Paying for a private room in a public hospital?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kasbubba1

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi all, Wondering if anyone can enlighten me... firstly if there is such a thing as paying for a private/single room in a public hospital and if anyone has, how much is it? Might seem strange but am loathing paying so much for private health insurance and only wanting the public hospital birth centre/midwife experience (as I did for my first). The only thing I didnt like about public hospital was sharing a room afterwards  sad.gif!
I recall in the hospital tour last time the midwife mentioned it but I could have been mistaken.
Thanks anyone for helping!

#2 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Woops - thought you meant paying for a room in a private hospita (ie: self insured).

Edited by ednaboo, 21 July 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#3 Shellby

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Public hospital can't really promise you a private room even if you pay as its goes to who needs it first, then if its not needed then they give it out to private patients as they make more money - I remember when I stayed privately at 35 weeks with my second, I spent 2 nights in a shared room, then 3 nights in a private room - the shared room was charged $400 a night to my health fund and the private was $1000 which is why they wanted me in the room over a public patient if it wasn't needed.

When I was giving birth the first time we were told for their single room ward with private bathrooms it was booked on first on the list (different area to the rest of the maternity ward and not for patients needing high care) and to get a room you need to tell them the moment you arrived at the birthing suite and your name went on the list and most likely to get a room - most women waited until they had already given birth and spent a night on the shared ward or single room without private bathroom and then asked to go on the list and normally missed out. DH put my name down and I got a room each time, once public and once private.

BTW the prices I gave were 8 years ago now - so hate to know what they charge now.

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

Not in most public hospitals. The private rooms go to the patients who need them, not the ones who pay for them.

#5 Phascogale

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

You'll need to confirm this with the hospital as it will be individual.  I heard about this recently where women were going private for the hospital room but using midwife care and a midwife to catch their baby.  You may prefer to use private health insurance, otherwise you'll be up for a stack of money.  Is not sharing a room worth $700 to you a night (or whatever it is now)

But no guarantees of a private room.  Occasionally they are all full up and you get the first available room.

#6 Steggles

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Another reason I loved not staying - splash the cash on luxury items and get to sleep on your own bed - hate hospital!!

#7 kasbubba1

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for all your replys, a big help!
I got DH to call the hospital direct (RPA) and he actually got some useful info off them.. Basically they said it costs $579 per night to opt for a private room but you have to pay 5 nights up front then they will rebate you for the amount of nights you didnt stay (that makes sense right?!) I say 'opt' because of course if there's no private rooms available, there's just none available and they do have to go to private patients first. Fortunately though, the lady said there is a really good chance most days of getting one and that they are actually really keen for people to pay them direct original.gif. Im keen on that too, much prefer to pay the hospital which helped me deliver my bubs money rather than the health fund. Obviously Im preying for a nice smooth delivery and just one night!!

#8 MrsShine

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

This is a great post and something I too have been thinking about a lot.
I'm not pregnant yet but we are TTC and I am a control freak & have started researching as much as possible in advance.
I had an operation(Lletz) at RHW in Randwick last year & was pretty happy with the care and have had great follow up with one particular OB GYN there (I know I can't name names). Being a 5 min drive from one of the best maternity and children's hospitals in Australia, to me it's a non brainier to use it and not pay for the private POW next door.  But of course like anyone I'd like my own room, and continuity of care. I have a few friends who have had babies lately & all have gone private and cannot believe I would even consider going public. To be honest my husband & I could afford to pay private, and being English he is so anti private health. I'm on a basic level of cover and after we got married 6 months ago I rang my PH provider to look into upping my cover which would have been double what I pay now to cover birth & obstetrics. I had a frank & honest discussion with the lady and she basically said that if I'm intending on having a baby in a public hospital it was really unnecessary to pay the extra. My DH says that if & when we fall pregnant he's happy to pay whatever is required direct.
A lot of friends have paid upwards of $100 a month for years and then still been out of pocket 5-10k even so after having babies ( Mater, San, RNS private etc.)
I'd like to know if anyone has paid for private OB care and a private room at RHW. Especially, how did you go about engaging an OB through the public hospital system. I know it's on a first come first served basis for the room and only if available but please reply if you've had a similar experience or have any info.

#9 porkchop's mama

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (kasbubba1 @ 04/07/2012, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all your replys, a big help!
I got DH to call the hospital direct (RPA) and he actually got some useful info off them.. Basically they said it costs $579 per night to opt for a private room but you have to pay 5 nights up front then they will rebate you for the amount of nights you didnt stay (that makes sense right?!) I say 'opt' because of course if there's no private rooms available, there's just none available and they do have to go to private patients first. Fortunately though, the lady said there is a really good chance most days of getting one and that they are actually really keen for people to pay them direct original.gif. Im keen on that too, much prefer to pay the hospital which helped me deliver my bubs money rather than the health fund. Obviously Im preying for a nice smooth delivery and just one night!!

kas - really appreciate this info.  Thanks for postin it.  I'm going to RPA as a private patient and was wondering about the costs for a private room as well as availability.

Agree with you about paying the hospital direct.

#10 antigone_

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

I was at RPA for both mine and got a private room while going through the public system for the births. With my second I spent one night in a shared room and then a private room became available.

Both stays were awesome and I would do it again, no hesitation. The staff are wonderful too.

#11 Soontobegran

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (kasbubba1 @ 04/07/2012, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say 'opt' because of course if there's no private rooms available, there's just none available and they do have to go to private patients first.

Hi, I just read your post and thought I'd comment on this, I hope you don't mind.
Unless you actually spoke to the unit manager of the post natal ward or the nursing coordinator you may have not received the best advice as to availability of single rooms.

In a public hospital they are actually allocated according to need and not according to whether you are willing to pay the extra or have PHI.
It would be a good idea to find out the ratio of single rooms to shared rooms because it would only take a couple of sick mums or mums with sick babies or there being a number of C/S patients at the time you may find it not an option to have the room.

I don't know this hospital so there may be plenty available and it isn't a problem but I do know that what you get told by the admission/booking office and the actual ward staff about bed allocation is often quite different.
Hopefully this won't be an issue for you but I thought it best to prepare you as I have seen the bed allocation miscommunicated very often leaving many patients quite upset.
Good luck.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (porkchop's mama @ 19/07/2012, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to RPA as a private patient and was wondering about the costs for a private room as well as availability.

Agree with you about paying the hospital direct.

As a private in public you will not have any up front hospital costs at all  original.gif

#13 porkchop's mama

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 21/07/2012, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a private in public you will not have any up front hospital costs at all  original.gif

Thanks for that, soontobegran - it's my pregnant brain.  It's clicked. :-)

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

You're welcome  original.gif

#15 niban

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

RPA has a very high proportion of single rooms and the rest are doubles I think. I had a c-section and was in a double room which I had to myself for the 2 nights I stayed in 2010 (public birth, originally going through the BC). When I walked around the ward there were a good 5+ singles empty in one wing alone, of course this will depend on how busy they are.  

HTH

#16 wannabe30

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

RPA has a lot of single rooms, so as a private patient you stand a pretty good chance of getting one.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Sounds promising OP:-)

There is definitely a trend for public hospitals when being renovated or built to build with more singles and less shared.
Beats the 6 bed rooms we used to have at our old hospital. It was just awful to have to tell a private patient paying thousands for PHI that they had to share a room with 5 others...even just for one night. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.