Masterchef party ideas please!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Procrastinator5000

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'm planning a Masterchef party for DS's 7th birthday, and trying to think through how it could work.

He has a lot of adult friends and relatives who'll be there, so the activities and food could be a mix of things that appeal to both adults and kids. I was thinking, like, if there's a way there could be cooking challenges where the adults have to do funny things, or where adults are pitted against kids.. I don't know.. still tossing around ideas.. The adults might be happy enough to just watch the kids play games, but it would be nice to get them all involved.

I've read through other threads on cooking parties but they are mostly focussed on kids' activities, like decorating cookies.

I got a few ideas from them though..

- All the food could be assembly-based, like make your own mini burgers, make your own sundaes, nachos, vietnamese rice rolls, etc, with the different ingredients laid out.
- Lolly jar where all the guests have a chance to guess how many are in the jar and win it at the end of the party.
- A cupcake decorating station

Anyone else have creative ideas? Especially any ideas for 'challenges' or fun games that can include both adults and kids.

Edited by Procrastinator5000, 06 July 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#2 bark

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

What about 'guess the ingredients'

#3 Chelara

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Maybe a name that lolly blindfolded taste test, a sundae station with a selection of icecreams and toppings, maybe some sort of peeling contest ie peel an apple to make the skin as long as possible.

#4 Sar333

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

assembly based team relay challenges are fun. I ran a masterchef party last year for 9 yr old girls and had heaps ingredients layed out, each team had a blender and team members would take it in tern to choose an ingredient and add it to the blender, at the the end we blended the "smoothies" and we all tasted a little and judged the best, it was very funny. We also did a bit of a masterclass with the kids helping, we made honeycomb as it is very simple (sugar, water, syrup and bi carb soda) and very impressive when you add the bi carb and it all froths up

#5 CountryFeral

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

DO you know anyone who has one of those little (I think they are Dutch?) individual pancake sets? Where you have a tiny frypan over a metho burner (like a fondue)..

I went to a fab dinner party once where we had them, there was one frypan between two people and a table full of pre cut ingredients.. and sauces/marinades

You did your own little stir fry!

Then the host went and washed the fry pans and we all made individual crepes - the platters full of veggies and meat were replaced by fresh fruit, ices creams and jugs of pancake batter.

Best fun ever!

QUOTE (woofer @ 06/07/2012, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about 'guess the ingredients'

My BIL (a chef) does that with my nephews all the time - it is so sweet watching the boys concentrating so hard to try and work out the 'mystery ingredient'.

#6 Procrastinator5000

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

These ideas are fantastic, wow, thank you. Will take it all on board. I love the guess-the-ingredient idea, and the team smoothie idea... and many others, thanks again.

Mel, I think those are poffertjes. Interesting thought. I do have an electric crepe maker..

Only problem now is coming to terms with the idea that I have a 7 year old.. *sob*!

#7 Thestral

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

How about making chef hats? Last year I searched for a template online and made little chef hats with my Preps for Masterchef day (yes, we had Masterchef day at school...) They loved it!

I know it's not exactly food-related but thought I'd mention anyway!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.