Mind you this is in puree form with other vegetables. I am thinking of starting giving her chunks of food now, especially meat as I think that texture will be more appealing for her.

I really miss sleep! haha

#4 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

Here is our usual day.  He goes to daycare 2 days a week.

5 -530 wake up, comes into my bed for a BF/ play.  
630 - 7.  Breakfast.  Half a bowl of baby porridge ( with EBM if I have extra) with apple and pear, plus finger food fruit and toast.
8.00 Sometime a babychino or a bit of toast and egg if I go for a coffee/ breakfast.
830 morning nap.   Usually 1.5 - 2 hours if we are at home, but 45 mins if he's in the pram or car.  This nap may be as late as 930 on a swimming or day-care day.
1030 (or whenever he wakes).  BF/EBM.
1130- 1230 Lunch.   Usually half a bowl of purée meat and veggies, or cheese and veggies plus some finger food and tastes of what I am having.  
1.30   Afternoon nap is about 3 hours after he woke from his morning nap.   So usually around 130ish.  Sometimes he sleeps for 1.5 hours but usually less.
3.00 (or whenever he wakes). BF/EBM.   Sometimes some afternoon tea like a banana, or whatever daycare has on the menu.  
4.00 occasionally he'll have a catchup nap in the car or pram, if the other naps have been short.   I don't let him sleep past 430.  
5.00-530 dinner.  Usually a cup of a mushed meat/ chicken/ fish and veg adult dinner dish ( like beef strog with mushrooms, lamb stew), with some dessert ( pear purée) and some finger food ( strip of sourdough bread, apple core, steamed veggies).
615. Bath or shower
630. Story
635.  BF and then bed
830. I express to keep up with what he needs at daycare.  

Mostly he will wake around 3-4am and I resettle without feeding.  This is a bit of a battle.  But it's better than 2 hourly waking which he was doing before I nightweaned.  

#5 LipStick

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thanks meggs1 - your little one seems like a great eater! So many varied foods.

I am currently experiencing those 2 hourly wakings (although she can stretch it at times to 3 hrs!) how did you night wean if you don't mind me asking?

#6 Starblossom

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

My DS wakes up anytime between 7:30am and 10:00am. There is no consistency or routine to our days. He sometimes has one day nap, sometimes 2. He goes to bed at around 7pm most nights but this depends on how late his last nap was.

As for eating, he has dinner every night, but lunch and breakfast depend on what time he woke up and when his first nap is.

He usually eats toast or eggs for breakfast or sandwiches or sushi for lunch, but he doesn't always eat breakfast and lunch.

He wakes up a lot during the night still, but has stopped feeding to sleep so much.

#7 StopTheGoats

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

My little one is only a 7.5 months but he has 2 naps at 9:30 and 2pm for about 1.5 hours, 4 milk feeds at 7am, 2pm, 6:15pm and 10pm and three full solid feeds which all include protein (about 4 tbs each) at 8:30, 12 and 5:30 plus a snack at around 3. He sleeps through the night 4 nights out of 7 and on the other nights wakes once for a milk feed.

I'd definitely be offering an extra milk feed during the day. 2 a day isn't enough at 8 months. Also, if shes used to purees, introduce finger foods over time rather than switching straight over as finger foods are a new skill to master and her food intake will drop when you first go from purees to finger food. We treat finger foods as play at the moment as we have issues with slow weight gain.

Edited by JuniorSpies, 30 June 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#8 MAGS24

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

My DS2 is almost 8 months old and is teething a lot at the moment so hasn't been eating as much as usual. He had two bottom teeth through at about 5 months old and is currently getting six more teeth through at once so has been in a lot of discomfort and off is food a bit.
On an average weekday:
He wakes up between 6.30am-7am and has 250ml formula feed at 7.30am.
Playtime with his older brother till around 9-9.30am and then goes back to bed.
Wakes up at around 10.30-11am and has some apple slices as a snack and usually a rusk to chew on because he's teething heavily at the moment. Then playtime/tummy time till 12.30pm.
12.30 Lunch-half a small bowl of fruit/vegetable puree and 150 ml bottle of formula. Then he plays while I do things around the house and is back to bed at 2pm.
Wakes around 3.30-4pm and has half a small bowl of farax and 150ml formula.
From 4.30 onward is the busy time when DH comes home and we are getting dinner ready etc so DS2 usually plays around in the play area we set up in the dinning room attached to the kitchen so that he can interact with us all and see what we are all doing. He doesn't have the same dinner as us yet because his feed times don't coincide with our dinner time and he also doesn't need to eat the food that we eat yet so I usually give him some fruit to chew on or some yogurt and he is happy to just smile and squeal at everyone till bath time starts at 6.30.
6.30pm to 7pm is bath time. DS1 and 2 both bath together every night.
At 7.30pm DH and I swap every night where one of us does DS1's book reading and put him to bed and one of us gives DS2 his 250ml bottle in the lounge room.
DS2 has his bottle at about 7.30pm and is in bed at around 8pm every night.

DS1 has two days of preschool a week so DS2 often has his morning sleep either in the car or a bit late on those days. And if I am going out at all during the day I will usually go out in the mornings and be home in time for his midday feed so that he can stick to his routine as much as possible.
At eight months old I read that babies still need formula/BM as their primary food source so I keep the solid feeds to small amounts so that he always has enough room for 3 to 4 bottle feeds per day. I'm going to be introducing more foods like cheese and finger foods and have a bit more variety once his teething has settled down for a while.

Edited by MAGS24, 30 June 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#9 soninicole

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

Your day is remarkably like ours, except yours sleeps a lot more! Mine doesn't eat very much yet (probably my fault) but breastfeeds every 2 hours overnight - not enjoying that! He feeds more overnight than during the day I reckon!

#10 mumma_ox

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

My bubba is only 7 months, but here is our drill....bubba is not a 'good' sleeper, but she is a very happy little girl and is rarely upset by anything.

6:00-6:30am - Baby wakes
6:30-7:30am - Breakfast with Daddy before work...we do BLW so it is usually toast fingers with avocado/cashew butter/vegemite (yuk!) washed down with water and sometimes some fruit (half a banana, a few wedges of apple or orange, whatever is in the house).  Usually a quick shower with Daddy before he goes to work.
7:30-8:30am - Sit on Mummy's lap while she does uni work (or maybe reads some forums...hee hee hee)
8:30am - quick BF top up
9:00am - outside for a few hours to feed the chooks, tend to the veggies, snoop around (baby on Mummy's back in a carrier - usually get a 20 minute snooze in)
10:30am - BF then head out to do jobs/run errands/visit the grandparents
12:30pm - lunch with grandparents (varies, but usually a quarter of a sandwich with whatever is going...tomato, cheese (if we haven't already had cheese that day), salad veggies, hommus, avocado, cottage cheese...then some water and fruit and then a BF
13:00-16:00pm - hang out with grandparents - usually gardening or sewing or working on some woodworking projects (Yes, I am not your usual Mummy!)...occassionally bubba has a snooze for up to an hour in portacot - this will start with a BF
16:00pm - afternoon tea at grandparents with Daddy...usually a small piece of homecooked biscuit and BF
18:00pm - home for dinner - again varies, but whatever is going - casseroles in slow cooker, pasta with broccoli, grilled meat and veggies, fish, anything...all just taken from our plates
18:30-19:00pm - clean up from dinner - play with Daddy and sometimes a bath (particularly if dinner was a messy affair!)
19:30pm - BF and sometimes a snooze for 30 minutes at most in the loungeroom (not often now, though)
20:00-whenever pm - Happily playing about in loungeroom with Mummy and Daddy.

Bed..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#11 50ftqueenie

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

DS is 8.5 months, a typical weekday is like this (weekends are all over the place).  Times are just an indication.

06:00 DS wakes, BF then cuddles in bed until DD wakes
07:30 Breakfast.  Half a weetbix or some porridge with pureed pears and a splash of milk
09:00 Nap (45mins to 1.5 hours)
10:00 BF
12:30 Lunch - mashed up meat and vegies, or polenta and packet of pureed fruit, toast, banana
1:30 Nap (1-1.5 hours)
3:00 BF
5:30 Dinner - bits of whatever we are having.  He isn't a fan of vegies, but will eat them mixed up with fish/chicken/beef
06:00 Bath, BF, stories and bed at around 6:30 - 07:00

He will sleep all night most nights.  Sometimes wakes and just needs a few pats to get back to sleep.  Once every few weeks he will feed overnight for a few days and then go back to sleeping through.

#12 Tesseract

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I agree with the PP who suggested more breastfeeds during the day, unless your bub is refusing them? I did breastfeed an hour before solids at least until 12 months.

Also a good finger food meat to start with is home made meat balls. They are the perfect size for little hands and they are easy for bubs to bite off and eat. In fact if you make them shaped like little sausages they are even easier for bubs to manage because they are long enough to hold one end and eat the other.

#13 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

we dont follow any routine, but at 8 months we were roughly:
8ish wake boob brekkie (porridge)
9ish leave the house for swimming/playgroup/shopping have morning tea 1030ish
11ish nap and boob
12 lunch
play, boob housework
2-3 nap then arvo tea
330 pick up dh
daddy time
6ish dinner bath book teeth boob
8ish bed
occaisional 3am boob

#14 WinterIsComing

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Not my thread but I am surprised that people give their children bread (toast) at some meals. I thought it was for over 1 year old? Do children start eating 'human" food so early?

Personally, I was planning to give a mash of steamed meat, fish, veggies and fruit for most of the year....

Am I missing something? Are babies supposed to be such advanced eaters so early?

Edited by Nat1976, 11 July 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#15 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

we have never fed our kids mush. (though dds first foods were boiled pumpkin which ended up pretty soft, and congee which is a savory rice pudding similar to risotto)
corn cobs are an all time fav from starting solids in our family
i was wary of bread as my sister is coeliac, but dd has had it since around 7 months.

#16 Let-it-go

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

DS is just over 7mo and his routine is as follows.....kind of.....he is fairly flexible during the day which is quite nice especially with a 3yo.  DD was SO routine so it is hard to get used to the unpredictability but nice to be able to get more done and still have happy bubba.

Between 4 and 6am bfeed and back to sleep
730am up for the day.  Breaky of rice cereal & milk but I have just changed to Millet prorridge.
9am Morning nap.  1hr if at home, less out and about
10ish bfeed
1130 lunch, pureed veges & fruit.  Interested to see comments about the protien, that will be my next project!
Might have another catnap around this time if his morning nap was short.
1ish bfeed
130-2 Big nap.  Love this bit....he sleeps for up to 2 hrs
Wake up bfeed.
4 yogurt snack
5pm dinner of veges & fruit
630 formula bottle
7pm bedtime.  He then sleeps thru until 4ish, 6 on a good night.

I think there is usually another bfeed in there especially in the late arvo when he seems to be constantly hungry and tired.

#17 Tesseract

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Nat1976 @ 11/07/2012, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not my thread but I am surprised that people give their children bread (toast) at some meals. I thought it was for over 1 year old? Do children start eating 'human" food so early?

Personally, I was planning to give a mash of steamed meat, fish, veggies and fruit for most of the year....

Am I missing something? Are babies supposed to be such advanced eaters so early?

The advice I got from my MCHN was that babies start with purées and progress to 'family foods' (what you eat) BY age one. So the idea is that you first do smooth purees, then after a month or so make them lumper, then introduce finger foods, gradually move so that by the time they're 12 months they are eating what you're eating, perhaps cut up small or lightly mashed.

Others take a different approach and do what's called baby-led weaning (you might see the acronym around here BLW). With BLW you don't mash or spoon feed your baby at all. From 6 months you just put finger food in front of them and they play with it and bite bits off and eat it. Starting with things like fingers of roasted veggies, meatballs (a I suggested to the OP), and yes toast! Toast is a great food, especially because you can spread it with goodies like avocado and hummus. I fed toast from as soon as we started solids at 6 months. The idea behind this method is that because the baby controls what and how much they eat, they maintain a healthy regulation of their own appetite. Also because they are exposed to family foods early on they later enjoy a wider selection of food. Also it's quite handy not to have to prepare seperate food or spoon feed the baby while your own meal gets cold, and it's quite easy when out and about because you don't have to take along special food for the baby. I have fed my baby like this and she was eating a big bowl of chilli prawn spaghetti by 8 months, so it certainly is possible for a baby to be such an 'advanced eater' original.gif

#18 Janey28

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

My DS is 7.5 months and his day is roughly as follows

7am - wake and 210ml bottle
8:30am - Rice cereal and fruit
9:30 - Nap for usually 1.5 hours
11am - 210ml bottle
1pm - Lunch - Toast with Avocado and yogurt or fruit or veges
2pm - Sleep for another 1.5 hours
3:30 - 210ml bottle
5pm - dinner (meat and veg)
7pm- 210ml bottle and bed

Doesn't feed overnight

Nat - I give my DS toast fingers with avocado to practice eating - he loves it and I don't think he actually eats much of it but it usually keeps him entertained for 15 minutes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.