How do YOU cook cocktail franks?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 My4Sunshines

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Do you boil or steam them and for how long?

#2 Tarantara

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Bring them from cold to boiling, boil for about a minute. Have heard of people just pouring a boiling kettleful of water over, but that doesn't seem right to me!

#3 SizzleNix

They are actually precooked so its more about heating them.  I usualy boil the water in a pot then put them in the water for a few minutes until they are warmed through.

If you put them in the water and then boil them they will split.

#4 Jacni

I boil them. Put in cold water until boiling.

#5 lolz

I put them in a pot with plenty of cold water then on a med heat until the water is steaming hot and the franks ate hot through. I never boil the water because the skins split and I hate split skins! wink.gif
If I'm in a hurry I'll pop them in a microwave safe bowl in cold water and cook on high for 3 minutes.

#6 bakesgirls

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

I boil them in a pot of water. They go in from when the water is cold.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

They are 'cooked' already, you just need to heat them so boiling a pot of water and dropping them in for a minute is enough. If you let them boil away they will split.

#8 Steggles

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Shudder....

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

I do the same as STBG. Don't forget the little buggers though or they end up looking more like what they started out as.

#10 Tarantara

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

I prefer them when some have split hence boiling them for a minute or two so there are a variety  wink.gif

Edited by Jillian_10, 16 July 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#11 TheGreenSheep

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (lolz @ 16/07/2012, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put them in a pot with plenty of cold water then on a med heat until the water is steaming hot and the franks ate hot through. I never boil the water because the skins split and I hate split skins! wink.gif
If I'm in a hurry I'll pop them in a microwave safe bowl in cold water and cook on high for 3 minutes.

thats what I do.

I cant eat them. Gag. DH and the kids love them for a treat. I always call them snouts, hoofs and camel toes. It drives DH insane. dev (6).gif

#12 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

I boil them from cool water, just for a minute or so.

I think they're yummy once in a while.  They're the only thing I like tomato sauce with.

#13 My4Sunshines

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

I know they are already cooked, though I think I cook them for 'that bit extra just in case' and then I kill them sad.gif

So there is a split with putting them in cold water and dropping them in boiling water!
If you put them in cold water until boiling do they become water logged?

#14 sophiasmum

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Simmer in water on the stove until hot enough to eat original.gif

#15 hodgepodge

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

I cook them in the oven - chopped up on top of a homemade "meatlovers" pizza biggrin.gif

#16 Totoro!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (TheGreenSheep @ 16/07/2012, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always call them snouts, hoofs and camel toes. It drives DH insane. dev (6).gif

Camel toes! Love it. We call them 'lips and a*s*holes' around here, but I'm adding camel toes to the list now  happy.gif

Eta, we never eat them by the way, we just have names for them. Shudder is right!

Edited by Totoro!, 16 July 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#17 Feral timtam

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

I steam them, I hate them when the skin has split or when they are cold. I put them in the steamer with the timer on that way they don't split on me but are warmed through.

#18 BetteBoop

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Microwave for 3 minutes. They always split. Perhaps I should change something?

QUOTE (Steggles @ 16/07/2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shudder....

Now that's un-Australian.

Steggles, is your love of manufactured meat products contained to chicken?

#19 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

oh i must be wierd then... i just bung them on a plate in the mircowave or 30-60 seconds unsure.gif no water or boiling in this household laughing2.gif

#20 clm1982

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Wack them in cold water and put them in the microwave for a few minutes. Easy!

#21 PixieVee

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Steggles @ 16/07/2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shudder....

+1000

#22 Jupiter123

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

oh what your meant to heat them up  tongue.gif I kinda like em cold.

if I have to heat them, then they get nuked for a minute or 2

#23 HeartMyBoys

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

Wrapped in cheese, ham and pastry and in the oven..........yummo!

#24 protart roflcoptor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Well, Kimmy loikes them. Them, and Tiny Teddys.

#25 Totoro!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Are they any worse than pepperoni or cabanossi I wonder? I have no idea what goes into any processed meats, hence the lips and bumholes moniker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.