Due In Sept 2012 Chat Thread #4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

#26 Bksa

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hi all

Thank you so much for your warm welcomes! I just wanted to check what a previous poster said about Gvt Paternity leave - is it really only payable after January? I thought I read somewhere that it was payable for babies born after 1 July?

Can my husband take leave in January for our september baby and be paid? Does anyone know?

Also I wanted to share a funny story - we went to a day long antenatal course at our hospital on Saturday - it was quite tiring but very informative. My husband is a little scared about the whole birthing process but thought it was quite helpful - he even opted to see the "fresh" placenta when it was offered to our class!! (I barely coped with that!). The funniest part though was the information session with the physio, where she started chanting loudly "say YES to your uterus ladies!!" It made the day more enjoyable!

Hope you're all going well, it's exciting to hear that baby showers are starting original.gif

#27 Future-self

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Bksa @ 11/07/2012, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can my husband take leave in January for our september baby and be paid? Does anyone know?

As far as I know, it is for births after January 1st 2013 so I thought No. The news articles are annoying me about this, they keep referring to the 18 weeks Primary carer leave as "Paid leave for Mums" . Grr, No, it's for Primary carers - male or female!
Sorry, vent over!  biggrin.gif

Edited by futureself, 11 July 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#28 blanky88

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hi everyone

I'm in the same boat as Bksa. I've been stalking this forum for some time now but never wrote in here! I agree that this forum is so informative and reassures you on things you think are 'not quite right' as this is my first pregnancy.

I'm from Melbourne and due on 12 September, so not long to go now! Haven't found out what I'm having so it will be a surprise, hoping it's actually going to help me push harder because I don't know the sex yet haha

In relation to the PPL discussion, futureself, you are correct it is for births after 1st January 2013...spewing we just miss out!

I hope everyone's pregnancies are going well original.gif We've got antenatal classes for 6 hours on Saturday and again next Saturday!

#29 louiseos

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Just a super quick reply as I'm on my mobile and out & about ...

My understanding is PPL is paid for babies born or adopted on or after 1 January 2011.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/s...al-leave-scheme

I thought some of the PPL can be signed over to the other parent.

Where is 2013 coming from?

Edited by louiseos, 11 July 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#30 Future-self

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (louiseos @ 11/07/2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a super quick reply as I'm on my mobile and out & about ...

My understanding is PPL is paid for babies born or adopted on or after 1 January 2011.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/s...al-leave-scheme

I thought some of the PPL can be signed over to the other parent.

Where is 2013 coming from?

Different thing. It's been quite quiet actually but the ALP has introduced 2 weeks of paid paternal (as in Father) leave as of January 2013. It's to encourage Fathers to stay home with Mum an Baby for those first few weeks without being penalised. It's a great idea

http://www.alp.org.au/federal-government/n...h-their-babies/

#31 *littlemiracles*

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

What a bugger we miss out on paternity leave!!!! Although DH will still take a few weeks off to spend time with bub and I when I come out of hospital and then DD is on school holidays so we will have some nice family time together!!!

Slowly getting organised here - I like to be organised normally so have started focusing on the things left to buy and adding them to my shopping list each fortnight - things like maternity pads ( rolleyes.gif )
and nappies etc and toiletries for hospital. Bubs bag is pretty much packed and ready to go so I will start on mine soon - just making a list of clothes as the comfy ones I want to take into hospital are the ones I like to wear now LOL.
Went back to work after 2 weeks off this week - OMG is it killing me!!!! My job is pretty much on my feet for the whole 7.5 hrs + a day (depending on when we actually finish getting everything done) with a paid lunch break so we don't actually get to stop and leave seeing as their is only 2 of us there all day so by this time of night I am exhausted. However it has helped with the sleeping issues. I still wake up for toilet stops and also rolling over issues so many times but am able to get back to sleep rather than lie awake for hours. My naturopath gave me something to help keep calm, aid digestion (aka heartburn issues) and still give me a magnesium and other vitamin boost and it should also help with sleeping. Not sure whether it is this or just pure exhaustion that is helping my sleeping but something sure is!
Have been making a list of names that I like and better get on to discussing with DH soon I suppose. Belly has certainly grown a bit in last few weeks and put on a bit more weight too - am noticing that with my back by the end of the day. Have hit the 4KG mark now from my pre preg weight which for my little frame is huge!!! LOL.
At the moment bub is I am sure doing somersaults or something. My belly is going mental. So reassuring - I love feeling her moving about so much and it makes me laugh to see my belly moving about! Can't wait to finish up work in 3 weeks to enjoy some relaxation time at home and bond more with my precious girl before she arrives  biggrin.gif

Other than that, all is going really well and hope everyone else is too. Some of you are a few weeks in front of me - will be counting down the days with you all very soon. I am just hanging until my 36 week appt so I get the eviction date  unsure.gif - yay!!!!!

Take care of those belly bumps and enjoy the last but tiring part of your pregnancies xxx

#32 louiseos

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (futureself @ 11/07/2012, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Different thing. It's been quite quiet actually but the ALP has introduced 2 weeks of paid paternal (as in Father) leave as of January 2013. It's to encourage Fathers to stay home with Mum an Baby for those first few weeks without being penalised. It's a great idea

http://www.alp.org.au/federal-government/n...h-their-babies/

Thanks for explaining paternal! wink.gif LOL

I've read that article you posted the link for & noted:

Whilst the article says:

Australia’s first national Paid Parental Leave scheme, delivered by Federal Labor, starts in just four months on 1 January next year. 

It also says:

Federal Labor’s new entitlement for two weeks dedicated paternity leave pay will be made available to eligible dads from 1 July 2012.

Doesn't that mean that those of us in this group can access it, although not until the program starts in January?

Perhaps I'm missing something - it is early, I've got baby brain & I'm trying to access both sites through my iPhone ...

#33 Catirving

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I suddenly realised yesterday that although I am pretty well sorted, I don't have any maternity bras, and I'm afraid I'll leak all over them while I'm trying them on! This is going to involve some deft maneuvering and a set of washable breast pads. It's hard enough getting in and out of clothes at the moment...add a tiny dressing room, lunch time restraints and leaky boobs and the trauma of buying bras at the best of times, then I should have an interesting day!

Glad to hear most of you are well, and welcome to our outed stalkers! Not long now, ladies, and boy, am I feeling it. I'm glad I've chosen to leave work in week 38 - only 4 and a bit weeks of work to go. I keep getting a foot kicking me OVER my ribs - weird.

Does anyone else wake up with achy hips when they are sleeping on their sides? Even sleeping is getting painful. I think I'll be well used to disrupted sleep when this little one finally arrives.

#34 Sar333

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

yes, very achy hips, not fun at all- just want to roll onto my back!
Baby is getting more and more violent, i think it's doing karate practice in there, but it's still nice to feel it busy using it's new muscles original.gif . Midwife says the movements will be less intense soon as the baby runs out of room to move about so much.

Those kicks to the diaphragm are quite something though, I know the fitness has gone downhill since stopping running but to be out of breath just sitting down is quite a sensation!

Only have the car seat left to get for the little one now and am completely at a loss for what to get, everyone seems to say something different! Maybe I'll just close my eyes and point...

xox

#35 heliwifeBecG

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

I am finishing at 36wks and I have already reduced my hours down to 9 - 3 with no break so im still doing a decent days work I guess. I was getting absolutely buggered. I can't wait...5 weeks to go as of Monday! Woohoo..then the real fun begins with finalising the reno's. unsure.gif

I am getting really uncomfortable now and sleep and I are no longer friends...Littlemiracles I have the exact same problems as you! Last night I was lucky if I got a total of about 3 hrs sleep.

Had doc appointment this morning and head is engaged and sitting very low - which explains the immense pressure that I have been getting in the last few days! I said to doc "but I still have 10 weeks to go" and his reply was "maybe not!". Oh it would be lovely to have bub arrive a little early considering how excited we are about her arrival - however it will be my lukc that I go the  full 10days overdue and need to be induced. unsure.gif Hope not!

Everything else is going pretty good, blood pressure is lower but they aren't concerned as bubs is still very active and good heart beat etc etc, and its better to be lower rather than higher.  Talk about active bub, she is definately telling me when she is not happy with the way I am lying...had a kick a few nights ago that woke me up and bought tears to the eyes. gosh knows what she got, but by geez it bloody hurt. On the right hand side in between hip and belly button. Getting a good laugh in the evening when I am kicking back on the couch and my belly is going all crazy with movements - its almost alien like but such an amazing feeling.

Hope all is good with everyone else!

x

#36 Future-self

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (louiseos @ 12/07/2012, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for explaining paternal! wink.gif LOL

Sorry! laugh.gif That was stupid of me, but I'm so used to seeing confusion about Parental and Paternal leave and I just didn't think. I didn't mean to be patronising I swear!

QUOTE (louiseos @ 12/07/2012, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst the article says:

Australia€™s first national Paid Parental Leave scheme, delivered by Federal Labor, starts in just four months on 1 January next year. 

It also says:

Federal Labor€™s new entitlement for two weeks dedicated paternity leave pay will be made available to eligible dads from 1 July 2012.

Doesn't that mean that those of us in this group can access it, although not until the program starts in January?

Perhaps I'm missing something - it is early, I've got baby brain & I'm trying to access both sites through my iPhone ...

ETD: My fault, that info on the ALP site is from 2010. The amendment was only passed 2 weeks ago and is now stating January 2013

Edited by futureself, 12 July 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#37 mummaniki

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (blanky88 @ 11/07/2012, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone

I'm in the same boat as Bksa. I've been stalking this forum for some time now but never wrote in here! I agree that this forum is so informative and reassures you on things you think are 'not quite right' as this is my first pregnancy.

I'm from Melbourne and due on 12 September, so not long to go now! Haven't found out what I'm having so it will be a surprise, hoping it's actually going to help me push harder because I don't know the sex yet haha

In relation to the PPL discussion, futureself, you are correct it is for births after 1st January 2013...spewing we just miss out!

I hope everyone's pregnancies are going well original.gif We've got antenatal classes for 6 hours on Saturday and again next Saturday!

Hey im in the exact same boat, in melbourne due the 12 and dont know the sex of our little buundle, like you im hoping it will give me that extra strength. Where are you antenatal classes? our booking was lost so fingers crossed we can still get in sad.gif

#38 Rach42

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

I don't know how any of you are working at the moment - I am just so tired all the time!  Plus I seem to be getting Braxton Hicks contractions strong enough for me to go "ooh that's a bit tight!"  I feel so stretched and huge too and don't know how I am supposed to last another 10 or so weeks!

I'm impatient to meet my baby girl and know that she is ok - she is certainly active enough and at my last antenatal appointment the midwife said she had a good, strong heartbeat biggrin.gif

Hope everyone else is travelling well too!

#39 Morti

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

I hear you on the BHs, Rach42!!  I go through periods where I'm just having one after the other and some of them are mildly painful also (not just uncomfortable), especially in the lower back. Very reminiscent of early labour!!  I was having a nap just this afternoon and was woken up by a particularly strong one.  Knowing my luck though, it doesn't indicate a somewhat early labour (I'm sick to death of being pregnant by now and would be very happy to only go to 36 or 37 weeks!)... I suppose I'll go to about 41 weeks just as I did with my other 3.

Having said that, I'm in a bit of a panic these days.... I still don't have the nursery set up for bubs (so many things still left to buy, but have just moved house and still need to get organised!! ohmy.gif ).  

Is everyone else sorted in regards to baby's arrival? original.gif  I have baby's hospital bag packed, but not mine yet.

Edited by Morti, 18 July 2012 - 03:24 AM.

#40 tinkster23

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Just quickly- morti I'm so not ready.
Nursery is still a bomb site, no bag packed...nothing

Plus I spent the last 2 days not being able to walk due to bad pelvic pain, which has scared the sh*t outta me, so will be getting more organised asap

Four shifts to go!

original.gif

#41 sg290780

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Rach42: How was the wedding?? I am sure it was gorgeous, hope the dress fit ok...  I am getting married on Sunday I very small special ceremony. I am in denial about trying my dress on... it was an off the rack at an outlet reduced from $140 to $20. My friends think that is hilarious.

I am getting very excited between the wedding and meeting our little boy. He seems to be getting stronger everyday - although I am still quite small for 33 weeks.

Is anyone else thinking about usnig accupuncture to assist goign into labour after 38 weeks?? I have never gone into labour naturally and have a few friends who have used it with success so I am trying it. My dr's said they dont mind.

I cant remember who asked but my belly button is right out like a button... so hiliarous.

Love hearing everyone's news - we are all getting so close now!! bbabyflip.gif

#42 Bksa

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks to everyone for the clarification re the paternity leave - bit of a bummer, but as we didn't expect it when I got pregnant I guess it's no real loss.

I'm definitely starting to feel quite stretched! Also, if I do too much walking (or dancing like I did at a wedding recently) I'm starting to feel sort of internally bruised in the pelvic region - is this normal?!!!

I had an appointment with my OB on tuesday and she casually said to me (after my examination) "have you booked in for another ultrasound? Most people do it around 34/35 weeks just to see the growth of the baby etc" - she then proceeded to book me in for one in week 34. I am half thinking that there is more purpose than her casual demeanour suggested as I thought I was done with ultrasounds - is anyone here getting any more ultrasounds, or does anyone know why she would now be suggesting one?

My pregnancy has been completely uneventful, and growth/heartbeat etc all look normal. My fundal size was 33cm on tuesday and I was 31 + 4, so that's normal too I thought.

To answer a PP I haven't thought about acupuncture, but am interested in hearing more. My OB has highly recommended the epi-no machines to prepare for birth - my husband is a little afraid of them! (but I'm keen to try anything that will reduce the need for stitches)

Hope everyone is well and resting up biggrin.gif

Edited by Bksa, 19 July 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#43 Catirving

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

OK, stupid question time...do our boobs get even bigger when the milk comes in? If so, there really isn't any point in buying maternity bras yet, is there? I tried some on the other day and it was just as demoralising as buying them normally. I didn't find any that fitted.

Also, have any of you used the silicon breast pads that supposedly work by pressure? Seems like I'm going to be using these things for some time to come.

#44 Rach42

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

sg290780 The wedding went really well thanks for asking - we had a great time biggrin.gif  I kind of felt a bit self concious at first being so huge - I felt as if I looked like a big marshmallow or something laughing2.gif  but everyone said I looked lovely and the atmosphere was so casual and relaxed I soon got over that feeling.  Your dress cost about the same amount as mine!  I figured we have enough to spend money on at the moment.  Enjoy your day on Sunday biggrin.gif

With DS2 I went into labour after a rather long drive over a bumpy road - I don't recommend that method for getting things started!

Bksa I have been feeling bruised in the pelvic region for a while now - it comes and goes a bit but it's all to do with SPD I think as the ligaments keeping your pelvis together stretch and loosen.  So yeah normal but annoying.

Catirving In previous pregnancies/births my boobs didn't get bigger when my milk came in thank god so I'm hoping they don't this time either but I have heard that it is a common occurance.

I spent most of last night getting BH contractions at very short intervals.  If they were more painful I'd have been worried I was going in to labour!  I don't remember feeling them quite so regularly last time and it was pretty hard to get to sleep with them.  I think it's normal but I hope it's not going to be like that for the rest of my pregnancy.  On the other hand it was a little exciting thinking that my body was getting ready for birth original.gif

#45 Want_to_be_a_mummy

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

How is everyone going? It's hard to believe that we are getting so close to finally meeting our babies. I went and saw my obstetrician yesterday and due to my GD and high blood pressure I am going to be induced in 6/7 weeks. I haven't really thought about the birth until now and I am really starting to feel scared!! 6 weeks is so close!!! I'm still hoping to work for another 5 weeks.

#46 mummaniki

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Wow we are all getting so close now i love reading how everyone is going and how its different for us all original.gif makes each journey a little bit more special.

Today i went in for my ultrasound due to having GD, Bub was being very stubborn and cheeky not moving when they needed it to and then going crazy when they wanted bub still heheh very cute to watch on the screen. Bub is measuring a little over average which i will say has me a little scared they didnt really go into details thats all they said. I have an appointment on Monday so im hoping will find out more then, i did have a few tears but nothing can be done im managing the GD really well with just diet so not really sure what else i can do.

Cant wait to meet our little one but so much to do in the meantime, Have a lovely weeekend everyone put your feet up and enjoy original.gif

#47 tinkster23

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Another one who had an appt today.  I've been having some major pelvic pain this week, I've been pretty much unable to walk. sad.gif. So I rang my ob and booked an extra appt, he walked up the hallway before me and by the time I'd gotten to his office I had tears streaming down my face from the pain, he was quite concerned. He's said no more work, threatened me with hospital admission to enforce rest and has said he hopes we can keep baby in til 38 weeks. I think that sometime over the weekend baby moved head down, and my pelvis has just given up the ghost. He said the head is well down and it's a "fairly decent sized head". I'm having another scan in a couple of weeks to see how big this one is going to be. Jack was 10ll11oz, 4.85kg, so my pelvis carried him but seems to be objecting to this one

Has been a hard day, I'm very independent, and having to rely on someone else to do pretty much everything is beyond hard for me. I'm hoping with continued physio and chiro I'll get some improvement, but it really hasn't got better this week, despite multiple appts with both.

So, for the mean time I'm booked for a 38 week c/s and he said if I rest I'll get there, so I'm trying really hard to just sit and rest.

Hope everyone else had a better week.  can't believe my baby will be here in 49 days! Scary scary thought.

#48 *Mumma-to-A*

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

tinkster - that sounds uncomfortable - my back has played up in this pregnancy but nothing like your pain.

Cativing - Make sure you look for nursing bras and not the mistake my friend made and brought maternity bras which don't drop down. When my milk came in I was rock hard not really bigger if that makes sense. PS I love breastfeeding tops with the built in bra as I didn't need to worry about my post partum tummy showing and they were easier to get out of the house.

I can't remember a single thing else from 3 pages I just read.

SG - have a fantastic time at your wedding!

#49 MKTWINS

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Tinkster23 - I really do know how you feel.

The pain for me was much like yours, although I didn't have little ones to look after then (I was pregnant with my twins). I was actually on crutches- I don't know if that's something you would consider as it takes the pain away a little and at least you can move around - although probably not how you pictured pregnancy - I certainly didn't!

My Ob was shocked - she'd never seen anything like it! The pain was when the babies heads were pushing on my pelvic area! Yikes! I've never experienced anything like it! As soon as I gave birth though it went away (via c-section also). So there is a light.... So far this pregnancy (30 weeks tomorrow  original.gif ) no pain at all and I'm moving freely.

As for me, this pregnancy has been stressful but we did get the all clear from Mater hospital at this stage, based on my scan and latest bloods. I'm rh- and have created antibodies against positive blood type - which the baby is. We still need to be monitored with fortnightly blood tests and scans but at this stage she's looking well!

My lovely Ob (via the public system) has confirmed he will be doing my c-section - which I'm relieved about! He's been looking after me the whole time and I trust him so that's made it less stressful. The hospital  usually have a registrar doing them.

Good luck everyone.... it's getting close now!

#50 Rach42

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

tinkster23 Ouch!  That sounds awful - I get some pain but nothing like you are having sad.gif  I can understand the frustration at having to have someone else do things for you too - I also hate having to rely on people like that and not just get on with it myself.  

MKTWINS glad everything is looking well at this stage - must be very stressful for you.  

I'm still getting a few uncomfortable BH contractions but thankfully not as frequent or bad as the other night.  

I picked up a new mattress for the bassinette the other day and moved it into our room.  The only other thing I want to get is some Window Sox for the car.  I found them brilliant for the other kids as you can still put the windows up and down with them on and see through them easily.  Then I think that is it and we just wait for our little bub to arrive! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.